WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 AM

Cool Holbein WC transparency chart

I have been trying to find a chart of Holbein WC that gives transparency ratings. Anyone know where I can get one?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Holbein WC transparency chart

I sent them an email requesting printed material in July and was told they were updating it (due to updating their watercolor line). I just sent them a reminder at holbeinusainfo (at) aol.com. I asked specifically for that information (transparency/opacity, granulation, staining, etc.) as it is not available on their website color chart.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM

Okay. Good to know! I looked on their website & didn't see that info so I was hoping there was one somewhere that I missed (hope springs eternal). I'm getting really tired of trying to find it!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Charente

Hails from France

I had the same problem when I started using Holbein.
Eventually I sent for a free Holbein colour chart from Jackson's Art and Voila! each colour is coded for transparency, semi transparent opaque etc; etc;

What it doesn't have are the pigment codes or how many pigments used for each colour which is interesting as they often use more than one and the names vary a lot from other manufacturers. However, thankfully all this info is on Dick Blick.com.
Happy painting, how do you find using Holbein?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM

I like Holbein quite a bit. I also use WN which is consistently good. Plus DaVinci, which I also like - especially the price & made in U.S.! I am not familiar with Jackson's. are they online? I am tired of buying color that I think will be transparent & then aren't. I have found quite a range with the Quin colors: the gold & burnt orange are very transparent, but the reds are not. Maybe I will just switch to DS who gives all the info in his catalog!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Riverfrance: I went online to get the Holbein color chart from Jackson's & realized they were in England. I am on the west coast of the US, so that isn't going to help me any, since I don't want to pay shipping charges for a color chart! Darn it!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Hails from United States

As this information (pigments, transparency/opacity, lifting, staining, intense, etc.) is not in a convenient form (some of it not at all) on Holbein's website, here are scans of what I received from them today in the mail. I'm sorry to post them in this form, but I felt the max. width and height restrictions would have made the scans difficult to read.

Holbein.zip

Holbein 2.zip

Greg
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 PM

Thanks, To all of you who gave me info. Yesterday, I sent an email to Blick Art Materials & told them my problem. They wrote me & said they have a chart with all of the info & would be glad to send me one! Now, why didn't I think of that in the 1st place?? I can't believe how helpful everyone is on WC. Happy painting until next time!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Enthusiast
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Greg,

This is brilliant. Thank you very much.

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
Socrates.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Indiana Greg, I appreciate the Holbein Charts so much! Any idea where I can find the same info on Sennelier?

kindly,

Patti in Tucson
Love Matters
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Here's a link to their page: http://www.holbeinhk.com/images/ch_a...ter_colors.jpg

I know that one must be familiar with pigments, as Holbein does have many opaque watercolors. If it has white in it = opaque, definitely....I couldn't read any transparency information on the chart (but that's not saying there isn't one there).

Margarete