WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 06:36 AM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Arrow Weekly Pastel Sketches: 1-7 September

So it's time for me to open up another weekly sketch thread ...

For the benefit of newbies who have never joined the thread before and don't have a clue what it's about (not to mention any oldies out there who just weren't paying attention ) here's the lowdown ...

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, eg. 25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, or one hour. Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off, STOP, and share your efforts with us here!

The idea behind the set times is to get the essentials down on paper without fretting about detail. The exercise is probably most valuable if you can sketch from life but you should feel free to use a reference photo if you prefer.

EVERYONE is welcome to participate in this thread, whether you're new to pastels, a seasoned professional or somewhere in-between. No critiques will be given unless you ask for them, so this is a safe place in which to develop your pastel skills, whatever your level.

Last week's thread was a big success: we had twenty great sketches ~ and a recipe for zucchini bread!! Here's the link to inspire you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=128083

Pastel is the perfect medium for sketching! Please do join in
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire, CT

Hails from United States
I may as well start things off with a sketch, so here's a hasty plein aire from a picnic yesterday. My gf and I cooked turkey burgers and otherwise had a great time, but it was a very dark and uninspiring patch of woods -- this is what I managed:

plein aire 45 minutes on 11x14 golden primed yellow matboard

The mosquito population was very hard-working. We're lucky to have escaped with any blood at all.

-Craig
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 12:34 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Craig, think you did a nice job on this..it recedes nicely and you have nice hightlights on the trees...gotta ask..what are the light piles?

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 01:36 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Nice going, Craig. I like the fact that you often post pics of your setup, too ... I was thinking, well, I know Craig's ingenious, but don't tell me he's found a way to use ketchup in his art! Then I read the bit about the turkey burgers
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Quote:
I know Craig's ingenious, but don't tell me he's found a way to use ketchup in his art! Then I read the bit about the turkey burgers

Loud guffaw!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Super one Craig... Like E-J I thought ...'hellooo tomato ketchup?'.. then realised the setup was your picnic table in the woods.

You are a one Craig.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 10:50 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Looks good to me, Craig!
You mention an unspiring patch of woods...... I was perusing my copy of "Painting From Photographs" today and found several examples by Jackie Simmonds. I was amazed at the beautiful paintings she produced from the mildly pleasant photographs- in some cases she changed the colors completely...dull browns and greens to vibrant blues and purples, for example. I resolved to try to see more potential in the views in front of me - not that I have a clue how to go about it!

my virtual gallery
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 11:40 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States
Craig, you are inspirational. We've just moved to a wooded mountain property that I just love, but I've been looking for focal points and can't find any...duh! Look at the lovely piece you created by just looking in front of you and painting. WOW! And so fast, too!

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire, CT

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Dyin
Craig, think you did a nice job on this..it recedes nicely and you have nice hightlights on the trees...gotta ask..what are the light piles?

lol - that's a good question. i recall asking myself, "why are those rocks fiery light?" i expected them to be rocks, but they;re really just light piles

Quote:
don't tell me he's found a way to use ketchup in his art!

of course not! mustard perhaps, but never ketchup :P

Thanks everyone. Thank you Dyin, E-J, Madder, Mo, sundiver, 1mpete. No sketches yet? It's already the 2nd! If anyone wants a challenge -- ketchup.

-Craig

Look up! Check out the Painting Clouds in Pastel Project -- http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=129371
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 12:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
well, you render light piles magnificently!!!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast
New England/Caribbean

Hails from United States
First Post

Hi everyone -- This is my first post to the weekly sketching thread. I do primarily portraits in colored pencil but I really love the rich colors and vibrancy of pastels. After reading so many of Jackie Simmonds posts about the value of working from life, I have set myself the goal of sketching from life in pastel for at least 45 minutes each day. I am hoping that I will have a fast learning curve, but I have a long way to go as you can see from my first attempts below. I know the values are off in the first post -- the trees and the stonewall are too similar in value but I really didn't know how to proceed without making it too muddy.

Both are on Wallis paper, about 8 x 10 and done in 45 minutes.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 12:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Hi edencompton! Do you need help with the uploader? the keys....ah, I'm jealous!!! Some of my happiest moments in life were spent fishing out on the ocean side and riding the 7 mile bridge on a motorcycle down there...oh yeah, and munching on fried conch....
welcome to the pastel forum btw!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
New England/Caribbean

Hails from United States
Am I a Moron?

I have just tried to reduce my images several times and still can't seem to post. I've done this before -- maybe I've been in the sun too long?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 12:59 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
naw...no moron...technically challenged??? lol....you need to make sure it's a jpeg and that its largest measurement is no larger than 500 pixels...use the uploader above the reply box...browse your puter for the resized piece, and then after you upload it just copy and paste the link right in your reply...hope this helps!

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast
New England/Caribbean

Hails from United States
Fingers Crossed

Am hoping this worked -- thanks for the help.

This first sketch is on Wallis paper, 45 minutes, from a trip home to CT a few days ago. As I said, there are some value problems, I think.