WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2003, 11:32 AM

Hails from United States
Question about a problem

I had a small painting of my dog on Fredrix canvas from a pad. I usually don't work in acrylics but this turned out pretty good. I wanted to mount it hand hang it so I glued it to a board with Elmers glue and hung it. Of course it botherd me because it looked kind of lumpy because the glue wasn't applied evenly. So I took it off and soaked it in water to loosen the glue. This kind of wrecked the painting which I am now fixing. My question is how to mount it properly on a board? There are no boarders to stretch it behind a board. thanks for your help in advance
karenb --I attached the file but I am still in the process of fixing it.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast
Massachusetts

Hails from United Kingdom
Good thing you were working with acrylics! It's also a good thing you removed the Elmers Glue. Elmers glue is not acid-free and therefore will cause damage in the long run. It will go brown and may even seep through the canvas eventually.

If I were you I would take it to an art store to ask for advice.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2003, 04:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Transplanted Okie living in Texas

Hails from United States
I think you should first seal your board as a barrier against any oils in the wood that might seep through..................and then I am wondering why you couldn't use acrylic medium as a glue under your painting......................anyone out there?
my website my blog
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 12:32 AM

Hails from United States
dear JMF and Shirley
Thanks for responding because I really don't know what to do. I think I should just do it over now.
karenb
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 05:00 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
You can use framer's double sided tape just along the top and bottom back edge, or just in the corners to attach to the board. It doesn't need to be completely glued down (but you can use acrylic medium for that if you prefer, or perhaps spray mount). When the frame is on it should be fine! Particularly if it's under glass anyway (which acrylics can be).

I've done the lumpy acrylic medium thing and will never try it again. I ruined an entire painting that way.

Tina.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2003, 11:52 AM

Hails from United States
Dear Tina
Thanks for those suggestions. I actually had a can of spray mount and forgot about it. I think I will redo the painting since I need the practice anyway and since there is still residue of Elmers that I couldn't scrape off. My husband wanted to put some kind of carpet layers cement on it last night and mount it!
Sometimes I laminate my small practice paintings and use them as placemats. Usually I use colored pencils or pastels but I am trying to get some painting experience.
karenb
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
Transplanted Okie living in Texas

Hails from United States
Just be sure you think 'archival' . I doubt carpet layers cement will fill that bill, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Sometimes I laminate my small practice paintings and use them as placemats

What a great idea!
my website my blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2003, 11:54 AM

Hails from United States
Shirley I know you're right, that cement can't be archival! Once my husband oiled the plywood board he cut for me before I went to acrylics class. I had to tape my paper to the board and of course, it wouldn't stick!. he he
I have learned my lesson and am going to be more careful to use the right products in the future.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada
This is what I do, and I learned it here on WC from a well respected artist, Larry Seiler. Here is the article: How to make a canvas board

You basically take a piece of hardboard/MDF/masonite (plywood should work too) and glue the canvas to the board using acrylic medium. I've even done this with Fredrix canvas pad sheets (real canvas) with paintings already on them, just like yours.

What I do is position my board on the back of the canvas and mark the corners with charcoal or pencil so I know where to position it later.

Then I spread acrylic gel medium with a brush onto one side of the board. Then I do the same to the back of the canvas inside my imaginary rectangle with the marked corners. (if the board is the same size as the canvas, then you don't have to worry about marking the corners...I've done it that way too).

By the time I'm done that, the board is dry, so I give it another coat. I make sure everything is even with no globs anywhere, and fairly thin since there will me more than enough on the canvas.

Then I positon the wet side of the board to the wet side of the canvas and slide it to match the corners. I place the whole thing face down onto a larger piece of hardboard for a flat surface, then I stand on it!

After that, I carefully flip it over and lightly rub my fingers over the surface to check for bubbles. If there are any bubbles at all, I use a brayer (a rolling pin would do), and I carefully work the bubbles from the inside out. Be carefull you don't cause dents or grooves in the layer of arcylic medium underneath.

When this is dry, I flip it to the back and cut squares from the corners of the overhanging canvas (if any), then I coat the canvas strips with acrylic medium and stretch them over the edges of the board, smoothing everything with my fingers. If there isn't any canvas to wrap over, then I seal the edges of the board with a bit of acrylic gel medium.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2003, 04:42 PM

Hails from United States
hi

Maverick
Thanks for such detailed info. I got kind of disgusted with the painting and haven't done anything with it yet so will try what you suggested. I read the info from Larry Sellers too. I saw some of your paintings on ebay and they are quite good. How long have you been selling them on ebay? I'm just curious. I bought one from Tracy Root who also sells on ebay.
karenb
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada
Karen, I'll send you a PM.