WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 PM
In my own world/Anywhere

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter "What's the point of photo-realism, when you can take a picture of it?"

I scream inside a little when I hear that. I'm someone focusing on making my Surreal paintings photo-realistic, which I consider very creative. I think photo-realism is very fascinating. To make a painting not look like a painting is amazing to me. What is it that people have against photo-realism? They say "What's the point if you're just going to make it look like a picture?".
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Re: "What's the point of photo-realism, when you can take a picture of it?"

For me personally they are impressive technically but lack expressionism. I like to look to admire the skill and technique but they don't hold my interest long. I appreciate a good photo much more.

I do love to try and paint with that level of skill however.

Also I just love a painting that has a lot of texture and still has the pop of photo-realism--but that's just a matter of personal taste.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 AM
In my own world/Anywhere

Not really. I see where you're coming from that it may lack expression with the way a lot of artist do it, but I do Surreal work, which is made according to my thoughts, dreams, views, etc. I just use photo-realism as technique to make them look even more tripped out and amazing.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

Some photorealism is pretty powerful, but most is pretty boring. I guess the same is true of every artistic approach to a subject, though.

I think strong photorealism involves abstraction that goes "beyond real". Like all art if it brings you into an unexpected relationship, it'll make your novelty-sensors happy.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddballAnn
I scream inside a little when I hear that. I'm someone focusing on making my Surreal paintings photo-realistic, which I consider very creative. I think photo-realism is very fascinating. To make a painting not look like a painting is amazing to me. What is it that people have against photo-realism? They say "What's the point if you're just going to make it look like a picture?".

You're arguing apples and oranges, though, since if you're painting subjects that don't exist outside your head, then they can't be photographed, and so there's as much reason to try for serious realism, as there is not to.
Oddities & Curiosities, Dallas, March 2019
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I guess I'd do photorealism if I could! And my explanation for doing it, "Because I can!" I admire it but I cannot do it.
On the other hand I greatly enjoy some of the stuff I can do but not without thinking, "I wish it looked more real"..... and then I tell myself to take a picture.
I definitely like the stuff I can do but I'm never going to give up wishing that I were able to do something else a different way!
Sheila
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM
olive oyl

I just read something that called photorealism the "virtuosity of rendering." That seems apt. Having an awesome technical skill is always "good" for an artist who wants to master their "craft." Maybe it becomes sort of a fun challenge for the artist or provides a feeling of pride if you can do it well, but I would ask...what does the viewer get from it? I suppose they can say, "Wow Artist, your skills are amazing" and then when they walk away, they walk away with...what exactly?

Personally, I'm looking for something more "soulful" and frankly, this style just isn't it. All surface, no depth.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Like others here, if I COULD draw and paint photo-realistic stuff, I might do it, but ..... it really wouldn't mean much to me. To be able to do so would mean the sky is the limit for me as an artist.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive oyl
I just read something that called photorealism the "virtuosity of rendering." That seems apt. Having an awesome technical skill is always "good" for an artist who wants to master their "craft." Maybe it becomes sort of a fun challenge for the artist or provides a feeling of pride if you can do it well, but I would ask...what does the viewer get from it? I suppose they can say, "Wow Artist, your skills are amazing" and then when they walk away, they walk away with...what exactly?

Personally, I'm looking for something more "soulful" and frankly, this style just isn't it. All surface, no depth.

But, is it really "style", or subject matter? There are works by Vermeer, Ingres, Van Eyck, and even Rembrandt, that appear quite realistic. There are numerous centuries-old still life paintings that appear extremely real (and, if they'd been painted less than one hundred fifty years ago, would surely seem to have been heavily influenced by photography.)

Ad yet, these paintings avoid the "shallowness" that many of us perceive in contemporary "photorealistic" paintings.

I do not believe that the greater the level of technical skill one evinces, the less "emotional content" one's works can exude.

I think many artists focus more on one than the other, but I don't think there's any reason to assume this is by necessity.

There are plenty of artists--Dali, Parrish, Caravaggio, Leighton, Nerdrum, etc.--whose work conveys both formidable skill, and "deeper meaning"...

Oddities & Curiosities, Dallas, March 2019
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Reality is not in the photo realism.

But surreal isn't reality.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

The thing is, realism is popular and it sells so what more could you want.

victor....

The moving finger clicks, and having clicked, logs on.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

photo realism is fabulous when mixed with surrealism!

the first piece on this page is a good example of such ... i'm pretty sure it's digital work, but no matter, it's imaginative, well done stuff

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Trompe l´oeil will always get me :-)

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
In my own world/Anywhere

For the most part, you guys are right that what I'm doing isn't like taking a picture, because it's in my mind. Didn't think of it that way.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Immortalized

I think there may be some misunderstanding of the type of skill that goes into much of photorealist painting. Witness the working methods of Yigal Ozeri, who does photorealist paintings of girls outdoors.
He takes HD photographs of the girls outdoors, just as he wants for the painting, enlarges the photos to the full size of the intended painting and copies all of it very exactly square inch next to square inch. As the photos are his only model at that point, he makes sure he copies all the photographic quirks and depth of field characteristics. When he is finished he has a more or less complete transfer of the same-size photograph to a visually equivalent painted copy. The size is usually 40 x 50 inches or so, to make the transfer easier. Google image search Yigal Ozeri for some photos of his working setup.

I think the phrase, "level of skill" is very much misplaced here, unless you think copying photos this way involves a great deal of skill. One day soon someone may line up such works with their accompanying photo enlargement sources, as well as the work the artists were able to do without photos, and a real re-assessment would occur of what skill actually goes into this kind of painting.