WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2003, 02:34 PM
Brasília

Hails from Brazil
how to evaluate acrylic paint quality

hi, i'm new here.
i've been lurking for some time, read a lot of threads, and all the projects/articles, and have plenty of questions, but i'm going to begin with one that's been really eating at me, since i decided to paint in the acrylic medium.

how do i know if my acrylic paint is of decent quality?

i live in brazil, and the only acrylic paints i have access to are gato preto, acrilex, and corfix, meaning they're the only ones made in brazil, and therefore within my budget. i could get winsor and newton and a couple of other imports, but they're REALLY expensive, specially considering the dollar is peaking at R$3.00 right now.

thanks in advance for any input.

adriano
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2003, 11:50 PM
A Local Legend
Indiana

Hails from United States
I would try to contact the manufacturers of those paints and request the information from them on their longevity. The manufacturer's name and at least partial location should be shown on the tubes of paint; otherwise ask where you purchased the paint what kind of manufacturer's information they have on it.

I tried to do some websearches for you, but the only information I'm finding isn't in english...so I can't even help you there. You might want to try doing a search on google and see what you come up with.

Good luck!

Ivy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2003, 08:49 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
The paints should list the pigments on the tube. If they don't, they're not serious paints. It's important to know the exact pigments to know the lighfastness.

To me, the most important thing is the consistency. Some cheap arylics are sticky and plastic-y feeling, while good ones are short and buttery. Chroma and opacity are important too. But even if you have cheap paints, don't worry. It's very possible to do nice work even with cheap craft paints; the skill of the artist is far more important than the quality of the paints.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Brasília

Hails from Brazil
ivy,

i'll look into that. i'm at work now so i can't check for the pigments on the paint tubes either.

thank you so much for taking the time to do that. i appreciate.
i'm doing a search right now, and so far i found that gato preto (which is the one i'm using) is manufactured by a company called tec-screen, but their site is temporarily out. i'll have to check back later.
thanks again.

domer,

i'll check the paint tubes when i get home, but the plastic-y dragging feel is really what made me ask the question here.

i just check out the acrilex site, and they manufacture student and artist paints, unlike gato preto.

i guess i could get some imported paints just to make a comparison.

thanks for the input.

Last edited by postalblue : 08-20-2003 at 01:21 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2003, 12:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States
Good evening.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to find local artists who work in acrylic, and ask them what brand(s) they use, and where they purchase their supplies.

K