WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2003, 02:55 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Weekly Pastel Thread 11th -16th Aug.

Ready for another folks?... Here it is, let's see what you come up with this week...more office equipment, some scenics... some flowers....whatever you choose.....maybe a self portrait by ...you know who..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off......stop, and post it here...

The idea behind the set times is so that you learn eye and hand co-ordination, be able to paint what you see without being bogged down by detail and therefore improving your skills.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between....... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them. It's great fun so do join in.

Here's the link to last weeks quickies.:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=123692
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Cheshire, CT

Hails from United States
Last night I decided to give my girlfriend's bird, Harley, a try. I meant to do a painting as a gift for her, but it ended up as more of a pastel drawing. The bird is a rarer sort of albino cockatoo without much coloration. So, I kept the background drab to keep it from distracting -- I wanted the colors I did give him to stand out more. I'm worried this makes the whole thing too washed-out though. Also, I played up the color on his feet/talons since it's almost the only splash of color on his body, and I liked the claws (he's a cute bird, but he has really out-of place talons fer a little guy).

Although I originally planned on spending more time with this. After blocking in the lights and darks I found myself adding a few details and calling this more or less done after about 45 minutes.

45 minutes - rembrandts on bluish gray colourfix primer - 9x12

suggestions are very welcome

-Craig
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Manchester .Uk

Hails from United Kingdom
Craig this is lovely.......you have caught the pose really well!
Just a thought(ignore it if you like) would a touch of a comlimentary colour in the backgreound help make the subject pop?........you have lilac type colours in there....and i think the comlimentary is yellow.
Like it as it is too.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Immortalized
My Heart's in Marquette, My butt's stuck in Vegas!

Hails from United States
That looks really good for 45 minutes. Did someone mention drawing office supplies??? Who me? And I was thinking of drawing more lunch stuff...
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Craig do you mean cockatiel? As I recognise that look there.... it's just like my Macky looks.

You've captured the cheeky nature of the bird marvellously well.

Greg... are we looking forward to a still life of say apples or pears or a yoghurt, or a sarnie......or maybe fish& chips ::
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2003, 09:45 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Craig...love what you did with this...and in 45 minutes...I am SO jealous...you caught the look perfectly! I like it as is...hope you're still giving it to your sweetie!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2003, 11:37 PM
NY

Hails from United States
This is wonderful you really caught Harley's face. Just to clear up a few things He is a white faced cockatiel and his talons do need a manicure. I can't wait to hang this up probably on the wall above his cage.

-Sonia =^.^=

BluDragon Art- My webpage!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 01:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
"Cheeky" is the perfect description of cockatiels... hee hee.

Craig, just a touch more light in his eye (the lack of which may just be the fault of the photograph, but in case not...) would make me engage with him more. His gesture invites me to get to know him, maybe invite him to hop over here and talk to me. He's wonderful.
Gouache Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
No fish and chips here, I'll see what I can come up with from what I brought, it's been a lousy day so far... @#(%@&^$% collating machine...
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 03:37 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
hmmm...here's a loaded question...what's a collating machine and...what's it look like??? hope it starts co-operating lol!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
What the machine is SUPPOSED to do is to take individual sheets (6 is this case) put them in order and then send them to a machine that folds them neatly so I can tab and address them. The problem is that it does not want to send them to the folder... grrrr so now I am just collating them and feeding the folder manually... Oh, well I saved my banana for a possible sketch later today...
My Website
Stock Photos
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2003, 05:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Vegas, in lieu of your self-portrait, how about your hand feeding the machine? It conjures images for me! Just a thought...

Hope to have something to post here myself soon, too.
Gouache Blog
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire, CT

Hails from United States
Thank you everyone!

angeline -- I ended up too afraid to go back and touch it up, but I probably should have put some low intensity yellows in the background -- very good suggestion

mo - I can't believe I forgot it was a cockatiel Yup, yer darn right, and I'm not sure what it means exactly, but they certainly do look cheeky! btw, i remember seeing that pic of macky from a while back -- such a good pose i think he likes the limelight.

dyin - many thanks, and yup, I delivered it over to her this evening

dee_artist - many thanks -- there;s a bit more highlight in the original, but it could do with a tad more -- I agree that he's posturing in a really curious / engaging manner and the twinkle would add some charm and invitation -- many thanks

anodyne -- can't believe I called your harley a cockatoo -- he's far too cheeky for that (hey, just because I'm unsure what it means doesn';t mean I can';t throw around the term ). I'm thrilled you like it, thank you love.

Thanks everyone

now I'm going to finally go look up the word cheeky (though I've heard the term cheeky-monkey on sat night live :P )

-Craig
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Craig!!! I love your girl's lovely bird!!! Well done you really captured that look that these birds have!!

HEY there's a doggie thread and a kitty thread so why not start a birdie thread???!!

come on Vegas!! We're still waiting for the portrait!!

nadine
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Quote:
mo - I can't believe I forgot it was a cockatiel Yup, yer darn right, and I'm not sure what it means exactly, but they certainly do look cheeky! btw, i remember seeing that pic of macky from a while back -- such a good pose i think he likes the limelight

Craig.... don't they alll