WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 12:44 AM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
daily scumble 9 August

Greetings - oh boy - my first opportunity to start a scumble - I guess it's possible being so far East at this time.

Ok - it's been a hot and humid week and vacation. How humid you ask??? Well humid enough to melt off the vegetable matter on my Sennelier LeCarte Paper so that I found myself pasteling around the scraped off areas. Wow - thank goodness I didn't have my hard pastels or else it would have been even more of a disaster!!!

Actually - I'm hoping for a bit of a break in the weather tomorrow so I can finish a few more pieces of art before the show on Sunday. Wish me luck and I'll check in as I can.

Hope everyone is keeping cool!!! Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 01:17 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
good luck!!!! Can't wait to hear about the show...humidity sure is making things hard for you...hope it eases some, but having grown up in humid back east country...I doubt it...good to hear from you!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Manchester .Uk

Hails from United Kingdom
Ohhhh Barb ........good luck for the show on sunday.....you will knock their socks off!
I have been busy catching up with friends on my days off......so much to do so little time!
We went raspberry picking on thurs so i have promised my daughter we will make ice-cream today....oh and merangue......going to get some strawberrys to go in too.
I might just get some time to do some artwork too if i'm lucky!
It's bright and sunny here again today.
Have a good day.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 06:20 AM
A Local Legend

Hi Barb and everyone! Good luck on the show, and ....er....can we expect some pics of it??

Warm day ahead, off to the garage for the car and then to cycle shops to look for some nice bikes. Looking forward to it, but not the heat of the afternoon.

Have a good one all!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 07:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Good Luck Barb! If you can, take some snapshots of your booth and all your happy customers!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 08:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Wow! Just checked my email and found a nice surprise. I received a WC Community Service Medal. Not sure how these are awarded, but thanks to all who made this possible and all the great WC community members!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from England
congrats kyle...well deserved

Good luck Barb

Phew it's a scorcher here...hope everyone is well
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 09:36 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Kat....you SO deserve this medal, you're always helping others here and keep things rolling a lot! Congratulations!!!!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 11:47 AM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Hi all!
I just have a few minutes here before we ride off again.
Barb, are you still in Maine? We roared through there last night, having begun our morning in Albany NY and spending a couple of hours in Boston. It was humid, all right, and the road from Bangor to Calais was foggy and rainy on top of the fact that it's also the twistiest road ever and hilly and full of moose and deer! We got home at 2:30 a.m.
I did some plein aire sketches in the car- views of various US highways mostly- but won't have time to scan them until I get back from PEI.
I probably won't even have time to surf through the forum to get caught up on what you've all been doing.
Cheers,
Wendy

my virtual gallery
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 12:28 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Could it BE any hotter??

Kat ~ splendid stuff

Hayley ... I've tried several recipes but have never got the hang of making meringues ... stupid things ... mine always go pthhhhhhtt and end up all sad and deflated ... even Nigella can't help me! What's the secret?

Happy bike-hunting Sophie! I need to buy one too ... but won't be looking for a 'nice' one as it is destined to either get stolen or be mangled when I'm knocked off it again, as I inevitably will be sooner or later A nice cheap old pile of metal will do.

I finally got round to ordering a custom double mount for one of my paintings today. It cost £10.50 (seems expensive) and will take almost a week to arrive (seems long) but I thought I'd give this particular framing shop a try. The girl there was superhelpful when it came to dimensions and measurements but quite ignorant about pastels: she told me if I was worried about pastel dust falling off that I should just spray a lot of fixative on the work. Yeah, whatever.

Good to see you back, Wendy

Enjoy Saturday!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
My Garden is a Sun trap........ especially where we tend to sit....... we just got a themometer to see how hot it is out there...... 118!! degrees!! ....... and went out and bought a parasol.... its 90!! in its shade

..... pheww!!...... Im melting
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Manchester .Uk

Have we all enjoyed today?
I made icecream......but didn't get to doing merangues......we took the children to a little fair at our local park instead!
EJ the trick is to whisk the egg whites really really stiff......and be sure you have a clean bowel.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 05:54 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
I had a good day...I painted for the first time since a near disaster on my WIP on Tuesday...and I accomplished what I needed done today...it's terribly scary when you almost ruin a good painting and really hard to go back to it, don't you think?
E-J...been years since I've made meringue but sprinkling in the sugar a little as a time as you beat it helps get it stiff...
I'm 102.9 here but sort of used to it anymore...just think about icy roads and scraping windows and freezing blizzards...then it doesn't seem so bad...
Hi & bye Wendy!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2003, 07:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Had a so-so day - been working on an oil pastel that just doesn't get it. Needs lots of work - but darn when you are doing plants in a garden and it looks like its under the sea, I think I took a wrong turn somewhere.

I keep on making the same darn mistake by putting in my darks too soon and then I can't get the lights to come up.

Gurgle, gurgle

Last edited by Kathryn Wilson : 08-09-2003 at 07:09 PM.