WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast
Franklin, TN USA

Hails from United States
Re: Best Landscape books

Geoff -

Well I signed up and am looking forward to it (Albert Handell workshop). He called back personally and took down the info, so I am ready!!

Johnnie
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Santa Cruz, CA

Hails from United States

Hawthorne on Painting

All words, mostly comments on student paintings you cannot see. It is focused on painting from life. First published in 1938. Not a cookbook "how too paint". Schmid's and Macpherson's books repeat and expand a lot on Hawthorne.

Comment at will

"Go my sons, buy stout shoes, climb the mountains, search the valleys, the deserts, the seashores, and the deep recesses of the earth."

Petrus Severinus (1571)
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Coulton Waugh's book "Landscape Painting With a Knife" is out of print but still obtainable used sometimes. It is the book that got me interested in landscape painting in the first place. He is a real advocate of clean, bright color, and gives clear demonstrations of the huge range of effects you can get with a knife. Some of the pigments he suggests are out of date, as it was written in the early seventies, but that can be easily corrected. (Example--I wouldn't suggest using real alizarin crimson anymore now that the Mighty Quins are available.) His writing style is a lot of fun.

Sarah
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Joshua Tree

Hails from United States

Seems most of the standard books have been mentioned. Just a note on Edgar Payne's book, which I have. It is only about how to arrange compositions of landscapes, not how to paint trees and rocks. Composition is very important. (It's published by a gallery in California and takes a couple weeks to ship.) Apparently he was working on a technique and style book but never completed it.

Here's a different type of recommendation: "The Painted Sketch: American Impressions of Nature, 1830-1880", by Eleanor Jones Harvey. This is not a "how to" book, but rather a curated survey of field studies by early Hudson River School artists. Basically covers the earliest history of plein air painting in America.

Last edited by Mark Diederichsen : 02-22-2005 at 05:47 PM.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast
the Deep South

Hails from United States

I've been coveting one of Stirisik's books, but haven't been able to find one for what I would consider paying for it. You got a bargain.
The note is interesting. Looks like the same person did all of it, doesn't it?
Which makes the second half confusing to me.

My blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Acrylic Landscape Painting Techniques by Hugh Greer. I've only had a quick glance at it, but I was impressed enough to want to buy it. I got a copy off Ebay for under $8.00 including shipping. I just checked and there are several more for sale for $3.95 which is a little less than I bought it for.

"Inspiration", the gift that keeps on giving.

Don
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

I was making the color charts for a while. I actually enjoyed making them. It speeded up my mixing. I learned very quickly which colors are very strong and which are weak. How much white it takes to actually change to the next value. It is a good exercize. I would highly recommend it to any begining artist.

Another good book is "How Did You Paint That? 100 Landscape Paintings" I think that is the title. It was suggested to me and I bought it off Ebay for $18.00. They have 100 paintings, oil, acrylics, pastels, watercolor. Each one is by a different artist. They deal with design, technique, color, composition and a variety of other things. They talk BRIEFLY about how they laid it out, and painted each painting. Some offer tips, mostly painting Plein Aire. The one thing I found disappointing about the book, is they don't go into enough detail about how they painted. I do like he way they have a thumb nail painting at the beginning of the book with a number. Then you can easily and quickly find the number to read about the painting.

Have a nice day,
Don
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2005, 02:03 PM
ocala florida

Hails from United States

May I join in? Just read "plein air painting in watercolor and oil "by Frank LaLumia and the entire book is great but if your read the conclusion,you'll realize why it is all worthwhile. Enjoy..
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 PM

Re: Larry- on painting skies

Landscapes can focus on either skies or ground. One must be dominant over the other. Most landscapes provide for a choice. If the sky is dominant, could you provide some practical advice on which proportions (sky vs. ground) are generally most successful. I am aware that canvases can be almost evenly split. I am also aware of the thirds and fifths. Can you offer any other advice. Many of the early plein air painters in Italy starting in the early 19th century, often chose almost even splits. What role can clouds play in unifying sky and ground? Thanks for your response.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2005, 12:57 AM
A Local Legend
Sierra Mardre

Hails from United States

Carlson's book is recommend by the top guys so there must be something to it. It's a bit wordy and philosophical at times, but the older I get I find thought, state of mind and feeling are essences to a good painting experience. When you paint you must be clear headed, rested, confident, relaxed yet energized and open to taking in the feeling of the moment. You need to have the technique part memorized and then let it flow out. Years ago I was obsessed with technique and couldn't see the forest for the trees. Maybe you should revisit Carlson on vacation when you're not in a hurry to learn as fast as you can. All the other authors mentioned on this thread are good and another favorite is Trevor Chamberlain books written by Ron Ranson.

Last edited by Bill Wray : 07-28-2005 at 12:59 AM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

To me, a great book (like a great workshop) is one that has one useful bit of information that sings to me and applies to my art at the time. Carlson has great information - especially for the current price of the softcover. But I've found it useful to read and digest a bit at a time. As artists, we prefer the beautiful color photos which this book doesn't have.

TurboCat - I've taken two of Albert Handel's workshops. He is an inspiration and living master in landscapes and pastel. When discussing your painting process at the easle, listen to his comments and ask questions rather than explain your process. You'll get more information that way. You may find that his wife, Anita, can intuitively assess your needs based upon your artistic level. Albert and Anita have developed mentoring workshops that meet/work plein air without specific demos and I'm thinking of trying one of those. Have fun at the workshop.
Cheryl
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Just a quick suggestion. In addition to the county library I visit weekly, we have a university near us. I was going to use the interlibrary loan at $5.00 / volume, but they suggested I try the university's library, so I did. They have 4 S. Allyn Schaeffer's books, 1 - Paul Strisk, 1 - Emile Gruppe, and shelves of other books that I'll have to look at as time allows.

So, don't forget your local college or university library when you're looking for good art books to read.

Don
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 06:27 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLNjLo
Schmid's sense of connection and respect for other painters has nothing to do with clouding a message being wordy and emotional. One of Schmid's strongest virtues is keeping such digressions as "the wrestlings of the mind" to a minimum. He acknowledges that artists naturally spend some time struggling with deeper aspects of creativity but he does not take advantage of the bully pulpit in his books and videos. He chooses to focus on practical information. Emotion is part of the process but he does not indulge in emotion as he describes his painting technique. As a result, his message is very clear.
Schmid has strong opinions and presents them succinctly and, to me, with a twinkle in his eye. I enjoy Schmid's mind just as much as his paintings. But Alla Prima was published in 1999 and the writing of the 1920s was entirely different. One on my favorite art books--LOADED with digressions, btw--is The Art Spirit, by Robert Henri. There is barely a paragraph devoted to straightforward instruction yet I've learned a bunch from it and read it again every year or so. I see how this painter thinks, something missing from most instructional books.

C&C appreciated. "A studio is a good place to smoke your pipe." (Joaquin Sorolla)
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:50 PM

Hails from United States

This has been an enjoyable and educational thread.

I bought "Carlson's Guide to Landscaping" on the strength of the remarks made about it here. To my surprise, after all the comments, it turns out to be more practical than philosophical, though it certainly has its share of philosophy, mostly towards the end. In any case, I love the book, and feel like I have learned plenty from it on both levels.

RE Carlson's remarks that painting cannot be taught, I have heard my own instructor say the same thing. I believe what they mean is that you can't learn it from reading a book, or listening to instructions or even watching demonstrations. You must do those things of course, but you don't learn until you actually go out and do the thing yourself. That is the point, IMO. The analogy that makes it clear is that you also cannot learn to drive a car by reading about it; you've got to actually get in the car and start practicing.

I do also think that by the time you reads a book on a specific type of painting, landscaping, portrait, whatever, it is presupposed that you already have mastered some of the basics, drawing, paint manipulation, etc.

I'm just beginning to do landscapes, which is what has always interested me...have been taking classes instead in figurative work, which I saw as the prerequiste. I have met a good landscape artist as well, from whome I hope to get some tips...he comes to the same life class as I do to draw or paint the model.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2006, 09:57 PM

I've been enjoying reading all of these posts - but was surprised that Birge Harrison's classic, LANDSCAPE PAINTING, was never mentioned. This book was lent to me by one of my teachers and it was her opinion that this was the best place to start when begininning to see and depict the land. I like Edgar Payne's, Arthur Wesley Dow's, Lois Griffel's and John Carlson's books too. But Birge Harrison's tops my list. Second is INDEPENDENT SPIRITS - Women Painters of the American West, 1890 - 1945 edited by Patricia Trenton. This isn't strictly about landscape painting. But it does speak eloquently about many fine painters of the land, thier challenges and thier work - very inspiriing.

-Mary Klein