WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland
Lee Hammond book of crayon drawing

Im intrigued by this book by Lee Hammond - all the artwork has been done with crayola crayons, and looks really good to me. Has anyone bought this and tried crayon drawing?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1440308101/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Lee Hammond book of crayon drawing

I took a look at the reference and some of the works - not sure if I really like them Lexy. They look sort of gritty and rather 'artificial'. I think you do such fabulous work, stick to your style. I love it.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Well I dont know much about crayons other than they are wax based like the prismas but I think maintaining a point would be hard. I also looked at the book and I agree with Cammi. Why change your work is outstanding. I think it is interesting but I would not change.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Lake Tapps, WA

Hails from United States

About 15 years ago when my daughter was in grade school I volunteered as a parent helper. Once the teacher found out I was an artist she requested some artwork for her classroom (only too happy to help). Since what we decided to have me make were larger pieces I actually did them with Crayola Crayons. Both of us were impressed with what could actually be done with the crayons, but it was definitely a different technique to getting the rich color. Sorry - no photos since it was done so long ago and I wasn't thinking too much about it, but I ran into this teacher a year or so ago and she told me that she still uses the art - and still tells the kids this is work done with crayons. At the time I thought I would try to really explore this medium, but the pencils were in my blood at that time and I couldn't put them down
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

I love using Crayola Crayons. I've only completed one finished drawing with them, but it turned out pretty well. They are really good to use for big drawings since they are difficult to sharpen to a fine point.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

I stood and paged through her book in the shop, and was absolutely amazed at what she had achieved with crayons. But as has been pointed out, probably very different techniques! I am still tempted to go and buy the book, though, because she did amazing works!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I'm not sure but I think it would be similar to using oil pastels. What is the quality of Crayola crayons regarding lightfastness and are they archival?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Immortalized

Oh my goodness Wow!! And crayons are cheaper!

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
North Carolina

When I first moved to East Coast I was broke and jonesin' really bad for something to draw/paint with. Couldnt afford anything tho but crayons soooooo...... this is what i accomplished with them........

P.s. this is before i saw Hammonds book about crayons. BUT, when i did see it I wanted it. Found it at a book store and leafed through it. There was all of maybe 3 things that was useful. The rest of it is a learning curve you have to deal with on your own depending on style/technique.

Some of the detail on the frog was done with crayola colored pencil..sorry for the graininess...(the frog was finished and my sister in law got it before i could take new pic.)

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast

If you haven't seen Don Marcos work you will be blown away! He uses Crayola Crayons...and he is known as the Master Crayon Artist.

Www.mastercaryonartist.com.

Some of his work sells for big $$$. I didn't take time to browse his offered sales but one original that I saw was selling for $3000!!!!

He has prints offered as well.

I have the book, but must confess that I haven't done much with my art for quite a long time.

Pam
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Wow, now that is a different calibre altogether from Lee Hammond. Don Marco is a magician with those crayons. Absolutely mindboggling work.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de