WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:29 PM
A Local Legend
NW Arkansas

Hails from United States
Re: How do you accept live payments?

I have a credit card machine at work, but when I do home shows I take forms with me and fill out the cc#, the amount, the zip code that goes with the customer's card, and the three digit code on the back (which is for VISA or MC, credit or debit). I just run it through manually when I get to work.

Maybe if you knew someone who would run the cards for you for a small fee? I wouldn't suggest doing it for free, because it costs a little to run each card.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by samben84
I have a credit card machine at work, but when I do home shows I take forms with me and fill out the cc#, the amount, the zip code that goes with the customer's card, and the three digit code on the back (which is for VISA or MC, credit or debit). I just run it through manually when I get to work.

Maybe if you knew someone who would run the cards for you for a small fee? I wouldn't suggest doing it for free, because it costs a little to run each card.

You do realize that by entering the credit card numbers manually that you are paying a much higher merchant interest rate? It can as much as 2% more over a swiped credit card.

What do you do if a credit card is declined and they already have your art?

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 PM
A Local Legend
NW Arkansas

Hails from United States

I do know that, but you just have to add that to your price. At least you have it available.

I haven't had any problem with a card being declined yet at a home show, but I have at the store. I would just contact them and explain the situation and get payment some other way. You run the same risk by accepting a personal check. I know there are a few people out there that would intentionally do it, but I am naive enough to believe people's best intentions. Of course, you can make it clear that there is a substantial fine if a check bounces or a credit card is declined.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

Be careful about adding credit card fees to a purchase, in many states it is not legal. I have read that there is a federal law pending that would allow you to do this. There is a class action lawsuit going on about this.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
A Local Legend
NW Arkansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
What is a Checkout Fee?

A checkout fee, or payment card surcharge, is an unfair surprise fee that a retailer tacks onto a consumer's bill when he or she uses a credit or debit card. Visa rules do not allow retailers to charge cardholders a checkout fee for using their cards, mirroring laws in 10 U.S. states
- quoted from VISA.com

I absolutely do not add it on at the end as a surprise fee. I have to pay my credit card bill, along with my mortgage and utilities every month. That is just a part of setting your normal prices for anything you are selling. You try to cover your costs and try to make a little profit.

Last edited by samben84 : 08-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Lord of the Arts
WA

Hails from United States

As we know, Mather Nature abhors are shows. This was her weather joke for today to make sure no one showed up for the festival:

Temps around 100º, high humidity, and the festival was out in a big crop field with not a speck of shade anywhere. Even our white tent felt more like a hot house than shade.

Needless to say, I did need a credit card reader.
But, it's good to have all this information anyway for future ... and hopefully milder weather ... events.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by CSForest : 08-18-2012 at 01:17 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:24 PM

I use iZettle, do you have that in the States? Its for either Android of Iphones, so yea, smart phones. Only avaliable for android if you have a Samsung Galaxy note, Sgs2 or 3. Ive used it 3 times now, very handy, but easy to forget about the 2.75% fee, and when you, as I did today, take payment of 1200 bucks, its still an annoyingly significant amount, especially if youre on a budget, as Its seems I always am.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM

I only receive card payment occasionally so iZettle works well for me in that if I don't need to use it, I don't have a monthly bill to pay.

Though there is only one drawback in that they should charge less for high purchase, if you go over a certain amount a month they should charge you less percentage on the transactions

Alternatives to iZettle

While iZettle is a powerful product, there are multiple competitors in the UK. Some of them are:
SumUp
Square
Worldpay Zinc
Payleven
SmartTradeApp
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSForest
If I want unlimited minutes/data, etc, it can top $150/mo (121 Euro)! Am I wrong? Anyone here in the US have a smartphone with a monthly fee lower than that?
I don't have unlimited, but I've never used up my bandwidth either. I have Republic Wireless and an Android I got used on Amazon for $99 and my monthly fee is never more than $20. Usually they refund me about $5 that I didn't use. It works by glomming onto wifi when it's around and otherwise uses cell. I can watch movies and get into my Paypal and Bank accounts, the whole nine yards. It stays on wifi at home.

By not being able to take cards, you are losing hundreds of dollars, not saving money by not having a smartphone.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRC
Interesting to read all the ways that one can process a sales transaction. Curious, if I were the buyer, how is my credit card information safe while it is travelling through wireless airwaves? As the seller, am I doing due diligence on behalf of my customer to safeguard their information while it is travelling through to Square or PayPal? Or, am I fretting about nothing?
It's not when it's travelling through the airwaves that you have to worry about it. It's when the waiter takes it to the cash register at a restaurant, a salesclerk runs it at a store, or when you use it to buy gas (skimmers--my bank told me just plain never use a card at a gas station). Those are the biggest times for stealing card info, not when you're using it online or processing a card with wireless. However, in my world, you never want to actually know the customer's card number (why I would not want to process cards by writing down the number and PIN) because a) if it gets compromised, you are liable, and b) as someone already mentioned, it at least doubles the fee you have to pay.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I wonder how Crista made out six years ago and if she got a smartphone?

I just wanted to throw out there that I use Ting, you pay only what you use every month. My bills vary from about $30 to about $50, and those expensive months have been when something was going on in the family that required long long frequent conversations and lots of texts.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 03:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States

I used Square for payments and not sure but I think they now can process payments with other phones. If you have an account, pull up your browser on the phone. I really like their service! and they only charge when you use their service.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2018, 09:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

I am guessing this place does not have wi-fi? Anyway to get a paypal transfer you tell them your e-mail and they send the money. They are the only people who need the smart phone. Now it is good to have one because who knows if they actually sent it? Maybe paypal will send you a text when the amount comes in?

I don't have a smart phone either. Same reason. I call someone maybe once a week, if that (sometimes more than one call a day though) and I just use it as a watch to check the time and use the alarm. Otherwise I don't want phones anywhere near me.