WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Scanners vrs cameras

Hello,

Just wondering if it is better to get a quality scanner for smaller works rather than taking photos? We finally have a good camera but don't have photo shop so we are finding that it picks things up really well but then it doesn't make a true representation of the scratchbord work, plus we don't know how to use the camera properly. Hope that makes sense. If you recommend a scanner can you also recommend a brand.

Thanks heaps
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: Scanners vrs cameras

For small works I prefer a scanner. It will pick up the detail much sharper than any camera that I have owned (and I own some good ones). My scanner is an epson perfection v30, but it is a few years old and I am sure there are newer versions of it. However with that said, I still edit in a photo program. I have photoshop, but Gimp is a good free program as an alternative that many use. I use it to get the contrast and colors just right!

Here is a comparison between a 'sharp' photo and the same work from my scanner. You can see how much finer the lines are from the scan and how it picks up all the minor variations that the camera lens missed.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Thanks so much, I can definitely see the difference. I will get my husband to look into gimp, he is the computer and camera man.
Much appreciated.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 AM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

I agree with Cathy. I have a Nikon D50 and D70 and my scanner is way above them for quality. I had one that just plain wore out. It was an Epson V10 and my husband just got me another one that turns out is an Epson V33. It is pretty much the same scanner. Love it! My older one lasted forever. I use it for small boards and my large ones....some taking 6 scans that I have to 'stitch' together. I use GIMP for my photo program.

I got my scanner at Staples for about $100.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

Great info you guys! Thanx
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 AM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Scanner, definitely. I've been using Microtek scanners over the years and have been very happy with them, but Epson is also a good brand, as Cathy mentioned.

One thing I discovered with my scanner is that it's best not to allow the software to do any correcting. It took me a while, but I found the setting that lets me scan closest to "raw". I was losing a lot of the detail in the lightest areas until I found that option. I still have to do a fair amount of cleaning and some contrast adjustment in Photoshop.

For color works, every so often, I have to go to my camera to get a better color match - but that's for things that have a really wide color variation and with bright, vibrant colors (some of my crazy watercolor paintings). For natural tones, like what you'd see with most scratchboard drawings, you should be fine with a scanner.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I also vote for scanners. I have an Epson, but I've used Agfa's and Hp's. There are so many photo editing programs out there... knowing Photoshop is a bonus, not a "must have". There are also different levels of Photoshop.
I think one step at a time will keep you from getting frustrated and keep it fun.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 AM

thanks for the info.. think I will be looking for a scanner.....!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Florida on the beautiful Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

I also use a scanner vs a camera....I have a large format scanner that can scan my 11x14 boards with no problems and with room to spare...it actually scans as large as a 12x16.

the make is a Mustek Scan Express A3 1200 Pro USB Large Format Scanner I found mine on Amazon for just over $200 but just gone on and they are offering it at $175...it is a great scanner I have had no issues with it and with the quality...but like everyone eles I do still have to do some color adjusting, with that I use Photoshop Elements 8 it is a cheaper option then buying the actual photoshop program and in my experiance it works just as well and is much easier to use.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM

I also opt for a scanner. Epson v600 here. My only issue with it, is it seems to have some dust stuck on the inside of the glass. But nothing so bad that a few quick edits don't take care of.

I found and use a program called paint.net its a free program and I've heard its a bit more simplistic than gimp. But it still seems to do the colour editing and such that I need it to. And it doesn't spam me with ads to -Buy the Free version TODAY! Which is a big plus to me.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 AM

Thank you all very much. I really appreciate all your help and advice.