WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 AM

Best online depiction of pastel stick colors?

Does anyone have an opinion on which art supply stores have the most accurate online color depictions of open stock soft pastels? I know that even manufacturer's digital color charts are not always that accurate.

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Best online depiction of pastel stick colors?

I like Dakota Art Pastel's photos the best, and often times Dick Blick has some pretty accurate pics as well. They're not exact, but pretty close.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2012, 01:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Hi, Thacher! I like Fine Art Store's online color samples.

Don't forget the other side of the coin. Regardless of how "accurate" the posted colors are, they'll look wrong if your own monitor isn't correctly calibrated. Remarkably complicated business!

Jan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I find searching for accurate colors online is a gamble, at best.

This may not solve your immediate problem, but what I do is collect the color sample brochures printed by the manufacturers, cut them into strips and make a color swatch of the real thing below it. That way I have color name and number, the way it looks in print and the way it looks in reality all in one place. When I go online I can ignore the colors and purchase the correct hue via name and number.

Of course, if you don't have the color and are looking to decide what to buy online, you have to approximate, in which case the advice you have from Chris and Jan is good, IMHO. If that's the case, it's often helpful to ask the folks here to help you out! Tell them what color you're looking for and see what they say...
Gouache Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful. Deborah: Where can one get the color sample brochures printed by the manufacturers? I have the available digital versions, but these present the same type of problems I have with the online versions by artist supply stores. Do you have to attend one of the national get-togethers like the Pastel Society of America’s National Exhibition, Artists’ Materials Expo, etc to pick them up? I have one of the handmade color charts (Sennelier) from Dakota Art Pastels which are quite nice.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I was able to pick them up at a local art supply store. Admittedly, in this day of printing your own, those may be a thing of the past. You might ask if suppliers like Dakota or Fine Art Store have them available, or request them from the manufacturers. As a teacher, I often received samples with a stack of brochures to give my students.
Gouache Blog