WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Tattoo needle help

I wonder if we could get some input on the different sizes and types of needles that some of you are using with such great results. I was delighted that in Lorna's WIP of Evalyn that she told us it was a #9 round liner, rather than just "tattoo needle".

I have acquried a box of the 50 X 7 Mag I stack, and am not real happy with them, they are extremely flexible, and take an awful lot of pressure to remove any ink at all. But there seem to be an almost endless assortment of sizes and types of needles, so a little guidance would sure be appreciated by those of us with no knowledge of the finer points of tattoo.

Becky
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States
Re: Tattoo needle help

On my rock in the bear work, I used a flat 5-tine. I have no idea what you would call it. Did you put yours in a holder? I have no holder so am using just the needle full length. I grip it down by the solder joint and sometimes even lower to get pressure I need. Up higher will be soft, down lower will stiffen the tines.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

I had posted this link that describes the different types of needles. It doesn't help much in finding out how they scratch, but you can at least get an idea of the different point arrangements.

http://www.taptatdaddio.com/The%20Ta...e%20Primer.pdf

The mags aren't going to scratch very much because they are double layered.
I think it was Jean that discovered that if you hold them 90 degrees from what you would expect, they scratch better (so that you're only scratching with the end, instead of the entire flat edge). And as Sue said, if you "choke up" on the needle - putting it further into the holder, or holding it closer to the point, it won't flex as much.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 PM

Sue and Ann'

I did try chocking up on the needle(which I have in a holder) right up at almost the end, and of course that made it almost necessary to hold it vertical, and voila, nice, very fine, scratches.

Thanks for reposting the link, Ann, and for the info on the "mag" designation.

Becky
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Santa Cruz, CA

Hails from United States

Here is what I'm coming up with so far:
There are the ones they say 3RL - 9RL which are Round Liners. They are very tight together and it appears that the 3=3 needles grouped together in a circle, 5 = 5 needles, etc.
Then the 3RS-9RS which are Round Shade - same grouping but they are spread further apart and have a longer needle so seems to give a softer and wider scratch. So far these rounds are my favorite!

Then the flats are same type of thing with the 3 = 3 needles, etc.
What I do not have down yet is how to find the flats with only one row and then the flats that have 2 rows. But both styles exist but the numbering configuration probably adjusts to with a single row or double row - I'm hypothesizing.

They are wonderfully sharp and if you keep blowing the ink and clay out that last for quite a long time - I have not given one up yet for a new one in fact.

Definately turn, twist, change angle and push, pull, sweep and for the flats with double rows use the edges at 90 degrees from what you would naturally do!

These things are so versatile!!!!! I LOVE them! I working on developing and kind of "under-fur" technique. Once I get it down I'll post some stages. I have to take a photo of a couple new tools I've come across and post those as well. I'm intrigued by Ann's newest toy. Scratchy toys are so much fun

Oh ya - If you have a good pair of wire cutters you can snip the tat needle within about 1/4in of the weld then stick that in a Leadholder or Clutch Pencil. 2mm seem to work really well. You have to stick it in far enough for the weld to be the part that catches in the clutch teeth but if you experiment you will find what works. I have 3 lead holders all the same brand and size but all 3 tat needles are in at different lengths due to the variety of needles I guess.

Good luck and have tons of fun - they do stab the board pretty easy if you have a coffee spaz ;P not that I would know from experience - heheheh
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks, Jean.

I have found that it takes not only a good pair of wire cutters, it also takes strong hands, those things are very tough!

Becky
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

Hahaha, coffee spaz......... I too am still working with the same tat needle. But, then again, I do not switch any tool very often.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Santa Cruz, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyheart2002
Hahaha, coffee spaz......... I too am still working with the same tat needle. But, then again, I do not switch any tool very often.

I'm with you!