WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia
Colour shaping tools: soft, firm or extra firm?

Hi all

I'm looking on Blick at the colorshaping tools, but not being able to handle them, I'm wondering if you can tell me what might be the best firmness for OP? They have soft, firm and extra firm. They do have mini sample sets, but to me these are so close to full price they don't warrant the postage to Australia.
thanks
cheers
Donna
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Colour shaping tools: soft, firm or extra firm?

Donna, you might find some alternatives to importing clay shapers to mix and blend your oil pastels.

Below are crayola erasers which can be cut to any shape and used much like a clay shaper. They are a bit on the soft side and can leave some residue that can be wisked away. I'm a hard scrubber and do tend to create residue. I still prefer my paper stumps to all else.

Another of our artists (Perhaps Rainy) recommends pipe insulation. She says it's wonderful for blending skies.
However I've found it to be a bit unwieldie because it tends to knock over things in my studio.

Rainy says I'm doing it wrong and I'm supposed to cut it to various sizes and shapes... However, with my firm hand, it tends to leave bits a pieces about but they are easily brushed away.

A couple of paper stumps are visible in my tray with my oil bars. They are a bit hard to see but I use paper stumps for 90% of my blending. My fingers are the other 10%.

I've also heard of artists using the white vinyl erasers, cut to shapes, for blending oil pastels as well.

With a little experimenting you might find acequate alternatives to the clay shapers.

If you went with the medium hardness color shapers it would allow some flex. I've found the soft ones too soft. The hard one (in my experience) don't have enough give and I don't have the sense of feel that I like.

Last edited by halthepainter : 08-03-2012 at 02:14 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

Hi Hal
Wow, thank you for your detailed response! I already use paper stumps, and, of course, my fingers. It may also be that I'm finding it tough going because as someone mentioned ,the paper I've been using is not so forgiving, so I will try some NOT 300gsm.
cheers
Donna
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

If you do get color shapers, get firm, but the clay shapers are even firmer and I like that. They are pricey though. The first time I looked at them, I practically choked on the price, and you can't seem to buy just one!
An old soft rag is often good for blending also.

Pat
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

I LOVE clay shapers and pretty much stick to them. Extra firm!

Hal, this is the funniest picture ever, you just made my morning.

regards,
Cory
Attached Images

http://corygrahamart.com