WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Weekly Pastel Thread 20th- 26th July

Hi Folks..... here we go for another weekly thread, this thread is so popular.....I'm amazed at all the the quickies that keep coming in.... shows that inspiration is thriving with you all.... last weeks covered so many varying subjects, all of them super , it's so great to see you all having a go.... keep them coming

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off...stop, and post it here...

The idea behind the set times is so that you learn eye and hand co-ordination, be able to paint what you see without being bogged down by detail and therefore improving your skills.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them. It's great fun so do join in.

Here's the link to last weeks thread, some beautiful ones here for you to see and give you an idea about what this thread is alll about:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119262&perpage=15&pagen umber=1
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 03:59 AM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
This is just 5 mins ... my very first attempt to do a cloud from life, and you can see how unsuccessful I was! Couldn't stop the damn thing moving and changing. I hope to do more and get better, but here it is, just for the record.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 04:10 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
well, I don't think it was unsuccessful...but what an inconsiderate cloud to move all over on you!!! Awful good cloud especially in 5 minutes!!! It looks like a running puppy....so there...it's definately a cloud!!!!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Manchester .Uk

Hails from United Kingdom
EJ well done........my attempt was that bad it wasn't worth even posting!!! At least yours looks like clouds.....and i like the colurs you got in there too.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
E-J that's brill.... I tired doing clouds on the move once ..didn't turn out near as good as this, there was this lovely bulging fluffy cloud, but by the time Isorted out my pastels the darn thing had almost evaporated into thin wisps........ this must be one of the most challenging of life excercises to do... you've done well.!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Immortalized
My Heart's in Marquette, My butt's stuck in Vegas!

Hails from United States
Nice job on the clouds, Mo this time you won't have to guilt me into drawing something... I Promise!
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 05:18 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
I've been stuck in that rut again, so am feeling the need to play for a while ... not fret about making 'finished' pictures.

This is 45 mins from a photo. The darks didn't come out dark enough. I plan to revisit this subject in more detail soon!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 05:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Oh, E-J...must fess up on myself...I'm sitting here thinking...now wait a minute...this is familiar...someone else did this...I'm SURE I saw it before...only a more developed painting....OMG...it was your PHOTO I remembered LOL LOL LOL!!! For unfinished it sure is good!!!!!!!!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Okay Greg... relax... I won't bring out the whip.

E-J... wonderful, you've made a start on that lovely photo.... looking really good, please post an update in a seperate thread, it deserves it... go on make it a WIP... I really want to see this one progress.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
Very nice EJ I like what you've done so far. Those mountains are just juicy with texture!
Romans 12:18 "If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone"
My Website
Stock Photos
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
So okay ... Greg is excused for now.... but what about the rest of you slackers Are you all leaving it to E-J... come on posts your quickies... paint anything, anything at all within the time limit...preferably a life sketch, but from a ref photo will do as well, but don't fiddle, get the info down within the given time.... come on, have a go ...it's good and it's fun!... Oooh I'm hard!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
I have a drawing to post, still at work so I'll try to get it uploaded tonite before I go to the church to work on the veggietales mural. (it's almost done, yay!) Speaking of drawings... MO.... where's yours? hmmmmmmmm Hey these guilt trip thingys are kinda fun!
My Website
Stock Photos
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 09:04 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Ouchy Greg!!.. where's mine, The only quickie I did today between guiding the forum, and working on my exhibition , took too long to post here..2.!/2 hrs. It's portrait using three colours only, posted in the portrait project ( portrait forum) which Sophie is running.. will try a 1/2 hr quickie tomorrow... .....Gawd who's cracking the whip now
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 10:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Hi E-J: But aren't those clouds fun to do? All color and not much shape.

I do really like how the vineyard picture is coming along - please do a WIP in a new thread. My grapes, your vineyard need to meet up someday - LOL.

I think Mo, Dyin and me have been in the turps too much these days - things are getting real silly.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
Silly? No, silly is someone who spends 15 minutes drawing a pencil sharpener with sanguine colored conte crayon! Oh, wait I did that!
Attached Images

My Website
Stock Photos