WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2003, 08:19 PM
united kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom
backgrounds

Hi can any of you give me some advice on backgrounds on dogs animals and people,i find it so hard to do .
I cant leave the paper cos i usually get it so dusty and it wont rub away,i have done backgrounds but i am not as happy as i could be ,please help,i am doing commisions and ,want to give a good background.I use pastels.
Also i have not found a real good paper yet,i have tried many but am not entirley happy with them.
I find pastels dont blend well,wether it is soft med or hard.Any sugestions. istill love pastels lol,call me a glutton for punishment.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2003, 11:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Backgrounds are hard for me too...watch what other people do with theirs and some advice I got in a critique with the same question was to do some backgrounds just as backgrounds, funny as that sounds. Don't do things that take away from the subject...I'd be jumping around this forum looking at how other people do theirs...there are some great examples...and I'm sure you'll get better help than I'm able to give too!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2003, 02:26 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
what type of paper and pastels are you currently using?

...... I always struggled to think of backgrounds...... I think thats its something you grew into......... but I think its good idea to surf in the forum and see what others are doing ..... if its for commission works, then you might want to ask the customer...... they might have a special place they want it to hang, and not to clash with their colour scheme....... I wouldnt add something to it just for the sake of it..... only if the picture calls for it..... one thing I read which stuck in my mind, is that a background if there is to be one, has to be considered when taking on the project in the first instance, its not something that can be added later..... as it could possible change all the tones

.......perhaps try vinaigrettes..... subtle shades... hints of patterns, textures....... you dont want anything to detract from the main