WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Using different paperswith Pitt pastel pencils

I have been painting in pastels since January/March and over the months have favoured my Pitt pastel pencils on Murano paper (paper in shades of grey). I have done many pieces, all animal portraits. I've been experimenting with backgrounds as all my animals were just floating around on paper. I have always struggled with backgrounds so am pushing myself with these.

Anyway, I've been working with the Pitt pencils and really feel I have a bond with them now, especially on the Murano paper. I know what I can do with them, the boundaries and how to achieve what I want. So, for a challenge I bought some different paper. I bought some Clairefontaine Pastelmat. My pencils did not seem to like this much, my pastel sticks however loved it, so I think I will save my pastel mat for some landscapes.

Next I bought some Fisher 400 sanded paper. Now, I really like this paper, but my pencils are behaving differently on it. The colour is much more vibrant, I am struggling with texture and the paper is so grippy that I find it very difficult to leave a gentle mark that I can build many layers on. It isn't a subtle paper. I have found the limitations on my colour pallette too. Over the months I have built up a full set of the Pitt's, but I think I may need to dip into some other brands to get the colours I need if I am to continue using the Fisher 400.
I'm not sure if I like what I am producing on the Fisher 400, but I will continue as I like the feel of the paper. I have been on a long journey of discovery with my pastel painting and am enjoying it so much.
What a difference the paper makes to your pencils and your style!

Sorry about the waffle, just had to share my thoughts as family/friends stare blankly at me when I talk 'pastels'!