WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States
Mini Report on Blue Earth Pastels

I've already posted most of this on the thread that had a question about the Blue Earth pastels from Dakota that was started in May, but thought I'd start a new thread since I've actually used them and this might draw more attention than an old thread does.

I bought the green box because I was low on greens. There's good pigmentation to the sticks, nice range of values. As for the degree of softness, well I'd place the greens between Great American and Sennelier (just looked at Dakota's chart and see that's where they place them too!). One nice thing is they stamp the color number into each stick so no need to tear off paper. The numbers won't last long, but this time I made a good color chart of each one so it will be easy for me to determine what that last little speck of pastel is when I reorder it. They are different enough from Ludwigs that I use them differently.

They are similar enough to Sennelier that when the individual sticks become available, I might buy the Blue Earth instead of the Sennelier because they will be less expensive, and they don't have that breakage problem full sticks of Sennelier have. I sure wish Sennelier would offer the half sticks individually because they have colors I love that aren't available in the Blue Earth.

I've tried them on both UArt 400 and Mi Teintes Touch, and they go down very very nicely.

Peggy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Mini Report on Blue Earth Pastels

Thank you for the review Peggy. It's nice to know there's yet another brand available that is worth investigating. I also wish Sennelier would make their half sticks open stock. I'm wondering why they don't, I much prefer the half sticks to their whole ones. These Blue Earth pastels do sound nice, have fun with them!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

Amen to that Chris! The half stick Sennies are so much nicer.

Thanks for the review Peggy! This is great information to know. I am sooooo tempted to buy the full set of Blue Earths, but I won't...I shall not give in to temptation...

Someday though.

"Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Therefore, I believe we should be economical with it." —Mark Twain
http://www.WalcottFineArt.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1616
Amen to that Chris! The half stick Sennies are so much nicer.

Thanks for the review Peggy! This is great information to know. I am sooooo tempted to buy the full set of Blue Earths, but I won't...I shall not give in to temptation...

Someday though.

I never buy a whole set of anything I haven't tried first. I was able to "play" a little bit with the set that Dakota had on site when I went to Desmond O'Hagen's workshop in March, and knew what they felt like going on the paper. I was missing enough greens in the soft range to know I probably wouldn't be disappointed buying the whole set. I look forward to being able to buy individual sticks later this summer. Perhaps that would be a good time for you to try some as well without having to buy all of them. The per stick price will be the same as each stick in the set is.

Peggy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Hi Peggy, I did not know there was a Blue Earth Pastel Brand. Thanks for the great review - I'm going to check them out online.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Immortalized
In my studio--CA

Hails from United States

Sure would like to see a sample of how you used them--maybe a close up?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonni
Sure would like to see a sample of how you used them--maybe a close up?

Sonni I had to set that piece aside awhile as I got a "hurry up" commission; then my cough returned! I'll get back to both the commission and then that painting asap and will post it when it is finished; also a closeup.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 AM
In the mountains near Omak, Washington

Hails from United States

Peggy, OH NO! Not a dust allergy! Seriously! Time to use a mask. :-)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB
Peggy, OH NO! Not a dust allergy! Seriously! Time to use a mask. :-)

No Karen, not a pastel dust allergy, but allergies to dust mites and just about anything green outside. The studio has been dust mite "proofed" as has our bedroom, and I have an air purifier so that all helps a lot.