WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States
How do you organise your brushes?

I was going through all my brushes today, and found that I felt like reorganizing them. Up till now I have had them separated out by the hair of the brush: sables in one cup, white synthetics in another, squirrels in another, etc. but while I was going through and testing them all, I was thinking I'd really rather have rounds in one cup, flats in another, mops in another, etc.

I'm curious what everyone else does, your reasons behind it, and how it's working out for you?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2012, 07:50 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: How do you organise your brushes?

Oh my, Kiran...Now that is a very personal choice!...it is the same as having your colors in the same place so your brush just naturally goes to the right color! That is how you should keep your brushes, in a way that is handy for you! I keep the brushes I use the most often together in a special vase (a pretty little Asian style vase, it is short, with a wide opening and a bit heavy)....when I'm working on a painting, I take out the brushes I will use for that painting and keep them on the paper toweling on which my large water jug sits. They sit there protected and ready to use....and it works for me. Keep your brushes in such a way that works for you. What I would recommend is make sure (if you use other mediums) and you have nice sables, to keep them separate from, for instance, Gouache (which tends to wear at the brushes)....And, by keeping my favorite & used-most brushes together, if I need a larger or smaller brush at a moments notice, I have it right there, no searching!

Margarete
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:24 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

K, a good question which I have not seen here before. Here's how I keep my frequently used brushes--a canvas carrier that easily fits into my backpack for plein air, workshop and travel uses. As one can see, this carrier is well used and contains all of the brushes I may need, regardless of intent or size of painting.

I actually have two of these, each containing a variety of brushes. To the far left one may glimps seldom used brushes in large containers.

Hope this helps!
Sling paint!
Virgil
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I bundle all my flats and rounds together separately and put an elastic band around them.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I use the metal mesh pencil cup holders that you can find at Walmart or Office Max and other places.

One for flats, one for large rounds, one for small rounds, one for mops, and one for misc (long handled hogs bristle brush for scrubbing, riggers, toothbrush). The synthetics, sables (only a few) and the sable/synthetic mixes (a lot) are all in there together.

Then I have one empty pencil cup holder and before each painting I choose which brushes I "think" I will use for that painting and put them in the empty pencil cup holder.

After finishing the painting, I wash the brushes, lay them flat to dry on paper towels and when dry, put them back in the appropriate pencil cup holders.
Time to play......
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I have my watercolour and oil painting brushes separate for obvious reasons but each category is in a drawer and prior to painting I choose the brushes and colours I am going to use.

I also have a brush carrier similar to Virgil's made by my mother where I pack brushes before I go on a workshop, plein air or holidays.

Hi Virgil,

Great stash of paints.

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
Socrates.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States

I normally use just a few brushes: size 4 and 8 Raphael squirrel mop, size 4 and 10 Rhapsody Kolinsky, size 2 blend, and 1/2" Taklon flat. Plus I have a set of 7 scrubbers. I keep them all in a Ball jar on my work table (unless they are wet, during which time I leave them flat or hung with point downward). When I travel to workshops, I carry these same brushes in an inexpensive zippered brush wallet.

All the other brushes I've collected and tried are sitting in Ball jars on a shelf. I don't separate them out by hair type or anything because I can look at them and recall what I purchased.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Like Susan, I organize my brushes by size and type... I have a miscellaneous cup that holds toothbrushes, pencils, craft knives, mongoose and bristle brushes. Another cup holds fine brushes and liners. A cup holds all my medium sized rounds, one for the large rounds and finally, one for all my flats (I don't have many)...

All the stuff I've tried and don't much care for sits in a pretty jar on my desk getting dusty...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

I love to see how everyone has a different way of keeping their studios organized.

I keep my watercolor brushes together in an old glass jar, at my "watercolor area". My oil brushes are in the metal brush holder that came with my easel, which is in the opposite corner of the room.

Virgil: WOW! Look at all those watercolor tubes. That's a great collection of art materials...

"Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Therefore, I believe we should be economical with it." —Mark Twain
http://www.WalcottFineArt.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

I have a brush mat for the brushes I use regulary, the rest I have in a box in a drawer.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Madison, Wis

Hails from United States

I have my most used brushes in a brush holder. This can be folded up to take to class or set-up on a table in my studio. They are arranged by size with the flats to the right.
The brushes, and waterbrush, I take on trips are in a small metal box with the watercolor sticks.
Then there is the assorted jars of ‘no longer used’ brushes’ and drawer of new, unused ones.
I think if I would ever have ALL the brushes in one location I would be shocked. But how do we know if that NEW brush is just what we were looking for?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Some of my brushes are expensive so I do keep them organized. I never store them in water - even while I'm painting. I take them to class and therefore need a method of storing and carrying them. I found that keeping them by type using plastic coated foam core works well. I buy long elastic bands available where hair supplies are sold. They are similar to the kind used for pony-tail only in a roll. I have 4 of these holders.

Jan
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 AM
A WC! Legend
EUROPE

Hails from Austria

If I am going out to paint PA - I have to carry everything on my back
This forces me to limitte everything -

I have 2 of this bruhes in my pocket - the biggest one and the smallest -How would you organice this

If I am at home . Ihave thome more in one glas

[/url]
http://www.miklavcic.co.at/aquarelle...2018/index.htm
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States
Post Re: How do you organise your brushes?

Rounds(sable and mix) in one cup,squirrels in other and flats in another.

Bob
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

I'm loving hearing all these responses, keep 'em coming! I especially love the matching elastic color to the brush handles. That's priceless!