Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Travel Watercolor Kit Question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Garden Maker

I have a very silly little question – does anyone know if half-pan watercolors are uniform in size? That is, are the half-pans sold by Winsor Newton the same size as the ones sold by Daniel Smith?

The reason I ask is I have a Winsor Newton Compact set which is so handy for dragging around the countryside. I’d like to use some different colors I already have in tubes but the only empty half-pans I can find are sold for the Daniel Smith travel set. So if I buy the empty pans for DS, will they fit in the WN box?

Told you this was silly! :lol: Thanks for any help!

Sharie

[FONT=Arial]Sharie

[FONT=Arial]Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

escoveitch

I have winsor and newton and talens half pans and I have found that the talens are slightly larger than the winsor and N because the former have thicker walls. The two sit together alright in my metal watercolour box, but I’m not so sure how whether the slight difference in size might affect the type of box you are talking about because I don’t have a box like that, but bear in mind that slight differences may exist between brands although the volume of paint they hold might be similar. Hopefully someone can compare the Daniel Smith pans for you.

amdewitt

They will not fit. DS ones are slightly wider.

Angie
                [FONT=Times New Roman]“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” ~Leo Buscaglia

Blog: http://angiesarthouse.blogspot.com

Dragoon

I think they are all very similar in volume, but width and length do differ.

Winsor Newton wants you to buy *their half pans, after all.

You have two options:
                    Pry the paint cubes out of the WN pans, and then add your own colors so that you can keep on using your WN box,
                    or,
                    buy any tin travel palette that has the prong like pan holders and use that box instead. Those prongs will hold other sizes, even if you have to give the metal a squeeze to make it grip a shorter pan. Or you can just glue magnet tape on the bottoms of the pans and use them in a metal tin, palette, or cigarette case. You’ll get more in that way, than using a prong holder.

Cheers,
                    D.

Garden Maker

Thanks, all, for the info. I guess I’ll find an alternate box for pans I make myself. I ordered the DS empty pans last night. I really like the quinicridone series of watercolors but hate carrying the tubes around – hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks again!

[FONT=Arial]Sharie

[FONT=Arial]Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Studio-1-F

Sharie—- Did you see this thread? Answers may be there. —> https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160322

Jan

Garden Maker

Jan, thanks – I completely missed that thread. It didn’t even occur to me to check the watercolor sites, I was so focused on the journal aspect! :) I hadn’t heard of Kremer – will check them out.

[FONT=Arial]Sharie

poochemio

An alternative palette is to stick your half pans in an altoids or similar tin using handi tack. It’s best to spray the interior of the tin with white enamel, it provides a better mixing surface and prevents the tin from rusting. Works great and is very portable, fits in a pocket.

Margo

Garden Maker

Thanks, Margo. Cathy Johnson has a demo of alternate paint boxes over on her artists’s journal blog – neat stuff! I love her new book, too.

[FONT=Arial]Sharie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.