WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Hails from United States
peanut oil for painting medium? how about using acrylic paint as primer?

i have an old jar of PB, the oil has separated from the peanut butter. could i use this as a painting medium? what are its properties?

==========

i have 12 small tubes of acrylic paint gifted to me, decided acrylics are not for me, i also have some store bought canvases.

i was thinking instead of buying acrylic gesso i would thin down the acrylic paint with some water and use it to prime another layer or 2 (or more) onto the store bought canvases cause i read storebought canvases are lacking in primer.

is using acrylic paint this way ok? any long term issues with painting oil on acrylic paint?

Last edited by toph : 06-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Re: peanut oil for painting medium?

Sounds like a recipe for trouble. Most people wouldn't even use food-grade walnut oil, as it usually contains some extra ingredients for preservation/taste. Walnut oil is otherwise safe, but peanut oil? Never heard of it in paints. You can probably use it to rinse your brushes at the end of the day, first in the peanut oil, and then soapy water.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Stir it back up and put it on crackers or PPJ sandwich or celery or bananas or make cookies or anything but your paintings.
Some properties that make it good for consumption and bad for oil painting:
It contains natural vitamin E which is an antioxidant that retards drying.
It is not a drying oil.
High in Oleic acid and saturated fat.

Regarding the acrylic paint, yes that is what I would do is mix it in gesso for priming, use it for underpainting, use it for practice, give it away if not wanted. Many paint over acrylic underpaintings with no problem, some have problems with anything.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 06-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
Stir it back up and put it on crackers or PPJ sandwich or celery or bananas or make cookies or anything but your paintings.
Some properties that make it good for consumption and bad for oil painting:
It contains natural vitamin E which is an antioxidant that retards drying.
It is not a drying oil.
High in Oleic acid and saturated fat.

Regarding the acrylic paint, yes that is what I would do is mix it in gesso for priming, use for underpainting, use it for practice. Many paint over acrylic underpaintings with no problem, some have problems with anything.

would it be fine if i dont use gesso, just the acrylic paint+water?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States
Re: peanut oil for painting medium? how about using acrylic paint as primer?

I have done it on occasion and many others have done it very successfully for many years. Some think or have reported that it doesn't stick well. Experience and testing shows that it really does stick quite fast and hard. If I were doing acrylic underpaintings, I would be sure and go over the underpainting lightly with fine sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad. But then I do that for oil underpaintings also. Oil paint won't bind chemically with the acrylic just like it will not with gesso, rather it will be a physical or mechanical bond and the sanding will give it extra "tooth".
Here is more information on this than you will ever need from the experts at Golden. Bottom line is that their opinion is also that it is ok.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 06-08-2012 at 11:14 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

NO to peanut oil for painting. I just want that to be perfectly clear.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

Please do not use peanut oil! As far as I know it is not a true drying oil which means it will turn gummy and then basically stay that way forever. Good paint-quality drying oils include linseed, safflower, and walnut. Use one of those.

You really should use gesso to prime. It is designed to be slightly absorbent which will grip the oil paint and help it adhere. Straight acrylic is not designed to do that since it is considered a full medium in and of itself. I've heard that oils done over true acrylic paints can end up peeling off later.

Hope this helps!

"Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Therefore, I believe we should be economical with it." —Mark Twain
http://www.WalcottFineArt.com