WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#121   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Re: The Spotlight - June 2012 - Edges-Part II

Oh Clea, I just love your rendition of the apples . When the pic opened up on my itouch the close up just zoomed in at me! Nice.

Ruthie, well, I'm a fan. Nice portrait

Can't wait to see the kittens!!

Shower

Last edited by Shower : 06-21-2012 at 07:27 PM.
  #122   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Clea, good job on the apples. Beautiful colours and good soft edges as well.

Ruthie, you are on a roll. Good work on the landscape and the colours in the reflections really sparkle too. The trees, paticulary the feature middle tree, look great. You will have to sell all those Norfolk paintings to afford those new Roche pastels!

C & c's always welcome
  #123   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Clea, Thanks for joining us! This is a really nice painting! Lots of edge variety, a nice crop, and wonderful color harmony!

Ruth, I really like this landscape! I did an acrylic painting from this same ref a couple years ago...and I like yours much better! That distance shore not only has a great sense of sunlight shining on it, but enough edges to suggest trees, but soft enough to stay in the distance. Nicely done!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #124   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks for your nice comments, Ruthie, Shower, Jen and Don!

Ruthie, you are so versatile and edges are really your topic! All the pictures are so well done. My favourites are the two apple pictures. Pity you can't get them framed for the exhibition.
  #125   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM

Hails from Australia

After seeing all of your stunning artworks I'm sneaking in here in the middle of the night (Australia time) to take a great big breath and humbly add my first attempt at joining in a Spotlight activity thread. Here goes...

Can I just say *thank you* so much Don for such an interesting and thought provoking topic. And to everyone, I have loved looking at your paintings and reading what wonderful words people have to say. I really have learnt so much through this exercise - I shall never think of edges the same way again!

I welcome your feedback and advice. As a newbie, I find it a wonderful opportunity to learn from all of you. Night night, I'd better go to bed now!
  #126   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Midwest

Hails from United States

Don, thanks for the great advice! It's nuggets like that (working with hard pastels a bit further into the painting process for mixing and broken color...) that I need! OK - so, here are my current WIP for this month's challenge. I'll include a few of the steps, so perhaps y'all can see where I go wrong, over-blend, and lose my values as well as crisp and broken color.

landscape 1

landscape 2 WIP

landscape 3 wip
  #127   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Midwest

Hails from United States

whoops...got these mixed up. top to bottowm is still life 3, then 4, then 2.

landscape 4 wip

still life 1
  #128   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Midwest

Hails from United States

More to go...please give each and every painting your c and c, and help me out with technique. I think part of my problem is that I don't know the qualities of soft pastel - color over color, etc. Also, I know I should be doing value studies prior to painting...trying to skip that step has caused difficulties.

wip - rainy day. blocking in done.

the following painting was done by following Bill Creevy's the Pastel Book's demo of 5 apples. I limited it to 3...and love, love , love the outcome! this one took me only about an hour or two. I liked how color upon color was added upon for the table and edge- he used colors I originally thought were too garish in the under painting. Then, the apples were built up from a base of a roundish dark grayed green. I layered both hard, then soft pastels. OK - so, how do I use what I've learned here into my own renditions from scenes and photos! Any insight? thanks, Adele

#129   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I've been sick all week - with who knows what, sniffles and sore throat and such. I'm home today, but still just as sick (toughed it out at work the rest of the week), so I thought I should give one of the spotlights a try. The flowers spoke out to me the most with their happy colours, so flowers it was!

First I started and somewhat blocked with PanPastels after an outline in NuPastels:

Adding details...with my mount visions, of course

And all done:

..and because I love looking up close, a detail:

...now back to chicken noodle soup and a nap...

c+c welcome
  #130   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Wow, lot's of nice paintings to comment on!

Kate, Thank you so much for joining us here in the Spotlight! Your portrait is very nicely done! I really like the soft edges of the far side of her face - it gives her face roundness and depth, don't you think! Good edge-work on the hair and other places, too!

Artcat, These are very nice! First let me ask what type of paper these are on - that has a LOT to do with how the pastels will layer (or not)! I know you are looking for some advice on technique, but frankly, that is very difficult to do with pastels. Pastels can be applied in so many ways and different order that probably every artist here does it differently. That said, keep in mind that these are only my opinions.

Your landscape looks good, but I'll agree that it seems over-blended, especially in the last stage (if I'm reading my stages correctly)! Personally, while I know many artist start with a rough drawing of the darks (as it seems you have) I would consider abandoning this stage and try to block-in more solid areas of color. The somewhat dark details will disappear with the next step, in my experience. Don't forget, pastels are opaque!

Of course, it depends on the paper, too. In your apples painting it looks like you are using Canson. Unless you like the little bumps of texture, I would consider using the other "smoother side". Again, just my personal opinion, but in the first stage on Canson I would blend a lot in stage 1 to cover the bumps and have no paper showing. However, the hard part is covering the paper with such a thin coat of pastel that you can still layer on it.

Your finish on the apples is very nice - a very successful work!

The rainy day people painting looks essentially done - and well done - to me! Perhaps a few minor touches to add, but I can't see that much more needs to be done. Absolutely lovely softening edges as we fade into the distance!

Your Creevy copy does look good! If you figure out a way to translate what you can do with a copy into your original works, let me know! I can copy a Pino or Monet and it looks much better than anything I paint that is not a copy. But you might try the same sort of sequence on another version of the apples and jars and see what happens. Lot's of loose diagonal strokes on your Creevy that should work on the apples painting. And if you block in and blend the first layer, then you can leave you strokes looser on top, since the paper is already covered.

Angie, Very nice job on the tulip! And here is something I didn't really talk about but you did splendidly. Your edges where the yellow and red interior colors meet is nice and soft, while the edges of the petal are harder. So the edges that define the form are given more importance than the "color edges" that don't define form. I think that is how it should be!

Don

Last edited by DAK723 : 06-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.
  #131   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Midwest

Hails from United States

Thanks so much, Don! Great advice - especially about the paper (yes, it's Canson Mi T.), and ditching the dark undersketch of the landscape and trying blocks of color. Do you recommend just blocking in the local color, or for interest's sake, do initial block-ins in wild colors, but at the correct values (similar to Creery's table top and edge) and then applying broken color more in the local range?

I also have some pumice, and may just make a few fine-sanded papers to start anew! I really appreciate your time and advice from your experience.
Also, I'll hopefully have more time to pursue all of the links you suggested last month...the demos, step-by-step instruction on wc.

Thanks again...I was just about to toss all of the pastels away! (well, not really!)
I'll get back to my easel now - Adele
  #132   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thank you Don!!

I did have a long written out post about everyone's paintings, and then it closed on me - bah!!

So I will say this: everyone did amazing jobs so far, and I can't wait to see the next pieces that will be popping up. I do very much enjoy seeing everyone's different takes on the spotlight pictures - just goes to show that what one artist sees in one way, another will see completely differently!

...on another note, my cold-sniffles-whatever has made me so weak, that I have in fact caved and purchased a set of pastel pencils, a 30 set of remembrants and an 18 set of unisons, along with some colourfix and uart paper (i've currently just been using mi-teintes, and prepared boards with golden pastel ground). It will be a great order when it comes in!
  #133   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcat369
Do you recommend just blocking in the local color, or for interest's sake, do initial block-ins in wild colors, but at the correct values (similar to Creery's table top and edge) and then applying broken color more in the local range?

In all honesty, I am not very adventurous, so my block-ins are almost always the local color. On A paper like Canson - which comes in many colors - you could try different strategies by just choosing different colored papers.

I can't remember if you were with us in February for our Block-in Spotlight, but a few different strategies are discussed, including using a complementary color block-in. Here's a link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993322

After my initial demos, there are links to a number of other block-in demonstrations by far better artists than me, including monochrome and warm/cool block-ins.

Don

#134   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_v
...on another note, my cold-sniffles-whatever has made me so weak, that I have in fact caved and purchased a set of pastel pencils, a 30 set of remembrants and an 18 set of unisons, along with some colourfix and uart paper (i've currently just been using mi-teintes, and prepared boards with golden pastel ground). It will be a great order when it comes in!

Angie, get well soon before you spend even more!!

And have fun with all the new supplies!

Don

#135   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario

Hails from Canada

hehehe, thanks Don! It's what I get for sitting at home with no desire to do anything very productive....except browse the internet and be tempted by beautiful pastel colours