WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast
Crivitz, WI, USA

Hails from United States
New Oil Painting Paper

Hello everyone,

I have seen in a recent art supply catalog a new product by Arches--an Oil Painting Paper....that needs no gesso or stretching. It's coated with something that prevents the oils from damaging the paper. The best thing about it is that you can take several sheets in the field, attach them to a board and paint on them. I saw a video on Jerry's and they said it was easy to frame.

My questions are 1) has anyone used this paper...and what did you think of it? and 2) easy to frame--what does that mean? Without glass? I would think since it's a paper product that MUST be used. would you then mat the painting? I'm stumped as to how to frame such an item.

Thanks in advance!

Nancy

My Blog--
http://nancypatterson.blogspot.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
DECiNERGY http://www.decinergy.at | Burgenland, AUSTRIA

Hails from Austria
Re: New Oil Painting Paper

HELLO, see this from Dham - 05-27-2012, 10:37 PM

arches*Oil*-*WetCanvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1131992
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast
Crivitz, WI, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks gfgfgfgfgf! That helps!!

My Blog--
http://nancypatterson.blogspot.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Nancy,

I recently ordered some from Blick. Even though I haven't had a chance to really use it yet, I did play around with some test swatches. The oil goes down perfectly on the paper and it doesn't soak in, so the product really seems to live up to its claim.

It looks and feels exactly like regular 140lb cold press watercolor paper. The only way to tell the difference is by the watermark which says "Arches Huile" on the oil paper. I got some interesting effects thinning down the oil color until it looked like a watercolor wash...and because of the paper it really did!

Hope this helps!

Jason
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Lord of the Arts

this looks really nice- arches is my favourite paper with water colors- i have great hopes for this....how much is a sheet of it?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate252
this looks really nice- arches is my favourite paper with water colors- i have great hopes for this....how much is a sheet of it?

Hi Kate,

You can buy individual sheets at Blick for $6.99, but they are out of stock until 6/13. Jerry's Artarama has it in 10 packs for $69.99. It comes in 22 x 30 sheets and also rolls as well.

Jason
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

How does that compare to say stretched canvas? Standard size canvas would be 11x 14, so four of that size from one sheet for $7. How much is 4 same size canvases?
Blick Academic 5/8" Profile Cotton Canvas
economical option for students Sold in packs of two, $5.14
http://www.dickblick.com/products/bl...cotton-canvas/
The stretched canvas doesn't have the cost of mat and glass, and can be hung without a frame. For practice pieces, it may be worthwhile (for me) to purchase a sheet or two for practice, but why use it over canson canva-paper, or Fredrix canvas paper for practice?
Ella
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

Just curious: What would be the advantage of using paper over canvas. board or canvas paper? As far as I can see, it isn't cheaper so I'd be interested in hearing the merits of using it?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from European Union

Aires, I'm thinking its main advantage is practicality. You attach it to something solid and you're good to go within a couple of minutes. And if you mess it up beyond recovery, you tear it down and start over (the part I love, haha).
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

I think anything that sets me up for extra framing expense is not very appealing. The fewer steps and time spent between studio and displayable art, the better. With a canvas or cradled board, you can sometimes show the work frameless. Even framed you don't need glass and matting. When I worked with watercolor and pastel, the framing was such a difficulty that I am relieved to work in media that don't need the full treatment.

Even though this paper is easier at the beginning there's more work later on A while it may be handy if you want to sketch for practice in oil, I'd choose something heavier even for such light work. Flexibility can be a disadvantage. For instance I like to use wax medium which is better for a stiff surface; some painting styles may work well with a bendable paper but for some it's a disadvantage.

If you think about it all that paper really does is let you skip the gesso. You already could have gessoed any heavy paper and used it for oil paint it seems to me. If you dislike a canvas texture then it seems preferable to a "canvas" paper though.

When looking for something practical and very cheap this sort of thing gets my attention: http://www.dickblick.com/products/gu...in-air-panels/ I'm thinking about getting a pack of 6x8 for little dailies.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Hi quality, properly prepared rag paper is one of the most archival oil painting supports. When compared with the price of high grade archival supports like great linen, the price of the Arches Oil Paper is actually less than many of the alternatives. Oil paintings on paper that are hundreds of years old have survived better than many on canvas and other supports. When mounted to a firm archival support, the painting can be varnished and framed without glass, just like any other oil painting.

Jamie
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

That makes sense.

I prefer boards anyway. If I used paper I would mount it on a board... So why add the paper surface instead of painting right on a board?

And the answer to that is that if the paper is clearly superior when you are asking questions about the longevity of boards, then it's worth using. And now you have caught my interest:

My challenge right now is that I want to paint 30" x 40" and would prefer not to use canvas, and want a rigid surface. I have resigned myself to canvas because I saw nothing else that met my needs. Is the unexpected alternative something involving paper and board in combination? How? A museum mounting board with something else to stiffen further? What about using a 100% rag board and prepping that? If it's heavy enough you could just put foam core behind it and it wouldn't bend in a frame. What exactly is "properly prepared" ?

Last edited by Avena Cash : 06-05-2012 at 10:44 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avena Cash
That makes sense.

I prefer boards anyway. If I used paper I would mount it on a board... So why add the paper surface instead of painting right on a board?

And the answer to that is that if the paper is clearly superior when you are asking questions about the longevity of boards, then it's worth using. And now you have caught my interest:

My challenge right now is that I want to paint 30" x 40" and would prefer not to use canvas, and want a rigid surface. I have resigned myself to canvas because I saw nothing else that met my needs. Is the unexpected alternative something involving paper and board in combination? How? A museum mounting board with something else to stiffen further? What about using a 100% rag board and prepping that? If it's heavy enough you could just put foam core behind it and it wouldn't bend in a frame. What exactly is "properly prepared" ?

Some of us just love the feel of painting on paper. Combined with the archival integrity, it's a win-win! You'd have to mount it, not just put something behind it. And foamcore would not be a good choice, as it is not as archival as the paper, and you'd be essentially degrading the support by mounting to something inferior that won't last as long as the paper. BTW, they make it in rolls too, so painting big on this stuff wouldn't be a problem.

Jamie
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avena Cash
...With a canvas or cradled board, you can sometimes show the work frameless. Even framed you don't need glass and matting...

The flexiblilty of a stretched canvas is actually a negative thing for a cured oil painting. The main benefit is that fabric is very easy to remove from a frame.

You can mount the paper to any kind of support, including a canvas frame, with or without the canvas, so a "gallery wrapped" display is still an option. Many old oil paintings on paper are laid on canvas for conservation purposes, but also the cradled support is lighter in weight than a full panel. The support could be acid-free foamcore or plastic instead of a wood panel, even metal; athough, that would be expensive. If you use matboard I'd recommend framing it in that case. Matboard can also buckle with changes in relative humidity, so that too would need mounting to a firmer support. Wet paper can actually be molded to a canvas frame and tacked to the back like fabric. This is how I often stretch my papers instead of using tape.

Paper made of linen and or cotton pulp ("100% rag") is available at a lower price point than the same size of fabric. If you use other paper stock, you have to prepare the surface with layers of external sizing, but you have to do the same with raw fabric also. No priming is required.

Quote:
So why add the paper surface instead of painting right on a board?

Wood grain can crack or split. If you're using a composite hardboard or MDF you avoid that problem, but you're adding extra weight, especially at large sizes.

Quote:
What exactly is "properly prepared" ?

This is the external sizing I mentioned. It can be the same material used for sizing raw fabric, such as rabbit skin glue or an acrylic dispersion medium designed for that purpose, like Golden GAC 100 or Gamblin's PVA sizing. The paper would have to be stretched before using these, like you would do for watercolors, and the water has to be given several days time to completely evaporate. I personally prefer shellac, since no water is needed. I use 2 coats of clear dewaxed flakes that I dissolve myself, and the surface is ready to paint in about an hour.

Paper is not perfect, but no support is. It can, howver, be used in combination with other supports to take advantage of the combined features.
My Blog

Last edited by dbclemons : 06-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Some of us just love the feel of painting on paper. Combined with the archival integrity, it's a win-win! You'd have to mount it, not just put something behind it. And foamcore would not be a good choice, as it is not as archival as the paper, and you'd be essentially degrading the support by mounting to something inferior that won't last as long as the paper. BTW, they make it in rolls too, so painting big on this stuff wouldn't be a problem.

Jamie

I didn't mean mount paper on foam core. I meant using primed "museum mounting board" which is quite thick and 100% rag as the painting surface. They come in 32x40. That board would still be rather flexible at that size but far less so than watercolor papers. It's made for mounting paper works on, and you could even mount this oil paper on it, but since it is itself 100% archival then if prepared it could work for a painting surface without a paper layer.

If that was painted on at a large size it would have the flexibility of matte board. A bit of a challenge, but it seems foam core would be sufficient to stabilize it for a frame--without attaching it to foam core.