WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2000, 02:41 PM
Orlando, FL, USA

Hails from United States
Post sales tax when selling art in "other" states

I am curious how it works with sales tax when you are selling your artwork at shows or conventions out of your home state.

I live in FL and I have my resale# for this state. But what happens if I want to go to another state for a show and sell my work?

I am assuming I would have to apply to sell in that state and send them the sales taxes that i made while i was there?

any help would be appreciated!
thanks!
~Claudine

------------------
http://www.collageartist.com - mixed media collage paintings
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2000, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Branford, FL USA

Hails from United States
Yes, each state has their own requirements. Check with the show you want to do, or with the respective state office of Revenue or Taxation. In some states, if you're just doing one or two shows, you can submit with a temporary form they supply to the show. Others you can get an out-of-state number or a seasonal number. Some you'll need a permanent number. It just depends on how they're set up. Filing what you collected is also unique to each state. Best to find these things out before the show date.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2000, 12:52 PM
Orlando, FL, USA

Hails from United States
TPS

thanks for the info. that is what I thought. i have contacted the people who are running the convention and am waiting to hear back from them.

Do you know if there is a web site where I could find out the relvant info. for each state?

thanks so much!
~Claudine

------------------
http://www.collageartist.com - mixed media collage paintings

[This message has been edited by claudine (edited August 28, 2000).]
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2000, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Branford, FL USA

Hails from United States
I would do a search at google.com for state sales tax and like key words. You could also type in for the states you need the following: www.state.wv.us ,would be West Virginia, then look for their department of revenue or taxation. Substitute initials of the state you need to know about.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2000, 03:38 PM
Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Smile

this has raised a question for me. Since I work full time I only paint in my spare time and occassoinally do some commissions. Am I supposed to have a sales tax number? Or can I just turn in my earnings during tax time? I know this probably sounds stupid, but my school never taught the business side to art. And.....Unfortunately, I am not business minded.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2000, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
Crivitz, WI, USA

Hails from United States
Ahhh...now you guys will know what I do for money!! I am a tax accountant by trade...artist for love. Anyway, I am experienced in sales tax. There is a site that is very good... it is www.aicpa.org In it, you will find a place called CPA links, which will link you to all the state laws, forms, regulations that you could ever hope to know.

My advice would be this...when you are going out of state to exhibit and sell, check with the organizers of the show. They will be the fastest way of letting you know if you have to get a seller's permit for that particular state...or also if you need to file a sales tax return. Also, the site that I mentioned above, has print out forms for most states that you can use to print out those pesty little sales/use tax forms.

Internet selling is completely different. If you sell on the internet---individually and not through an organization...like artistnation...sales tax is handled (currently) like a catalog company. If you do not have "physical pressence" in the state but only advertise via common carrier (mail, internet) you usually do not have to pay sales tax in that state. But make sure to check your own laws and regulations before assuming anything about taxes!!! These laws change very fast...and congress has been working day and night for the past 5 years to determine, if any, taxation for the internet.

To the taxation officials--ignorance is not bliss. Just because you do not know of a law or tax rule in a state, does not exempt you from paying interest and penalties for not filing!!!

Now that I scared the crap right out of everyone....please...just use common sense. Try and ask questions of the officials handling the shows....consult the site I mentioned above. If there is still ambiguity in the answer, don't be afraid to call the sales/use tax division in the individual state department of revenue. They usually have their numbers listed on their websites.

Hope I didn't give anyone any gray hairs....

Nancy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2000, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast
Crivitz, WI, USA

Hails from United States
reply to Aggie

For the Federal government, you are to report any type of income received. Since what you are saying is a few commissions here and there, you are mainly doing art as a hobby, which follows its own rules.

Contact the IRS on getting a publication indicating the rules on claiming hobby income. Yes, you are supposed to claim your income on your tax return....and yes, you should have a sales tax number if you are selling merchandise.

However, don't forget that, as a hobby, you can deduct expenses also. The deductions though, have another set of rules that are too large to mention here.

Hope this helps!! Go to the site that I mentioned before... www.aicpa.org and go to the Federal Government tax site. There you should be able to either order or view the hobby rules. Again, check out your particular state rules for the guidelines on selling in your state. I am from Wisconsin and not familiar with OK rules.

Nancy