WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States
Question How to ship a painting

I have to ship a 16x20 painting to Texas from Georgia. What is the best most cost effective method for packaging it? Thanks for any ideas!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Hails from United States
Shipping oil paintings is easier if the painting is framed as the frame acts as a stabilizer and protection.

I put a thick piece (1/2 inch) of foamcore or 1/8th masonite over the top and back so that it overlaps the whole thing by at least 1/4 inch on all sides. Tape these together securely so the painting is sandwiched between them. The frame provides a space between the top cover and the painting surface so that nothing touches the surface - this is ideal.

Then wrap the whole thing in bubblewrap (big bubbles) and tape it - again so everything is covered by two layers or more. Then put it into a box and pack paper around it so that it does not move inside the box.

This method is good for all but the most viscious mail handling.

For there are many who say that they have mastered the profession without having served under masters. Do not believe it, for I give you the example of this book: even if you study it by day and by night, if you do not see some practice under some master you will never amount to anything, nor will you ever be able to hold your head up in the company of masters.
Cennino D'Andrea Cennini - "Il Libro dell' Arte."
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2003, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States
Thanks Michael! That sounds really good.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2003, 04:47 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Be sure you have a receipt for the full value of the painting from your customer, insure it for its full value, and have the shipper peek inside the box before you seal it up so that you have a witness that you packed it adequately. Don't use UPS if you can avoid it, and keep your fingers crossed! If you do not have a receipt from your customer, they will only pay the cost of your materials, and not your time nor artistic talent.

Jamie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by JamieWG
If you do not have a receipt from your customer, they will only pay the cost of your materials, and not your time nor artistic talent.
Oooh, Jamie. Sounds like experience in that! Hope it wasn't one of your favorites.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2003, 05:29 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Kathy, they stole my painting right out of the box!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 07:56 AM
Mystic, CT

Hails from United States
I can't help but comment on UPS. They used to be a great carrier, but for whatever reason, the quality of their services has really suffered. I have received packages from them with footprints on them, etc., so I would indeed insure anything sent with them for full value.

The only other thing I would add for shipping is the addition of cardboard corners, and of course, overlapping the packing material so they go beyond the edges. That way, the package crushers just crush packing material and not the art.

You might also want to check out Fed Ex, I think their prices have become more realistic in the past couple of years, and they do have a good record.

Good luck shipping!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States
Jamie I am so sorry for your loss with UPS! How awful! I will definitely not use them. As a matter of fact they damaged a stereo that was shipped to me and I never did receive the value of it as my Aunt lost the papers! I would never ship through them. Thanks for telling me. And thanks Deb, I will check out FedEx and USPS both.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 10:16 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Steph, thanks for your condolences! There were six pieces in the box---all completely destroyed. They all had corners on them, were wrapped in hard foam and bubble wrap, etc. Three were missing when it was returned to me. (It never even reached its destination before being destroyed and sent back.) On appeal, they agreed to pay the full value of the insurance, but I did not insure it for enough. Even the three remaining, destroyed pieces were appraised for more than the insurance value, but of course I couldn't get appraisals after the fact for the pieces that were mysteriously missing.

Jamie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States
That is just Dreadful!!!! How long ago did this happen? I just can't believe that they did that. What an artist's nightmare! I would be fit to kill! Good Grief!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 10:25 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Painter Snoopy
That is just Dreadful!!!! How long ago did this happen?

It happened about two months ago. The appeal process took about a month. I should be getting a check any day now.

Jamie
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast
Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Hails from United States
The suggestion of FedEx is a good one. If you think about it, the additional cost of overnighting the painting to the customer is worth every penny of the drastically reduced time that someone else will be handling your painting. When shipping takes days, sometimes your package can go through a lot of hands. FedEx costs more, but minimizes exposure time.

For there are many who say that they have mastered the profession without having served under masters. Do not believe it, for I give you the example of this book: even if you study it by day and by night, if you do not see some practice under some master you will never amount to anything, nor will you ever be able to hold your head up in the company of masters.
Cennino D'Andrea Cennini - "Il Libro dell' Arte."
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Lake Jackson, Texas

Hails from United States
I shipped a 36 X 48 framed painting across the country by Fed Ex ground. It took a week but was only $23. You can also give instructions to place on top of piles.

The local UPS people recommended the Fed Ex.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by HSargent
I shipped a 36 X 48 framed painting across the country by Fed Ex ground. It took a week but was only $23. You can also give instructions to place on top of piles.

The local UPS people recommended the Fed Ex.

That sounds great! This is just a 16x20 so I will definitely go that route. Thanks.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Erie, PA

Hails from United States
Re: How to ship a painting

I know this is a TAD late but I'm sure people are still reading this thread for advice

I documented how I ship my paintings (complete with photos ), and it has turned out really well... I haven't had any damaged paintings yet!