WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2012, 04:37 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
arches Oil

Like to work on paper?
Check this out.
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...arches-oil.htm

Click on the video. derek
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Re: arches Oil

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

No preparation needed - that's right up my alley! Thanks for the info!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
DECiNERGY http://www.decinergy.at | Burgenland, AUSTRIA

Hails from Austria

YES that are fantastic ones - but so new, revolutionary, unique isn't it ... !!!?!!!

I paint on such things (sometimes) since ~2 years ... ;-) - with oil & acrylic.
Also is it superB for very impasto & strong brushwork - also bristles !!!
And, yes, no preparation is needed - nevertheless i make my 'own' first-dry-layer for painting on that ...

AND IT IS VERY GOOD FOR ARCHIVAL OR 'MUSEUMSQUALITY' !!!?!!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Just checked- it is just becoming available in australia.
How would it be framed? Does it need to be behind glass?

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Louisville

Hails from United States

Nice stuff, thanks for the link Derek. @Bethany, I would think it would be like any other painting on paper; the video shows him rolling up the painting he did on the demo without issue. So depending on what you paint with and how you paint it I would think you could frame this without glass. I have works on paper that I did over twenty years ago that are not under glass and holding up just fine. Just plain ol heavy stock paper primed with gesso and oil paint on top.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyt
Just checked- it is just becoming available in australia.
How would it be framed? Does it need to be behind glass?

It wouldn't HAVE to be framed under glass or plexiglass glazing but some shows and galleries require anything on paper to be so. It's a prejudice that's hard to break. It would need to be mounted to a firm support of some sort just to keep it stiff since 140# paper isn't very sturdy.

The video had me intrigued until he started rolling it up. Don't roll paint that tightly and certainly not into itself.

Untreated Aches watercolor paper of the same type appears to sell for about $2/sheet less. Since it's extremely easy and cheap to size the paper yourself I don't know how reasonable that price difference is, but it might be worth checking it out anyway.
My Blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I'm going to try some and when I do, will probably mount it with Golden Gel medium on gator board or hardboard (MDF is a possibility also). I coat the paper on one side and on the board, lay a large flat piece of smooth plywood over it, then barbell plates (around 50 pounds). Let it dry overnight and it makes a nice art-board. The Gel is acid free, and can be brushed or rolled on. Acid free PVA can be used also, but I find that it drys very fast.
Always coat both sides of MDF or hardboard with a regular primer; let dry, before starting the mounting process

A cheaper way as David says, is to use a primer or size on untreated good watercolor paper. My old painting Prof. at NYU swore by two coats of white pigmented shellac (BINS), and a coat of gesso after it drys.

I just love new toys.

Derek

Last edited by Dcam : 05-28-2012 at 11:52 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from European Union

The texture looks sexy. Would love to try this. I imagine you could do some cool dry brushing with this paper.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

During my time at University I printed cyanotype photo prints on Arches Aquarelle watercolour paper. It was one of the only papers on the market that was dense enough to withstand being coated with chemicals then dunked in water/citric acid/hydrogen peroxide and rinsed aggressively and that had the correct PH to keep the chemicals happy and avoid discolouring.

It's probably one of the best, most reliable and professional materials I've ever worked with for anything so I'd heartily recommend Arches products to anyone. I have some Reeves oil painting paper and it's like a sheet of plastic. Good for colour studies/tests, but I wouldn't paint something decent on it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharhinus
During my time at University I printed cyanotype photo prints on Arches Aquarelle watercolour paper. It was one of the only papers on the market that was dense enough to withstand being coated with chemicals then dunked in water/citric acid/hydrogen peroxide and rinsed aggressively and that had the correct PH to keep the chemicals happy and avoid discolouring.

It's probably one of the best, most reliable and professional materials I've ever worked with for anything so I'd heartily recommend Arches products to anyone. I have some Reeves oil painting paper and it's like a sheet of plastic. Good for colour studies/tests, but I wouldn't paint something decent on it.

It may be even LESS mobile than cotton canvas - I would be happy to paint on this.. Then again, I enjoy painting on papers. There are Degas paintings (and one at my local Museum) painted on cardboard, torn from a box no less.. They seem to be doing ok! the only issue I have with this paper is it is awfully expensive for... paper!

(I know - it's Arches blah blah blah)

-Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram