WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Weekly Pastels 10th-16th June

Hi everyone ~ As you all know Dawn is taking a much deserved break ~ rather than let this thread elapse I've volunteered to keep it open during the summer months.

I appreciate that for most of you this is a very busy time and you may not want to participate ~ that's fine, don't feel you have to, it's entirely your choice~ I'd rather see this thread kept open than closed , as I feel that it encourages you to do those daily sketches whenever you can ~ letting it lapse even for a few months, could make some of you lapse too ~ We don't want that to happen.

So just to remind you what this thread is all about ~~~~~

It was originally started by our dear Sunny ~ she wanted to encourage us to paint quick studies from life when at all possible ~ painting from photo's wasn't exactly frowned upon, but she encouraged the life sketches/paintings in a given time limit.
This was to encourage you to develop your skills and seeing powers.

Dear Dawn took over from Sunny, originally only to be on a temp basis, but what a wonderfully excellent job she has done. ~ now Dawn after carrying this thread for months desperately needs a well deserved break, why she's not been made a WC guide by now puzzles me ~ she has put her heart and sole into the Pastel Forum and I for one feel she deserves some sort of merit for that.

So most of you know the score, but for those that don't:-
Here's a link to the very first thread created by Sunny.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...threadid=89372

As most of you know the object is to paint a sketch from life in the main, within a given set of time i.e. 30 -45-60 minutes, then stop at whatever stage you are at.

Here's a link to last weeks thread, see all the beautiful work produced there :-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=111063

This is open to artists across the board of all degrees of skill, from the beginner to the professional.

This is now the 17th week.
I hope you will all take time to have a go ~ let's give Dawn our utmost support here. ~ She so darn well deserves it!

cheers,
Mo.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2003, 10:03 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
Thanks, mo, you're a peach!
I'll be away from my computer for 2 months, will still be sketching but don't know when I can access a scanner, so it's anybody's guess how often I'll be posting.
But once fall rplls around I'd be glad to help out here, too, if needed.
I agree about the WC guide thing, especially since our current guide hasn't been around for 3 months. BTW, I was surfing the net and found this article KarenU posted to an online artist mag in March.
http://www.ebsqart.com/zine_za_175.htm
Here's one I did yesterday looking out my window at the cottage. The water kept changing- some rough and reflecting the sky, some smooth and reflecting the trees. I did a soft pastel of this last fall. This one's o.p., on 5x7 gessoed mattboard.

my virtual gallery
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2003, 11:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States
Nice job on the entire piece. You really have got a knack on painting those trees - something I've always envied.
I'll check out the article by Karen.

PS: Love the red shoreline!!!

Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Oh Wendy this is a gobsmacker I love it ~ I still marvel at your tiny paintings, do you always work this size? What a wonderful exhibition they would all make.

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Enjoy your Summer, hope you will pop in from time to time.

cheers,
Mo.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2003, 09:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
MO: Here ya go - neighbor's mailbox with lavendar and pinks. Trying to get outside to draw from life - but it was 90 degress and the mosquitos attacked!

This is on Canson Mi-Tientes - more holes! Art Spectrum paper has spoiled me.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 08:54 AM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
awwwww thanks a lot Mo (((hugs))) to you

....... thats lovely Wendy..... your landscapes are so good

...... thats an interesting read from KarenU

...... I like the colours in your mail box Kat....... ha!, know what you mean about Canson and art spectrum...... lol I hate Canson now

...... glad to see people are posting......... great work you guys
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Manchester .Uk

Hails from United Kingdom
Ok here is one of my sketches.........i followed Jackies work book and this is all about tone and not worrying about the shapes.
Still in saying that I'm not too impressed with it I seem to have trouble just sketching .......like if it's not gona look like the item i'm doing properly then i seem to loose heart with it.....does that make any sense to anyone?!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 01:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Angeline: I think they look exactly like peppers - good job!

But I know what you mean when you lose heart - happens to me every time about half way through - stick through the "uglies" to the end. Half the time I am surprised with what I come up with if I stick it out.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 01:32 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
I think you have a wonderful elephant there ang .... ha!, no seriously........ you have done good with it, can see clearly what it is ....... try getting more shades with what you are using...... so you get alot more lights and darks going.......

I understand what you are saying.............. but all practise is GOOD practise and you learn each time....... all makes for improvement....... keep going
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Manchester .Uk

Hails from United Kingdom
DS ........so glad you could see the elephant!......lol
Kyle....thanks.
For got before to comment on others.
Wendy that landscape is a cracker!....so tiny! how do you do it?!
Kyle.......i find my favorite digit works wonders on the first layer to get rid of the holes!......
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 05:08 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
arrghhhhh
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 05:13 PM
A Local Legend
East Anglia, UK

Hails from England
Apologies for previous post ... I had started typing my message and it was sent before I'd finished! I tried deleting the post but could only delete my message. I must be tired. Anyway ... Wendy, another smashing little landscape. I recognised the picture of the lobster and glass in KarenU's article from my Bill Creevy book. Kat, the mailbox and flowers make such an unusual subject. Hayley, your peppers could only be peppers! No idea why you're not happy with them, but I do know what you mean about that stage where things aren't looking too good and you start to feel disheartened. Only one remedy for it. Keep sketching!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Kat ~ Love your little mailbox ~ I sympathise with the heat and especially the mozzies, do those things bite through clothing?~~~ I have a massive one, where my skin was covered, right on the top of my inner thigh

Ang ~ That's a great little sketch of the peppers ~~ keep going, work through it, you are doing great.

cheers,
Mo.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 07:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
MO: Those little buggers will bite through socks, on your neck, on your scalp, hands, face - wherever. And with the West Nile virus season coming up, not sure if I want to take a chance. It's still lifes for me -

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Kat ~ the one that fed on me must have bitten through my jeans Little buggers is too mild a word for them.