WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-1999, 10:25 PM
anitaarts

Focusing In

IS there anyone around who can give expert advice about focusing in on one subject and or medium? I've been told that it's best to advance yourself professionally to only use one or maybe two mediums to establish a name. I find this extremly diffficult. Does it come natural after you do so many pieces to go in this direction? I wish someone could elaborate on this for me. I keep getting encouragement to persevere but how long can one fight- creative self expression vs selling to the public to make money?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-1999, 11:27 AM
A Local Legend
Santa Rosa, CA USA

Hails from United States
I really wish I could be of some help, but I can't do it. I have been told so many times that if I concentrated on one media or even one project it would further my career. But can I do it? NOoooo! Maybe some time in the future art historians will look on us as being ahead of our time, the forerunners of a new way of creating. HA, well one can wish.

Ask yourself what it is you want in the long run. Do you want to feel like N C Wyeth, who considered himself a failure because all he painted was "comercial art" but was able to support his family, or do you want to me more like Van Gogh who starved while alive but must be looking down on us now "lolrotf" while his work sells for the big bucks.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-1999, 06:48 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
manhattan,ny

Hails from South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
you must understand that galleries see dozens,,,hundreds of portfolios a month,,,and they all start to run together. concentrate on a style or subject matter or whatever. the bottom line is to create a strong presence. to stand out. to be remembered. every artist worth his salt has a particular point of view. he is not different things to many people
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-1999, 07:29 PM
Suwanee, GA.USA

Hails from United States
good point about the galleriesI've been told it is best if possible to concentrate on one subject using the same or similiar mediums. What do you reccommend?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-1999, 09:10 PM
MA

It is phisically impossible to do everything at once, so you probably work on three to six distinctive lines (styles, techniques, themes etc.) Offer different "lines" to different galleries. It works for me. I sell plein-air watercolor landscapes on the spot to passers by, surrealist drawings to friends, realistic looking still-lives to neighbours and at art shows, etc.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-1999, 01:03 AM
manhattan,ny

the initial feeling of a new artist is to "cover" all the bases,,,,just in case. better to concentrate. you want to put your best foot forward, so paint in your best medium. that is the BEST advice i can give. however,,,,AND I DON'T LIKE WHAT I'M GOING TO SAY,,,but you asked. galleries and buyers gravitate to oils, it's a meatier medium. pastels are rarely seen. and watercolors pack more punch when the canvases are large. after reading this, erase from your mind that this ever came from me....milt

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 09-09-99).]
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-1999, 09:49 PM
Suwanee, GA.USA

Hails from United States
Oh brother..Oils are the one medium I don't do well in..I've done pen and inks of house..Pastel portraits of people and animals.All commissions through the years..I have and still do the pastels..I have not persued the pen and inks because they are sooooooo tedious and I'm not the best cleaner upper with those Rapiograph nibs..I must be insane. I'm leaning towards water color crayons,using them both with and without water..I love using them in a very abstract way..Stretching my imagination to the hilt as to what I can transform reagular objects into wierd stuff..Most people don't recognize anthing that resembles somthing in real life and they say" Unh huh..ok"when I tell them what the original object was.. I must be nuts ..I bet a lot of folks would try to just do and sell the "normal" stuff..
Who in their right gallery would even touch this kind of stuff? If so many lean away from pastels ,they must drive way out of the way to avoid wierd stuff like water color crayons..sigh..
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-1999, 06:26 PM
manhattan,ny

good is good in any language. just because something is weird, doesn't mean it can't LOOK good. as i said,,,put your best foot forward. people can sense bull. post an image that's typical for you, or email me a site( i don't do attachments),,,,milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-1999, 04:30 PM
Suwanee, GA.USA

Hails from United States
Bruin
I guess I shouldn't complain.If you would like to see my "wierd" stuff you can look me up in the Virtual Gallery or www.thecolony-art. I'm part of an artists" colony in the outskirts of Atlanta..Look under Anita Stewart.
Virtual Gallery page- Scott Burkett took the photos in my studio.(One of the pieces made it into a national juried exhibit recently.)
Art Colony Site- these pieces are more recent works..One of them is in print by a company in Atlanta.(That story is a horse of a different color.)
Let me know what you think..
Do you have your work in the Virtual Gallery or at another website?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-1999, 04:45 AM
manhattan,ny

one of the big problems with printed images is that i don't get to see the application of the paint....it bespeaks professionalism. a quality of finess and control.... your pieces are no "weirder" than what i see in new york or santa fe. i notice you paint small. an unfortunate aspect of art is the importance placed on size. it may do well here. especially with the materials you use, the need to legitimize is important here. there will also be a scale issue that you may benefit from. simply that the textures of your art may seem "finer" in a broader canvas than small, where they may look "sketchier". like i said,,,it's hard to say from images.
i think my site is in the profile when i first signed up

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 09-17-99).]

[This message has been edited by bruin70 (edited 09-17-99).]