WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Plein Air Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2001, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast
Ruther Glen, VA. USA

Hails from United States
Diane.... as you know, our beach getaway was my first serious attempt at plein aire. I have only tried a couple of times since, but just didn't feel as comfortable. Hopefully when the weather changes to warm, I'll get to go again. I use one of those grocery (stand up type) carriers on two wheels.. so nice and compact and holds everything snug
Carol

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/olecc
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2001, 07:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States
I also carry a concrete filled pvc pipe with a hook on it and bungie cord to weight down my easel. Diane, your suggestion on packing was good. I found two large, shoebox sized rubber containers that have handles. I put paint and glass pallette in one, mediums and brushes in the other, a tote bag for canvases and misc. If I am painting two days in a row, the rubber boxes can be left in the back of my truck as they are waterproof. If I am studio painting, I just leave all the stuff in the boxes next to my easel.
Linda

------------------
www.lindablondheim.com

[This message has been edited by blondheim12 (edited January 27, 2001).]
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2001, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast
Cary, NC

Hails from United States
This is becoming quite the thread! I am excited that you all are exchanging ideas and experiences so we can try new, efficient ways of solving technical issues, or gain the courage to paint en plein air, perhaps for for the first time!

In response to some of your comments n' questions:

Marilee:
You are so fortunate to have a year-round place to paint. CA is a great place with so much subject matter and visual inspiration. Congratulations on your sale! You can purchase the tripod at any good photo supply store. Or, you can mail order it through any of many discount photo supply houses. 47th St Photo in NYC is a good one. No, I haven't tried the tripod on wheels. I usually put everything into one rolling suitcase to protect from the weather and for carrying on airplanes.

Colin:
Good suggestion with the rock & rope. When deciding on equipment for open air painting I sometimes forget the weather, breezes, rain and the like.

Carol:
I have been eyeing those carts. They are flexible, lightweight and if they get broken, no great loss, they are inexpensive.

Linda:
The rubber containers are good. There are so many things to try. Tackle, make-up and, tote, lunch and other boxes, come in every size and shape. When I shop for a new box or supply holder, I take all my supplies with me, sit in the isle at the store then test to see which configuration works best.

Every year it seems, I pack smaller and smaller. It's always a challenge to see how little I need to take to make my painting time more enjoyable.

Keep those tips and painting wisdom coming!
Diane
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2001, 11:23 PM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
Exclamation

If you saw my FIRST posting from Monday, you know I am a rank outdoor amateur.
The really unexpected and wonderful part of it all was not the art, but the peanut gallery.
I was unaware while I painted, but when I turned around to face the parking lot, there was a guy, who had stopped and said hi, sitting there watching us.
I felt so good, getting the passerbys comments (all good) and funnily enough, a friend saw the picture this week and said it was the view from her home! She said she DID see us, but since there are quite a few artists out on occasion, she never took note.
I like the idea of bring a bunch of business cards...JUST in case.
So you say I need to bunjee myself to the easel....
not QUITE yet, but soon no doubt!
dj*
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2001, 01:33 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
manhattan,ny

Hails from South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
dj,,,,bring duct tape to tape the easel to the earth.....{M}

------------------
"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2001, 01:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Ocala, Fl. USA

Hails from United States
Yes do bring business cards! I painted plein air yesterday and had several poeple stop to look and talk. I made two contacts that could lead to commissions but had to exchange numbers on paper. BTW, Milts all about the duct tape latley! He told me to duct tape a water color painting to the nose of a plane!
Wind is a common problem in my area at times and although there have been great tips here, there are times when it's simply not a good idea to plein air. I did one last year that eventually ended up wet side down on the grass! Although it lended a certainly 'reality' to the piece i decided to know the limits in the future. If you don't mind a little dirt on the feet of your easel you can always dig three small holes in the ground and stick the legs in a couple of inches.
Cheryl

------------------
paintfool
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2001, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Cary, NC

Hails from United States
Wink

And don't forget to pack the food bars and water...feeding the artist is a must.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2001, 11:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Ocala, Fl. USA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Artistry:
And don't forget to pack the food bars and water...feeding the artist is a must.
Yep! I take water, bananas and reeses peanut butter cups. These are a MUST and should never be forgotten!
Cheryl

------------------
paintfool
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2001, 11:44 PM
Newport Beach Ca

Hails from United States
Wink

When I first started painting outdoors I was very self conscious. I thought people would be critical of what I was doing especially in the blocking out stage. But I soon found out that they always say something nice-even when you are just starting. I get a kick out of them saying "oh that is beautiful" and all I have on my canvas are blobs of color!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2001, 12:36 AM
California

My favorite comment was when I was painting just off a popular hiking trail. As a family with two little kids walked by, the mom pointed me out, "Look kids, it's a real artist!"

The lightest I've managed to trim my painting kit (watercolor), was for a backpacking trip last summer. Everything, including a 5x7 watercolor pad, fit into a quart size ziplock freezer bag. I made my own dry paint set by squeezing a bit of each color onto a tiny plastic pallet and letting it dry in the sun. Since the paper was so small, I didn't need much of each color. And I actually got alot of pictures I'm really happy with from that trip!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2001, 08:38 PM
Newport Beach Ca

Hails from United States
Smile

It looks as if there hasn't been much action here for a while, but I wonder if any one has used the Studio Pack for a french easle? I have been going into the state parks where you need to hike a ways and my luggage carrier that I always use keeps falling over on the rough trail. The pack will only carry the easel but what about the wet paintings? Right now I can put the small ones on the easel facing in to carry to my car, but how does that work in the Studio Pack?
Marilee
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2001, 02:42 PM
Rosemarie Lütken

Hello everyone!
Diane, what is a prochade box? (English isn't my native language.)
I am just trying to modify my old tripod to some kind of easel for plain air painting, and I am exploring how to modify it for watercolor painting.

Is there anyone who can help me with the details?

------------------
Rosemarie
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2001, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast
Cary, NC

Hails from United States
Hi Rosemarie

Welcome to WetCanvas and for your first post to this forum!

A "pochade" box is technically a compact artist's easel, palette and paint box combined for plein air painters and artists who travel and paint or sketch.

There are many, many kinds and designs at very high or low prices. Here are some web sites that show what they look like:

http://openboxm.com/
http://www.pochade.com/box/

You can of course make your own as well. Many of us here at WetCanvas have. Here is a box I made from a case I purchased at a drug store:
http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/paintkit.html

And Larry Seilier has made them as well. There are a several posts to check that he has written. He also posted this address of how to make one yourself:
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jcle/index.html#pochade

You can add a small box to your tripod that is light weight and easy to carry.
Hope this information helps you

Diane

------------------
L. Diane Johnson NAPA, PSA
Plein Air Workshops

[This message has been edited by Artistry (edited February 26, 2001).]
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2001, 06:16 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Men fear me, women desire me

I'm going on vacation soon and have been thinking of taking my french easel (half box). I was concerned about carrying it on to the plane. Has anyone had any problems doing that? Does anyone have any tips on taking a french easel on a plane? Thanks.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2001, 07:05 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
French easel on plane? Take it carry-on for sure. Depending on the airport you go through, you'll have little to no trouble if you don't have any solvents inside. You can pack all the paint and brushes that will fit. Try to secure the brushes with foam rubber or tape. At worst, security will ask you to open it up and they'll read the labels on all the paint tubes (they did that to me in Charlotte). At best, you can just run it through the carry on belt and be on your way.