WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Library > Oil Pastel Techniques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How have your Oil Pastel experiments worked?
Very well....can't wait to try more 28 45.16%
Alright...maybe I need to try some new ones 19 30.65%
Not well...but I'll keep trying 11 17.74%
Terrible...am frustrated with the medium 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2004, 09:47 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States
Re: Hot tulips...oil pastel heat technique

Don't remember, Sue. Sometime before the GAME!!!! They won. The Red Sox that is....I haven't thought about doing it in color. I have a hard time doing a piece a second time and I've tried... Pat
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2004, 10:04 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

oh...wow...missed that...the curse is broken!!! They sure earned it. I can't go back either, but suppose going forward is not a bad thing

Thanks, Steven...should've realized that!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Took the liberty of rating this thread I think this description of the technique would be a nice addition to the Library

"Every little observation is a study" - Joseph Mallord William Turner

Associate Member of the international Oil Pastel Society (OPS)
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2004, 08:03 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks, Steven!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast
Washington, DC USA

Hails from United States

Oh, this is the thread Dyin started that got me interested in heating oil pastels. I knew it was around here somewhere and actually found it and did the poll too. I voted for experiments are going fine, or whatever the top choice was. Thanks Dyin, great ideas !
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Enthusiast
Washington, DC USA

Hails from United States

Hi all,
I noticed that this thread keeps popping up to the top, even though there are no new posts. I think it may be doing this because of some feature to do with polls? Maybe every time it is viewed it pops up as new? Well, that's all I can figure, cause I know I haven't been looking at it or posting in it every few hours Just thought I would mention this, because it appears I am posting in it it very often but I ain't doing it. Except now of course. Oops. I am not really sure why it keeps popping back to the top saying I was last poster. It's being doing that for a few days, I am confused. It has been 4 days since I last posted in this thread, until now. Hmmm, I don't get it.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Aiken, SC

Hails from United States

Hi, and I'm thrilled with all the info to be picked up here. My experience with heating oil pastels is this:
I applied several colors heavily to a gessoed canvas and heated an encaustic iron slightly. I ironed the pastel to blend and smooth out the colors. I got a great effect. Then later I found that the oil pastel, once heated, became brittle and flaked off in patches. Not good. I also have tried warming the oil pastels in a bread warmer, but the outsides in touch with the warmer surface melted too much and made a mess. Does anyone know of a very gentle warmer for cold days in the studio? In summer, I have to keep my studio several degrees cooler than the rest of the house or else the oil pastels are just too soft.
Comments? You can see my work at littlehouseart.com.
Louise
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2008, 01:50 PM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

Welcome... Do you have a small electric heater that you could turn on in the area of your pastels? that might warm them up just enough.
Beautiful work on your site. What kind of OPs do you use?

Pat
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
in a little village by the sea in the east

Hails from Canada

Hi Louise, I use a hair dryer to warm them up a bit for blending and put the painting in an unheated room or the fridge to cool them down a bit for layering.

__________________________Wendell
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2008, 03:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Eastern Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi, Louise, and welcome to the OP Forum. I happen to have my small spare-bedroom studio arranged such that my OP trays are right above my electric baseboard heating unit, and that keeps them from getting too cold in the winter. I like your horse and farm paintings. I was wondering whether you coat your foam board with anything? Jane
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Immortalized
Canada

Hails from Canada

I've tried monoprints techniques on fiberglass with various mediums.
I sanded down my fiberglass,and applied a layer of Gum arabic all over.
I paint on the fiberglass, and when I am ready I do my transfer on printing paper like rives, somerset, or Arches vellum.

Watersoluble oil pastels work very well. I do not melt them; but what I do is spray my painting on fiberglass with water when my painting is done, then place my printing paper on top and burnish it with a spoon.

It's really fun!

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Whidbey Island Washington

Hails from United States

"Does anyone know of apparatus for grilling/baking with a totally flat metal surface and adjustable heat?
Or does anyone have alternative ideas for encaustic techniques?
This could open up a lot of new possibilities for painting with oilpastels and waxcrayons.

Dick"

I use a large electric griddle with teflon surface for the oil pastels and encaustics. It is 14 x 15". I can mix colors right on the surface and pick them up with a bursh and paint them on the surface or I can heat in small metal containers and paint from that. Or I can paint on the surface with lit set on low heat with the op and then press the paper onto it.

I have used oil pastels in encaustic, drawing right on the wax, but if you are careful you can also use it on 300# paper and quickly hit it with the heat gun or blow torch being careful not to scorch the paper. A hair dryer was not hot enough for me. Then move it around with the brush or palette knife. I think the paper looks and works best if you have used a thin coating of wax to prime the surface of the paper because the oil pastel moves around more easily and doesn't suck right into the paper and stain it as quickly. You can also scratch back into the soft op to get a linear design.

The paper can also be set directly onto the griddle surface set on low and when warm you can draw right on the warm paper. Watch for overheating, heavy paper is best.
Londondeon

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Waterbury, CT

Hails from United States

Love the colors in this

If the eyes are the windows to the soul, creativity is the heart.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 PM

Hi,
I've found oil pastels more difficult to work with than soft pastels--they function more like crayons and you can't really blend much. Personally, for drawing, I prefer charcoal with some gray pastels. As for other supplies--pencils are pencils; use whatever lead works the best for you. I've had experience with oil paints and really enjoyed it--they take forever to dry, so they're easier to mix than acrylics, although this can cause problems with actually painting--you have to be patient. I've not really enjoyed my experiences with watercolors, but I'm not really much of a 2D person, anyway.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Kentucky

Hails from United States

Here is an experiment using this technique. I did it using a hot pan, cheap oil pastels, and aluminum foil in a heat transfer technique I read about in one of the forms. While not the easiest way to paint it does give a free impressionistic feeling to the painting.

Let me know what you think about these trees.
Attached Images

MAS

Last edited by Lostjedi : 04-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.