WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 06:28 PM
Montana

Hails from United States
Pen & Ink Sketch From Workshop

Pen and Ink Forum:

I had the neat opportunity to attend a Claudia Nice pen and ink workshop this past weekend. Attached is an assignment sketch I did from the workshop (6"x 8").

Jerry
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 06:47 PM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up

Good use of your contour lines for the wood bank supports Jerry An overall GREAT ink drawing!! I am a bit jealous of the fact that you attended a Claudia Nice class though

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 07:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States
OMG!!! I am SO jealous you got to attend one of her workshops. Did you travel to her neck of the woods? Or was she in your area? Was it a 2-day class? What was it like? What else did you work on? What was your favorite part? Details, details!!!

Very nice drawing, BTW.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Montana

Hails from United States
Thank you artdude and Monica for viewing my work and for your comments.

Monica -- I traveled to her studio for a two-day pen and ink workshop. Her studio is near Mt. Hood in Oregon. I am fortunate to have friends in Gresham, OR, which is where I stayed not too far away.

Claudia is a pleasant person and a good teacher. I really enjoyed the time. The first day was mostly class room instruction. She covered everything from the basic type of strokes to showing how to do difficult items like clouds, rocks, and water. The second day was spent mostly doing sketches live from the pleasant outdoor setting near her place.

There were 15 students in the class. I particularly liked the way she criticized our work. She went around to all the students work and made comments for improvement to everyone so that you learned not only from your own sketches but also from other's sketches. It was also interesting to see how others interpreted the same subject. They were all so different.

Another thing that was helpful was a quick tutorial on water color which I did not expect. One of our assignments was a water color sketch. We also washed one of our pen and ink sketches with water color.

The sketch that I posted was one assignment in which we were to make a pen and ink sketch from a subject of our own choosing from the local environment.

Jerry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 08:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States
Jerry, thanks so much for the trip report! LOL That sounds very exciting. Do you think the class was worth your time and $$?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Add me to the jealous list! I'm just up I-5 a few hours from her place, but it might as well be the dark side of the moon *pout*. I've been totally intrigued by her ever since I found out she is/was in Search & Rescue (I was too!)
Any notes you want to share from your class would be gratefully recieved- hint
Oh, and nice pen drawing of yours!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Immortalized
Tarragona, Catalonia

Hails from Spain
Here is another jealous! I've never had classes of pen and ink and I would love it.
I love your drawing, a lot of different textures in it. Did you draw it first with pencil?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2003, 08:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
OOooooooh! I am green with envy I have just ordered two of her books and can't wait to get them.
This is a lovely drawing....so much life in all those different pen strokes...very nice
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
milan - italy

Hails from Italy
very great work!

Quote:
[i]I am a bit jealous of the fact that you attended a Claudia Nice class though
[/b]

i'm happy for you, and thanks for sharing with us your experience. it's very interesting!
ciao, rapolina.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Phoenix, Arizona

Hails from United States
lovely work. oh man!! I miss taking art classes.....gawd, I wish I had the time. LOL ... I dropped out of college just after finishing my last core art class...Didn't like the idea of taking classes in math and science. he he he

Danny
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Montana

Hails from United States
Thank you all for your kind words.

Mary -- You asked about sharing a note. One comment that I though was important is the principle of using several different kinds of contrasts to make your pen and ink more eye catching. Use contrasts of texture, line direction, stroke types, values, and even nib size.

Dolors -- Yes I started with a rough pencil sketch. Claudia does the same. After composition and layout is confirmed then you can begin with pen and ink. The pencil lines can be erased later.

Monica -- Yes, I thought that the workshop was worth the time and money, especially for me because I don't have a lot of experience in pen and ink. Claudia's Husband provided breakfast and lunch both days in addition to the really good teaching from Claudia.

Jerry
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2003, 03:24 AM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
You get an A+ from me I am jealous too. The only ones that give workshops in my neck of the woods are Tom Benic, a very very fine paper maker that makes paper mainly for printmakers. Also Bobby Kelly, who is known in Idaho for her beautiful ink and watercolor paintings. It is nice to live near such successful artists.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa