WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2000, 02:34 PM
SorcerersApprentice

Question Bob Ross...

OK...I know a lot of artists don't like Bob Ross and his art...in fact a lot of you don't even think he is an ARTIST. My question is why? Why is he not considered an artist by the artist community? What makes his work not worthy?

I used to watch him as a kid and always loved to watch him paint. In fact, he is the reason that I want to get into oil painting as of this day!

I am not knocking you that don't like him and his work, I just want to know the reasons behind not liking his work. Nothing more, nothing less.

------------------
Allen
--
"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse!" - Walter Elias Disney
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2000, 03:13 PM
Fort Collins, CO USA

Hails from United States
Smile

Allen: In my humble opinion, art is about self expression. Bob R. expressed himself and chose to do it in a certain way, albeit, a repetitive one. But that is what made him happy (and rich, I might add). So many folks are a bit "snobbish" about art because it is specialized knowledge and they want to appear to be "smarter" than just a repetitive painter. And art has, since "modern" art began, always pursued the "new". I.e. how can I ADD something to the world of art? As a result, many contemporary artists pursue the NEW at all costs. But if that is what makes them happy, so be it. My take? Pursue your passion, do what makes you happy and to heck with everyone elses criticisms.
--Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2000, 03:37 PM
SorcerersApprentice

Thanks, Doug! I just think that Bob was a great artist with his work...I used to be fascinated watching him take a blank piece of cloth and transform it into these awesome landscapes before my eyes! And then for him to tell me that I could do it too...I just didnt believe him. Traditional artist? Maybe not, but he IS an artist none the less! He spread his knowledge and brought many people joy. He also helped to bring more people into the world of art and painting than any other artist that I can think of.

I guess that is what he was shooting for, though, to get more people into art and to have them enJOY themselves while doing it!

------------------
Allen
--
"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing...that it was all started by a mouse!" - Walter Elias Disney

[This message has been edited by SorcerersApprentice (edited November 02, 2000).]
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2000, 04:08 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Truth is Allen, this is a debate and artss cultural issue and really belongs over on the "Debate Forum." Not just because I am one of the moderators there ...

I assure you a long thread and much exchange over there....as it often does. I have my opinions, but won't share them here on this forum.

Larry

[This message has been edited by lseiler (edited November 02, 2000).]
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2000, 06:01 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Moving it there now.....<DUCK!>