WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 10:32 AM
West Lafayette, In, USA

Hails from United States
Red face 4th grade Valentine craft ideas needed

<FONT COLOR="Red">I was asked to be in charge of the craft for the party----because I'm an artist, you know. I need ideas, primarily things that can be done with paper (Arlene!) that I can get from the school supplies.</FONT c>
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Outside Atlanta, GA, USA

Hails from United States
Well...making valentines is the obvious outcome for the holiday...but you could create some with artsy ideas...

like stamping images
cutting paper dolly type figures
collage different shapes together
watercolor painting
make a windchime of heart shaped papers
cover a small box with valentine wrapping paper...inside fill with mints (or other candy that the kids could bring) for mom
(you can make the boxes out of heavy paper but you might need a pattern to cut the shapes out with)
make a valentine a day calendar...let the kids come up with ideas for each day to write into the calendar/decorate the top with torn hearts or folded 3/d shapes.
collage tissue paper (valentine colors or design) onto heavier paper...use tempera for abstract paintings...use string, glitter..anything to make it more 3/d

I'm sure there are a lot more ideas to come!
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 04:39 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
I just saw a kid's tv show make an alien pinata with paper mache... maybe you could make heart ones somehow? I'd use 3 balloons inside- one big one with 2 little ones taped to the top, then paper over and pop all the balloons. You have to remember to keep the layers pretty thin on the bottom half so it will break when hit. And fill them up with those little sugar hearts and valentine cards. Well, the sugar would keep the kids hyper anyways.

Collages are always good gluey fun too - maybe a class collage valentine for the principal or the president or the mayor or something.

Tina.

------------------
http://www.tina-m.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 07:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
paper mobile
or pop up cards...lots of books in barnes and noble or borders on the art
how bout just a collage picture and use other items besides paper
as i think of more i'll post, seems i get the same job every year also

oh one more,
valentine's day stamps

------------------
http://www.artdebut.com/arlene.htm
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 07:59 PM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Hails from United Kingdom
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by kellysue:
<FONT COLOR="Red">I was asked to be in charge of the craft for the party----because I'm an artist, you know. I need ideas, primarily things that can be done with paper (Arlene!) that I can get from the school supplies.</FONT c>

Kelly Sue, as you may be aware I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment.
If you would like to e - mail photos of the kids and there Mums ( whoever the card is for)I would be happy to draw up personalised cards for them on the computer, with both their photo and the receipients.
Anything text they want to add can also be added, as well as Mums favourite flower etc
Feel free, it would giveme something to do, and I would e - mail you back the results for you to print out.
Joe

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 08:07 PM
West Lafayette, In, USA

Hails from United States
Good ideas, keep 'em coming. I'd rather not buy anything...so things that the school would have on hand are the best. I have a question about mobiles, what do you suggest using for the sticks at the top? Maybe plastic oleo tub lids with holes cut around the perimiter. I also have a large supply of coarse salt and scented oil for bath salts if I could come up with a good container.

We only have about 25 minutes, not much time for making crafts and letting paint dry--then going on the bus.

My ideas so far: paper strip weaving, cutting silhouette shape of hearts and kissing swans, (that was too hard), and folding paper into 3-d pyramids that can be decorated and hung as ornaments.

gotta go
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 08:10 PM
West Lafayette, In, USA

Hails from United States
Joe,

excellent idea, will email you later

Kellysue
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2001, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast
Charlotte, N.C. United States

Hails from United States
As a school teacher myself..I know where you are coming from I teach k thru 8th grade... and making homemade pager into hearts is fun..
you can use cotton and a the soft screen that they use for screens you can buy cheap at lowe's and stretch it on a frame...strain that and they can paint on the homemade papter with tempera paint and glue flowers on it...
Or they can make a box out of construction paper and glue cut out hearts on it..soak the hearts in liquid starch, this will make the hard where they can stand up on their own.. you can even let them make a puffy heart out of news paper and make it stiff with the liquid starch then fill it with candy.. I dont' know how many days you will have to work on this.
rox

------------------
everywhere I see art!
my pages..brag..brag..brag
http://members.nbci.com/slyasthecat/Index.htm
http://members.nbci.com/c_hikers/Index.htm
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2001, 09:00 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Great thread! IT will be interesting to see what ideas spring forth.

I am moving it over to the Teacher's Toolbox forum though....

Cheers.
Scott

------------------
B. Scott Burkett
Founder, WetCanvas!
http://www.scottburkett.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2001, 01:45 PM
West Lafayette, In, USA

Hails from United States
Hey Joe,
Thanks for volunteering to help, but the parents of these kids would probably rip my arms off if I sent their kid's pictures over the internet. I'm sure you are a nice man, but you have to be careful in this day and age. I'm going to use Renae's crayon idea--i have the materials at home and time to do it. So thanks again, don't take it personally,
Kellysue
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2001, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast
USA~and proud of it too~

Hails from United States
An idea is to check out marthastewart.com, michaels.com and acmoore.com...look under crafts.

Another great one for at home though, is to shave a bunch of crayola crayons, take the shavings between wax paper, put a pressing cloth between iron and wax paper, press till melts, let cool, cut into heart shapes, attach string to tops of hearts, attach string to a hanger wrapped in red yarn and wa - la you have a heart mobile.

You can also make them just for the windows too, they take on a stained glass look when the sun hits them.

Warmth,
ReNae

------------------
The bird sings not because it has an answer. The bird sings for it has a song.