WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which of these sites (Redbubble or Fineartamerica) do u prefer for making sales?
I sell frequently on both of these sites. 0 0%
I make a comparable amount of sales on each venue. 1 3.45%
I make more sales on Fineartamerica.. 9 31.03%
I make more sales on Redbubble.. 2 6.90%
I don't use either of these websites. 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States
Redbubble vs. Fineartamerica (only these 2 sites)

Hi guys!

If you have had experience using both of these venues, please discuss them..
Or, participate in the poll.

Is one site better than the other?
Thanks!

Last edited by surreal : 04-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Redbubble vs. Fineartamerica (only these 2 sites)

Hi, Nina,

I've been on RB years longer, but have already, in less than a year, had more success on FAA. I also give FAA the edge for print quality, ease of navigation, and available marketing tools.

Also, FAA's product pages are beautiful, and they offer a much greater variety of frames and finishes (including gorgeous, acrylic-faced prints), and . . .

What can I say? Despite the unfortunate lag-time in communication from technical support, FAA's the clear winner here. In my own humble opinion, of course!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States

EyeSpy,

Thanks so much for the wealth of info you provided.
I greatly appreciate it!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Enthusiast
Boyup Brook, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

I'm with both, been with RB pretty much since it started, but FAA only about 6 or 7 weeks now.

I've had intermittent sales on RB, none yet on FAA as to be expected after such a short time (and due to one of my horses getting a serious injury I havn't been working it for the past four weeks).

The RB interface is clunky IMO compared to the FAA interface which works well, and defintiely worth the $30 per year for what you get ( you could get away with using the artistsite and their blog platform instead of a website if you couldn't afford both).

I don't think the two can really be compared though, the type of work that sells repeatedly on RB is more graphical design in nature, whereas sales on FAA is often more art oriented and has FAR better products for putting fine art on than Redbubble does.

Both have about a gazillion artists though, so difficult to sell anything as a direct result of their internal search facilities, they need to be treated for what they are - print on demand services that you need to market yourself to obtain sales for.

Website/Blog
Facebook Page
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast
WA

Hails from United States

I'd agree that FAA offers better quality and more choices. I'm hesitant to actually put more of my stuff on RB because of the fact that the options are only "photo print" which tells me that's something I could do myself, or "poster" which requires ridiculously hi res images compared to FAA, so I have not even had the chance to offer those. But, imo, "poster" is not considered high quality compared to "fine art print". So if I could get a "fine art print" from FAA for the same price as I can get a "poster" from RB, why would I choose RB?

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Exactly Crista. I started with RB because I am located in Australia and at the time the exchange rate made it very expensive for Australians to buy from zazzle or FAA. Now that is much less of an issue and to be honest if I didn't already have work uploaded there, I wouldn't bother doing it now as zazzle offers similar at lower prices.

Website/Blog
Facebook Page
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Immortalized
Edmonton

Hails from Canada

I have been on Redbubble for a couple of years but have not used Fineartamerica so can't offer a comparison. I will however share what I like and dislike about Redbubble:

I like the variety of products they offer - cards (post and note), photo prints in different sizes, matted prints and framed prints (plus many more consumer products that I'm not particularly interested in). My favorite products are the calendars. I have found them easy to produce and I like the quality. I've ordered from Redbubble a number of times and been very happy with the quality and amazed by the speed of shipping.

On the downside, Redbubble has not been successful me in terms of sales. In fact, I've been on the site for over 2 years, had over 17,000 page views and not made a single sale (other than the numerous orders I've made myself for promotional materials/gifts).
There are a lot of groups on Redbubble making it also a social media site. At first I tried to be active in a few of the groups but with so many on line groups I abandoned the Redbubble ones. That probably cut the exposure of my work which reduces the possibility of sales. I get the impression that Redbubble is not well known outside of its user community(and its name would not give the general public a clue).

I am now reconsidering my on-line sales strategy and am thinking about Fineartamerica and a few others. Ideally I'd like one service for both print product and original paintings.

RandallTalbot.com ... Blog ... Facebook page
“I never wanted color to be color. I never wanted texture to be texture, or images to become shapes. I wanted them all to fuse together into a living spirit" ... Clyfford Still
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Hi, Randy,

FAA does allow both POD and original works.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Immortalized
Edmonton

Hails from Canada

Thanks EyeSpy - Yes, I noticed that and it is a big plus, but it looks like you can only list the originals on FAA but not use their check out system to handle payment. Still, just the exposure FAA would offer might make it worth it.

RandallTalbot.com ... Blog ... Facebook page
“I never wanted color to be color. I never wanted texture to be texture, or images to become shapes. I wanted them all to fuse together into a living spirit" ... Clyfford Still
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Temecula

Hails from United States

fine art america..very nice people,no sales....
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

DoinaArt, unfortunately you have to market yourself and find your own buyers. And there is a process involved in using keywords and community exposure to encourage sales from within the FAA search facility.

For only $30 a year you can't really expect FAA to bring buyers to your (and every other artists) gallery.

I've only had two sales at FAA so far (I havn't been there very long). The profits from that will pay my membership at FAA well past 2020

Website/Blog
Facebook Page
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Enthusiast
WA

Hails from United States

I had a real slump in FAA sales the first few months this year. But sales have been picking up for me recently. I've made 10 sales in the past month, 3 just today! Now if I could just make 3 sales a day everyday!
FAA has definitely more than paid for its $30/year fee.
Anyone else seeing a pick up in print sales lately?

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSForest
I had a real slump in FAA sales the first few months this year. But sales have been picking up for me recently. I've made 10 sales in the past month, 3 just today! Now if I could just make 3 sales a day everyday!
FAA has definitely more than paid for its $30/year fee.
Anyone else seeing a pick up in print sales lately?

That is fantastic news!
Great going!

How often are you listing new work?
Are you promoting your work on FAA?
Have you joined any FAA groups?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

If you have the time, is there any reason not to do both? I did notice on a cursory overview the average print prices seem to be quite a bit lower on Red Bubble. Why is that?

David
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast
WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
If you have the time, is there any reason not to do both? I did notice on a cursory overview the average print prices seem to be quite a bit lower on Red Bubble. Why is that?

David

I think because RB does "photo prints" which, to me, is just an image generated from any computer printer on Office Max photo paper, such as I could do myself. FAA uses superior paper, printer, and inks for an archival quality fine art print.