WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2003, 03:38 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Weekly Pastels 18th May - 24th May

ok the flood gates are open again ......... this is erm...... think 14th Week

the idea is to paint quick n loose ..... in a set time of ..... 30 mins-45- 60mins and post the results at the point you are at (so we can all have a giggle ) ...... <<<< only joking!!
its open to all and any that want to participate, no matter what your skill level is..... to the humble newbie, to experienced pastellists ......
You can always carry on working on your piece later ...... its all about having fun and joining in ....... there really has been some great paintings through this weekly thread ....... lots of encouragement, support, advise and critique if you want it .... questions answered ..... there is a link back on each previous week ....... or just pop in for a natter

see you all later ........ have fun

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=106799
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Wales

Hails from United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just been working on a photo i took in west kirby in the wirral it was on new years day this year, and was really warm, i thought it might be a good exercise in reflections, i would welcome any help on how you go about doing something like this, do you sketch it out first, or is it experience?
It was done on daler-rowney, 150 gm, beige col. paper, 12x9". I am including the photo, it took me an hour but theres lots more to do to it.
Thanks for viewing
Attached Images

I love Painting but my passion is Photography,
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Wales

Here´s the photo,
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 12:41 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
lovely photo flower...... can see why you wanted to paint it ...... beautiful colours.... looks peaceful and calming...... looking at the photo, that could be a space ship ..... and the dark shadows, little people going off into it lolol... and theres me thinking I dont have an imagination

..... if you could try and use the uploader for posting your photos and paintings....... (top right of screen) it would help, as when people comment, they get a view of the work and is easier to comment on .....
So Im using my memory now of your painting ..... I loved how you got the sky ..... has set the mood, and will love looking at this when you have finished....... as for your question, well I dont think there is an awful lot to sketch, but I would of perhaps just put a few lines for the horizon/land and moon something like that ..... the horizon not being dead centre on the page
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Wales

Hi Dawn,

I think i must be computer thick, i use the uploader button at the top and then i copy the thread number, then i minimise it, and then i write my post and then i go to the bottom of the page, attach file and i thought that was it.............................LOL HELP will i ever learn the computer LOL

Thanks for your comments, its actually amazing but the people you see in the distance look as though there walking on water, theres a kind of road built through the water, i have more pics from here i will post in the ref. lib. i thought it was a good practice photo,..........................and ty for taking the time

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 04:41 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
No worries flower (In her best Charlie Williams Voice) ..... I have just sent a long pm to someone about how to use the uploader..... it seemed to work for them so I will forward it onto you.... so hope it helps

keep pastelling ..... you are doing good
by the way...... congrats on your Merit
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Wales

Hi Dawn,

Glad that you live in my computer cos when i´m not sure about something you are there..............LOL would welcome any computer help as well as pastel help........................and on my Merit i´m over the moon, don´t know what i did to deserve it but its nice to have, ty those in WC that gave it to me

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 04:51 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
well for what its worth and for what I know, am glad to share - I received so much encouragement and support on going WC, the least I can do is reply in 'kind' and Im more than happy to.

..... I sent you a pm flower in regards to details on the uploader
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Wales

Hi Dawn,

Got it going to translate it LOL ty so much, hope i can get it to work , the old motto "try and try again and if you don´t succeed try and try again" ............LOL

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast
South Florida

Hails from United States
Patricia - that is a stunning scene and as far as sketching in first there's very little to do, as Dawn said. Now you might want to straighten out the horizon line and also move it if possible. Even though the photo is evenly divided, the painting will look better if it is not evenly divided. My approach would be to see which looked better, less sky or less water then place the horizon accordingly. Look forward to seeing the next phase.

By the way Dawn I meant to tell you that I went to buy some black paper the other day and the stores (two art supply stores) didn't have any - is it all at your house? I wanted to paint the oak in a larger format and the only piece I have left is 9 x 12ish, so I'll either have to order or take a longer trip to Jerry's.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 05:16 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Quote:
Originally posted by doe

By the way Dawn I meant to tell you that I went to buy some black paper the other day and the stores (two art supply stores) didn't have any - is it all at your house? I wanted to paint the oak in a larger format and the only piece I have left is 9 x 12ish, so I'll either have to order or take a longer trip to Jerry's.

lolol doe ..... sowey hee hee ...... well I ordered it from Dick Blick... have you tried there?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
patricia-- i can't help you technically; but i think this is coming along beautifully. nice choice of subtle, but dramatic colors.

dark shades-- can you please forward that upload e-mail to me too? i had troubles, last time, too.. .lol.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 05:21 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Escape

well I did this for the weekly pastel thread in mind, though I have now posted it out into the forum.

It took just over an hour and a half..... on art spectrum colour fix card.... 9 x 12 Blue

I am really quite pleased with the two Ive painted this weekend on this paper..... and am definately going to order more

Never done a seascape or anything like this before... boats, sky ....

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 05:26 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
Quote:
Originally posted by oramasha
patricia-- i can't help you technically; but i think this is coming along beautifully. nice choice of subtle, but dramatic colors.

dark shades-- can you please forward that upload e-mail to me too? i had troubles, last time, too.. .lol.

all done Oramasha...... sent it to your pm box
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Wales

Smile

Hey Dawn,

I think its great for your not experience in boats and sea its come out great, i just think maybe in the foreground it should be beach or maybe the waves should come a bit more to the foreground, only a personal opinion but from one who loves the sea and beaches...........LOL