Originally Posted by AbstractArt99
I'm wondering how long does it take for the solvents in a painting to evaporate. If i hung a wet painting on my living room wall to dry will this cause a problem in terms of toxicity building up in my house? Do wet paintings need to be kept in a ventilted/uninhabited area until they are dry?
I read somwhere that solvents evaporate quite rapidly, like within 30 mins or something, but as i use OMS it is hard to tell by smell alone so I''m not sure whether to trust this information.
I have not tested the evaporation rates in a painting
, however I have tested three solvents by themselves, right out of the bottle. I tested turpentine (both artists and hardware store brand), Odorless mineral spirits (hardware brand), and sansador (artists low odor thinner). I let equal volumes in equal surface area and at the same temperature, dry and then weighed them for residue and just observed the drying rates. Of course turpentine went the fastest, OMS was much slower, maybe two or three times, and the artists low odor thinner was at least two times slower than the OMS.
Anyway the point is, it depends upon a number of factors, the type of solvent, the amount of solvent used, temperature, and paint thickness, etc.