WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Need help with legs for home made Pochade

I found this silver case at Goodwill and thought it would make a great pochade. I'm new to painting and haven't done anything outside yet but it's a logical move. And I'd love to take my paints on with me when I visit my daughter.

Anyway, you can see it's a great size. It's 18 inches long, 9 3/4 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches deep (1 1/2 inch on the bottom & 1 inch on the top).

The square of paper is cut to 8x10. I'll have plenty of room to make a sort of drop out box/easel in the top left. I'm thinking of a box with separators that is closed but pulls out at the top (hinged on the bottom) to slide the boards in. Then when it's closed up I can have a little ledge at the bottom to prop the canvas on. I like the idea of the knife holders for the brushes. They're fitting in there pretty snug. I'll have plenty of room below the canvas on the left for a stay wet palette and some dividers 'shadow box like' for other things.

My problem is legs. I've read on here where so many of you fantastically enterprising people have added tripod legs and I have a few of those but the problem I have is that this is not a small box. It's 18 inches long and will very likely wobble on a tripod. The case it's self is thin, possibly wood but you never know with these things. A board on the bottom would help with that but not with the wobble.

It's just about 3-4 lbs now and will likely be a lot heavier when filled. It also needs to be portable. The legs will have to telescope and be portable, that's a must, or I would have just add four table legs to it.

Any and all ideas are enthusiastically welcomed!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Memphis, TN

Hails from United States
Re: Need help with legs for home made Pochade

How about a Mabef MBMA-30 tripod that is made specifically for pochade boxes? Here's one at Dick Blick:
http://www.dickblick.com/items/50382...ckw=50382-1045

Or look on ebay, and do a search for "projector stand", or "portable projector stand" or "projector tripod" you might find something unique.

Or even though you said you didn't want to go with a camera tripod, I think it's still worth considering. You can buy a tripod mount from Dickblick or Jerrrysartarama, in the Guerilla box accessories, and screw it to the bottom of your pochade. My Open Box M Pochade box is 12 inches wide by 16 inches long, plus some, not so different from what you have. If you go to the Open Box M website, you can see the type tripod they recommend, it's pretty sturdy.

One last option, do a search for "watercolor easel" on Google and see what you find, they typically are designed to tilt down, you could rest your pochade on the tilted surface. I have the older equivalent of a Jullian Rexy Watercolor Easel, you could rig it to hold your pochade.

Good luck!

http://matthewleestudio.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Memphis, TN

Hails from United States

The MABEF main website has the pochade tripods on sale:http://www.mabefeasel.com/products/M...ox-Tripod.html
Mabef is good quality stuff, well made in my opinion.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Nashville, TN USA

Hails from United States

I have a regular tripod mount and it does wobble a lot but I've heard that a FLUSH MOUNT tripod (like the one listed before this post) will not wobble nearly as much...don't know because I don't own one but that is what I heard.

-"Bear Claw" Chris Lapp
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Thank you all for all your help. That Mabef tripod looks like it would fit the job perfectly. I didn't even know they had something like this. And the one on sale is very reasonable.

This is going to be so much fun to make!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Memphis, TN

Hails from United States

I used a Mabef M29 easel for my plein air work for 5 years or so. Some of the hardware wore out. I contacted the manufacturer in Italy, and they were kind enough to send me a replacement bolt for the one that was stripped.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

Here's instructions for mounting a nut if you use a camera tripod, just be sure you don't use a soft wood like pine to mount the nut in (thank you sidbledsoe ):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14161229

edited to add, if you do use a camera tripod, get a sturdy one.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

ah, Good idea about the pine. I wouldn't have thought of that. I have to try to keep it light though. I'm not all that strong. Unless I put the whole thing on wheels... yes! wheels! LOL This thing could easily get carried away!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast
Kansas

Hails from United States

As noted above the Judsons sell the hardware they use on their products (The Gorilla Box, etc.) including a robust threaded plate for a tripod connection. A quick-release device is a big help. An adjustable tripod head helps a lot but is not absolutely needed. The head must be able to hold the weight of the box without allowing the set up to slip. Having the plate located at the point that the box balances when open will help you too.
>>Incidentally, if you are looking for a robust wooden box with hinges and a latch you might want to find an old obsolete electronic tube tester. It will be very cheap. Remove the electronics and you will have a nice, probably oak, case with good old real hardware.
Have fun, Dave