WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
Re: Jerome bound.....

(not sure why my photos are so small, will check into it.)
I like this one!
dj*
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

This was one I took and it was on canvas, but I didn't get a chance to work on it.
For the progress shot crowd, I have a peek into how I put the coffee on the canvas and when it is dry, I use a small brush (sponge brush might work best) and wet and wipe off areas to lighten them up. I did it mostly with the hat and finished it off with white charcoal pencils. Fixed, acrylic coated, UV inhibitor and finally picture varnish. Should work like an oil on a wall:

after

(I think I want to do... maybe a BLURB BOOK.... called "when cowgirls grow up they become women")
dj*
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

oh, and here is how the pretty one ended up:
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

No idea how the link up top died... uploaded a new shot all clean and lost it from photobucket.... going to try to make bigger pictures.
dj*
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Catherine1

Hey gal.. I posted once before and guess the gremlins got it!

So.. I said good luck at the show.. and I love what your doing!! Fantastically rendered pieces!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

DJ.....this much I can almost guarantee you. You keep producing this quality of work and the buyers will be there. Maybe not in throngs at first, but they will be there. Work this good seldom goes unrewarded.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

dj,

According to Jack White, it's better to start of selling at a low price and actually sell your work, than it is to start to high and not sell at all. Doctor's are licensed to practice, and artists get paid to learn how to paint.

Good luck,
Donald
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I am (barely) supporting myself as a portrait painter. In fact I am slowly dribbling away my savings in trickles, not floods, so I am actually selling. I just don't have an agent and I am trying to get my face OUT in something a little more visible.
The good news was that most of the people asked what something LIKE these would cost. That is really what I live on: commissions. I have a small circle that it is very hard to break out of. It would be wonderful to get something into galleries and selling but the hard part is coming up with a price that gets me what I am worth as an artist, and adds the commission for the gallery. IF I had a gallery that would send me work, it would be a win-win.
I spend 90% of my time looking for commissions, and 10 painting. I would like the numbers to level out. I am really used to not selling. These are very much learning experiments, as it is CAKE to paint them, a little less easy designing them and a lot of work dealing with clients. Whipping these out is the fun part. Unfortunately, framing, hanging and hunting the walls for them sucks my life away. Demos are refreshing, as they kill two birds with one stone!
I have a demonstration of the coffee technique at the Payson Art Center on the 17th. I am trying to get some of my hashknife guys up and notified to see if I can find the ones that DON'T live in bunk houses, and might want some for a wall.

Never stop moving forward.
dj*
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
West Michigan

Hails from United States

DJ, These really are wonderful pieces of art. There is no question about that.

I wonder if the hesitation from a gallery might be the archival quality of coffee used as a pigment. Do you know or have any resources to know if the coffee stains will last over time? I know that would be a concern of a serious collector too.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:20 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I had a long demo by an archivist who basically said that horrible acid paper could be stabilized by boxing it in a pile of baking soda for a while to sort of neutralize and stabilize the acidity. At my prices, the paper could easily be treated before delivery if they had any concerns.
I did debate that for a while with a friend.
Archival is kind of one of those add Million year guaranty things that can literally drive you crazy. MORE of concern to crafters and historians than gallery owners. Restorers are happy to make a living fixing this sort of thing, but most of what I understand is that tea is a very often used stain in paper for pen and ink drawings.
I believe my biggest issue is the paper.
Nobody wants to buy things under glass. REGULARLY I hear, "Do you have any oils?" so I am working to perfect this look on canvas. Again, if I start hearing that archival is an issue, I have also been told to LITERALLY dissolve soda in the tea or coffee as it is applied. Might be fun.

I have a lot of misgivings about the selling advantages of archival. I always finish my pieces with a varnish, even the watercolors on canvas, but only as a courtesy. I know ONE restorer. I may take it up with him, but I am at "emerging" status right now, not "investment" as of yet. The key is to be sure the buyer understands that ANYTHING on paper cannot fight sun. That UV filtering glass beats out any archival anything. Using a UV acrylic sealer to me is all hype, as the product has not been around so long as to PROVE its durability. Old master techniques work for what they do. An acrylic varnish on a painting keeps reminding me of a trip I took to Stratford upon Avon.
They thatch the houses roof every 25 years or so and put chicken wire across it to hold it against wind. When technology came in they figured nylon, which was completely inert, would be a better idea than the rusting fencing. In less than 10 years it was rampant with mold! The plastic was crumbling from the sun and the natural rusting was fighting the usual culprits that ate the straw.

I decided to just be forthright and say what I was doing. No magic or mystery. The galleries had not problem. Mostly other artists and MORE crafters who buy the fancy paper. BUT it has crossed my mind.
dj*

Last edited by djstar : 04-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Suffolk countryside, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstar
I have a chance to be at a really good art walk. Nobody has yet to say exactly what I am expected to do, but I plan on tearing through as much of my watercolor paper as I can and then ponder more canvases...
Here is the first... lets just see how many I can do before tomorrow night....
(I counted. I have over 2500 photos... deciding what to paint is really the hardest part... now to sell them!!)

(photo taken at night... better shooting in daylight to come.)

dj*
Debra...I popped in to see what you were doing these days...and the image has gone!! Looks as if it might be better to upload to wetcanvas then at least we can see what you drew forever!

I've looked at the later ones too...and they are good...very effective with the coffee bg!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels &
Still Life
Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I fixed it. Read on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstar

No idea how the link up top died... uploaded a new shot all clean and lost it from photobucket.... going to try to make bigger pictures.
dj*
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Suffolk countryside, UK

Hails from England

I see what you mean by bigger pictures...but it doesn't work because you can't see the whole picture...you have to scroll when it's that size so it loses it's impact...that's why WC goes with 800 x 800 pixels...so you can see the whole picture at one sitting. He lost his head and shoulders on mine...poor chap! My monitor is big enough for most!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels &
Still Life
Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images

Last edited by *Deirdre* : 04-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

DJ,

Some people will disagree with me, but I really like Jack White's book, "Mystery of Making It." which is availble on

http://www.lulu.com

Just search for Jack White. He is a great artist even though you've probably never heard of him, and an even better marketer. I've read 3 or 4 of his books. I can't say it's turned my career around, but I'm working towards trying to find a market for my art, but I'm also working towards finding the time to paint more.

Jack is very nice and has replied to my emails.

Best wishes!
Donald
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks for the recommendation again.
I have taken seminars from Jason Horejs, also a guru for emerging artists who has a book, and participated in many marketing presentations from the state level to art groups. I was a commercial artist in the marketing business in a previous life. I do agree that there are many great ideas in all of these things. Where I am in my career is a tricky thing. With a lot of resources and even a little savings there are many fast ways to get a name out and many fun ways to be seen. Without any monetary or human (like a partner or a day job....) back up, I am almost ready to write my own book!
From one person you hear "Look professional, they need to see you know it is a business proposition." From another I hear "It doesn't hurt to walk in a door and let them THINK they are discovering you." BOTH are great ideas and no one size suits all fits.
I firmly believe that all of these authors are indeed honest in their advice and trying to be helpful, but I think they are mostly successful in selling the books. Not a put down, but the people I think have the "secret" to success are the successful ones who don't have the time to write books about it.
Sorry, I try hard to invest in materials and it may be shot-gun, but it is just me so I move hard and fast on one thing at a time until I have an idea about whether it is going to pan out or now.
I have to make the art as well as sell it and have had the best luck one-on-one.

My very best personal advise is not to EVER judge or define your audience. The first $1000 I made from ONE person was the girl who worked for the phone company when I moved. She liked the work on the wall, stayed in touch and did five smaller pieces in one year. I always assume there are people out there dying to own my stuff. I never let them say they can't afford it, just sell smaller things.
My whining about galleries right now, is all about the heat of the Arizona Summers! With 90+ degrees already, the business of eye to eye clients will shrivel up and die in a month. This is all groundwork or trips afar.

Heading up to Colorado and the north country of Arizona next. I hope to get a few good commissions and when I have more steady income than outgo, I am going to do wider range marketing.

There are some superstars in this forum and I bet every one of them will start with "what worked for me won't necessarily work for you...." but there is one common thread in all of the advice: Don't give up.
dj*

Last edited by djstar : 04-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.