WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:03 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
LA

Hails from United States
Inhaling propane fumes

Does propane, or rather propylene fume inhalation cause tiredness? I feel like I have a hangover and was in a wreck yesterday, all because the wind was out of the north...and I was south of my torch. Can't think of any other explanation, other than a dizzy virus, lol, so I'm going back to bed..night night, Helen
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
inhailing any fumes from propane, mapp gas, as well as combustion byproducts like CO2 and CO can cause you to get dizzy. they can also kill you and blow up your house. check your ventilation system using a piece of insence to see if the fumes are being properly ventilated. brush on a water/dish soap mixture onto all possible propane leak locations including the regulator, hose, and your torch. get a CO sensor and have it in your work area. and make sure your gas tank and regulator are outside your house.

Last edited by Mark Wilson : 05-14-2003 at 02:26 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Gothenburg, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Propane stops your body's ability to absorb oxygen (LOL I know what it's called in Swedish, but I hope you understand what I mean), maybe that's why you're feeling tired.
Scary, isn't it?

I see Mark gave you a checklist. It's really dangerous so stay safe!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:41 PM
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States
YES!

Propylene has anasthetic effects. CO and CO2 can make you feel sleepy, sluggish and tired. Please make sure that you have adequate ventilation and that you don't have any leaks.
Etsy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
But would the effects persist until the next day? I thought that once you were out of the fumes, you'd begin to feel better.

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 03:01 PM
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States
Emily,

It would depend how much you inhaled and for how long.
Etsy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast
Minnesota

Hails from United States
Depending on how long you were 'in the fumes' it can last for quite awhile. Consider the classic hangover...drink 5-6 drinks (or more) and suffer quite a bit the next morning.

Inhaling fumes is much the same way - you have "injured" your body (and probably killed a few brain cells along the way), and yes, you are going to feel it for a bit.

Open a door. Open a window. Turn on a fan. GET SOME DECENT VENTILATION!!!!!!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2003, 05:11 PM
LA

Hails from United States
OK, guys, I'm outside, with a prairie breeze! How much more ventilation does it take? I have a large wooden screen to block the wind, but i'm still on my HH, because the Bobcat flame is way too sensitive and scary, like it'll burn my hands in the wind. But yesterday I did make some beads which took a long time, encased and such, and the wind was blowing the exhaust my way. Thanks for the advice, from one who has brain damage from other sources already and doesn't need any more of that...Helen
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2003, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Woodburn, Oregon

Hails from United States
Unhappy

I have the same problem when the wind blows from the south, I simply cant use the torch because the wind blows the "bad stuff" back in through the ventalation system. I have made every attempt possiable to remedy it but nothing seems to work. I just made up my mind that when we geet that Ol South wind I should just stick to getting my house work done and not try to make anything.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Salad Bowl of the World, Salinas CA.

Hails from United States
Actually outside with slight breeze and a wood baffle may be the most dangerous of all. Wind currecnts although invisible may be swirling around baffle and pulling the toxic fumes right into your breathing "path".

Think the best solution is a "quiet room" as to air currents, where you can positively control the air flow in a way that pulls the fumes away from you.

As for wind blowing fumes back through ventilation system, one probablly needs to have a vertical stack of system vent that is above roof line of building with a rain cap designed so that any wind is prevented from blowing down the vent pipe.

Dale

Last edited by Dale_M : 05-16-2003 at 11:20 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2003, 11:18 AM
A Local Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Helen, I have been there! More than once... ~shameful look~ The worst - I was torching all day, very cold outside and I had two propane heaters running as well as the torch. I had the garage door open a mere crack, the window open a mere crack and I'm thinking that there's gonna be adequate crossflow? DUH!

I was torching for HOURS and I started getting sleepy, REALLY sleepy so I went inside the house for a break...It wasn't until I stepped outside a half hour later and went back into the garage that I realized what had happened. The garage REEKED of fumes...I shut everything down and sat outside for about an hour (in the freezing cold) just inhaling clean air when I realized what I had done...I didn't feel "right" until the next day.

Now it's windows open all the way, garage door open all the way, the other door open...even if it's snowing outside. I'd install a vent hood but the garage isn't mine and it's a vaulted ceiling, etc etc...

Am
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Under Witness Protection

That's one of my practices...

....every three beads, I shut down and take an outside break. Clears my tiny mind, and once my schnooz gets full of fresh air, then when I step back inside I can pick up odors MUCH more efficiently.

And the litter box gets more regular cleaning.

www.WatkinsStudio.etsy.com
"I am Dyslexic of Borg. ~ Resistance is futile. ~ Prepare to have your @ss laminated."
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
I think I'm going to install a fume hood over the litterbox -- think 1000 cfm would be enough?

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)