WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Suffolk, Unitied Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom
the fox

I know I'm not brilliant like most of you!! I thought I have a go doing something with my new pencils, but I have one problem with this drawing. The shading on the head towards the nose is too dark.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Immortalized

Re: the fox

Oh Wow - I think the color you came up with here IS Brilliant. Your very talented

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Suffolk, Unitied Kingdom

Is OK for a beginner I suppose Karen! Thank you for the comment. The more I do and practice every day I'll become better at it like you lot had said
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Baldwinsville, New York (upstate)

Hails from United States

I too am working on getting better and better. There are alot of wonderful artists on this site to inspire you. Believe in yourself and don't ever give up
This piece is not as bad as you think. We are our own worst critics. Keep on keeping on. Waiting to see your next piece.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Lorraine, the biggest advice I can give you right now is put the black pencil away, draw and sketch more, slow down a bit and have fun with the pencils...you are doing fine. With the dominant color being what it is a dark blue would have been a better choice for the darkened areas or even a darker red, also try building up color while experimenting. Lighter color down first and then over top that with dark's.

Again this is a wonderful piece to learn from and you will see things happen sometimes quickly and other times not so fast. You are doing fine, I look forward to seeing how you progress.

Portraity
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

I know how easy it is to be hyper-critical of one's work but I have learned to be happy that I have even tried something new and definitely acquired a few new skills along the way. I love the colour of your fox. I also think you have talent. Can see you are enjoying experimenting with your pencils. It is a new medium for me too and I am loving them. Keep them coming, Lorraine.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England

There is a lot to like about your fox. You are getting some great advice, especially from George. Just keep reading and studying and most of all drawing.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

OK Lorraine are you ready to watch me as I behave like a complete hypocrite? As the saying goes 'Do as I say not as I do' .
Firstly, try not to compare where you are at with other artists, it is very unfair on you as some of the people you are admiring and comparing yourself too have been using coloured pencil for a lot longer than you.
Secondly, try and slow down a touch -don't rush to finish your work to post it here- we will still be here quietly supporting you even if it takes you much longer than you thought .

Don't allow your anxiety to get in the way of your enjoyment, have fun and don't worry about rules of how it 'should' be done . Having written all this I am very aware that I too am my own worst enemy

I love the colour of your fox and the texture you developed with each pencilstroke, remember to have fun with your colour -there is no reason why you couldn't add a touch of gold and deeper reds to his fur.

Its not supposed to give you an ulcer, lol the complete opposite -relax.

I like how you kept all your pencil strokes going in the same direction, it takes a lot of patience. If you wanted too you could add some dark blue over the black areas it would help enliven the black .

I can't wait to watch what you do next and after that, it is a pleasure to be privy to your burdgeoning talent -thank you for sharing this with us

Ali
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Suffolk, Unitied Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
OK Lorraine are you ready to watch me as I behave like a complete hypocrite? As the saying goes 'Do as I say not as I do' .
Firstly, try not to compare where you are at with other artists, it is very unfair on you as some of the people you are admiring and comparing yourself too have been using coloured pencil for a lot longer than you.
Secondly, try and slow down a touch -don't rush to finish your work to post it here- we will still be here quietly supporting you even if it takes you much longer than you thought .

Don't allow your anxiety to get in the way of your enjoyment, have fun and don't worry about rules of how it 'should' be done . Having written all this I am very aware that I too am my own worst enemy

I love the colour of your fox and the texture you developed with each pencilstroke, remember to have fun with your colour -there is no reason why you couldn't add a touch of gold and deeper reds to his fur.

Its not supposed to give you an ulcer, lol the complete opposite -relax.

I like how you kept all your pencil strokes going in the same direction, it takes a lot of patience. If you wanted too you could add some dark blue over the black areas it would help enliven the black .

I can't wait to watch what you do next and after that, it is a pleasure to be privy to your burdgeoning talent -thank you for sharing this with us

Ali

Ali thank you for your comment. I'll do the blue over the black just as you had said.

I've started on another but in graphite this time and I don't care long it takes me cos I wonna get all the detail of the top feathers on the head oops let the cat out of the bag here

Thanks