WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#391   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:18 AM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States
Re: The Oily Rag....................Come and Chat, April 2012

Marcia, I was wondering about the progress on that second painting...good plan not to rush!

As for people not following through...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #392   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, that reminds me that our hanging committee issued a fiat that said everyone was supposed to show up with paintbrushes, paint trays and rollers, to help remove nails, dap the holes and then paint the panels on Tuesday the 10th. I called and said I couldn't make it, my friend was leaving for Kansas on Tuesday and I wanted to spend time with her then.

So at Wednesday's meeting, many were not very nice to me because I didn't show up! Does any gallery need 14 people to fix up the panels? The last time that happened we just got in each others' way. I was treated as if I had made a commitment, which I didn't, and I reminded them that I volunteer more than many others to do their duties when they can't make it for whatever reason or another.

My real reason was that my back and shoulder hurt so much I couldn't lift my painting hand above my shoulder, so I would only have been in the way. They finished in an hour and went to have lunch, so it was more a social occasion, and I think that was what upset some of them.

I agree with you about one person starting out with a project and abandoning it without even giving the rest a clue about how to handle it, but we supposedly have a cooperative gallery, with assigned or voluntary duties. One committee can't give orders to all the rest.

#393   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:09 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

http://safr.kingfeatures.com/idn/di/...FG Z%22%3B%7D

#394   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

A Good and wonderous Morning to you all , thanks Becc for the lovely wake up pm ...very Nice of you ... Im abit out of it atm ...
  #395   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
A Local Legend

On hanging days at my gallery, everyone is expected to show up (or let the manager know if they can't), and we take our work down, pull our hangers, then someone(s) grabs a tube of hole filler, someone else some sandpaper, someone else a paper cup with wall paint in it, and we fill and paint holes and scuff marks before rehanging. If you want to get your stuff displayed and get out at a decent time, then it behooves you to help out. Admittedly some people don't mind standing around.

The latest issue though, is getting people to volunteer to sit on weekends. I just did my stint in mid March, and there are plenty of people to do it, but apparently some have done it more than others. Ironically, we used to have to do it twice in 3 months, and it never was a problem.

When we relocated, the manager and I were the only two to show up on the first painting-the-walls day. We agreed that it we got more done that day than the next, when nearly everyone showed up.

I think if you called and said you couldn't make it, then it was no one else's business. Some people just love to be martyrs, keep score, etc.

Good morning Sandra!
  #396   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
On hanging days at my gallery, everyone is expected to show up (or let the manager know if they can't), and we take our work down, pull our hangers, then someone(s) grabs a tube of hole filler, someone else some sandpaper, someone else a paper cup with wall paint in it, and we fill and paint holes and scuff marks before rehanging. If you want to get your stuff displayed and get out at a decent time, then it behooves you to help out. Admittedly some people don't mind standing around.

The latest issue though, is getting people to volunteer to sit on weekends. I just did my stint in mid March, and there are plenty of people to do it, but apparently some have done it more than others. Ironically, we used to have to do it twice in 3 months, and it never was a problem.

When we relocated, the manager and I were the only two to show up on the first painting-the-walls day. We agreed that it we got more done that day than the next, when nearly everyone showed up.

I think if you called and said you couldn't make it, then it was no one else's business. Some people just love to be martyrs, keep score, etc.

Good morning Sandra!

Marcia, I'm just trying to imagine all 14 people in the gallery at once, carrying out paintings, dapping and painting the panels, and carrying in their new paintings to hang. It actually makes more sense than having a hanging committee, because then your paintings would hang exactly as you want them! Our hanging committee consists of five people, and some of them tend to issue orders to the rest of us ... I think they would find it a lighter work day if we all participated. I may suggest your solution for the next meeting. One person makes the labels for the paintings so that they're consistent, and adds the list to our inventory. Do you have any other good suggestions as to how that part could be handled?

Maybe give out a type style and font size, along with the business card stock, so that each artist could make his or her own labels?

Sandra, guten morgen, and I hope you start feeling better today!

#397   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Hi Nancy!

Sandra, hope you are feeling better by now.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #398   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Becca, are you through with errands? I just remembered I was going to get a manicure today, but somehow I've misplaced my car keys. I'll get Himself to help hunt when he gets back here. I really need to get this place into the "less is more" habit, but he always fights that...

#399   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, yes, errands are done for today...don't know if I can get the hang of less is more either.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #400   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

ON the less is more theme... I heard from someone you can hire nude cleaning services.
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 04-12-2012 at 07:31 PM.
  #401   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 PM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Do you have any other good suggestions as to how that part could be handled?

Well, one rule we have is no more than 3 works at a time per artist. If they are small, 4 is fine.

We don't have each individual painting labeled. After we hang our work, we fill out a form with artist name, title, medium, and price of each piece. One guy uses this information to create a price list, and numbers each artwork on the list. Then a corresponding numbered push pin is placed next to each piece. Some people don't like this, either because they have to get a price list if they want to know about a painting or they think it's elitist, but the whole effect is a much cleaner, uncluttered exhibition.

All work is hung at eye level, or in the case of 3-D things, put on stands or shelves. The eye level height is 65", and there is a simple formula for hanging things.

In the center of each of our areas, about a foot off the floor, we have a white lucite panel, about 4" X 12" with a small hole in each upper corner for hanging, and our names in plain black vinyl lettering. Since we rotate around, or nameplates have to be mobile too!

There is a wall mounted rack that holds binders with portfolios of our work (and individual price lists if we care to provide them).

Right now, this is the only interior shot I can find, but it sort of shows what I mean, although the nameplates aren't up

This is what the pins look like. They are about 1/4" across and called map push pins
  #402   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, nice ideas...your gallery looks wonderful!!!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #403   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
ON the less is more theme... I heard from someone you can hire nude cleaning services.
my cleaning lady should wear more clothes than she already does
  #404   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States

That reminds me of how my friend in Germany said she saw her neighbor cleaning a window...um, oh, nevermind.....Europeans....

"...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau
  #405   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 PM
WC! Guide
?????

Hails from United States

Sid, at least you have a cleaning lady.

Carey, I can only imaging.
Becca's Fine Art my blog