WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
A Local Legend
Brownsville TX "On the Border, By the Sea"

Hails from United States
Re: ~~~Watering Hole~~~ April, 2012

If you haven't already subscribed to the daily free Kindle books list, here is a link. Then click in the upper left to subscribe.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Gues what - I fixed the sewing machine!

After spending four days and goodness knows how many hours trying to puzzle out what was wrong (it wasn't sewing AT ALL, just not picking up the thread from the bobbin underneath) I was just about to buy a new one.

Seeing as the old thing was defunct, I thought it wouldn't do any harm to pull the bobbin casing apart, just to see (as you do). It was full of dust, so I got the hoover out and cleared that off, then gave it a good oiling with 3-in-1 oil (cos I can't find the light machine oil) - and anyway, it's probably not going to work anyway, so what harm can it do?? Then I put it all back together...

LO and BEHOLD - it is now sewing perfectly again. At first I thought it was just behaving because I had threatened it with the metal crushers, and told it to heal itself. I thought it might be just a temp thing and would go wrong again very soon... But after sewing yards of curtains that my son needed shortening, it looks to be sewing perfectly again.

So I guess I get to keep my old heavy sewing machine a bit longer!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Hi everyone! Wow when Brenda is back it gets very chatty!

There is a lot of homework actually....tons of books to read! And tests, written and cooking ones! And an apprenticeship somewhere later! And yes you should practice cooking, but I doubt I will do that much except on weekends since everyone will be in bed by the time I get home! Doug, I do hope to do a cookbook and illustrate it!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone. Woke up to sleet and snow which is much needed. Hope we get a foot or, better yet, it turn to rain and we get an inch or two.

JayJay, nice that you don't need to get a new sewing machine. Also good news on getting your M&D's caravan ready. Now you need some time for creativity.

I better get back to work. Need to prep for a meeting.

Doug
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Morning All, Gonna be a nice one today. After the pounding we took Friday night, all day Saturday and evening, a little dry-out will be good! I do hate to see it go tho, means Hot is on its way

Hay Mary Lou, Happy Anniversary!! On your art magazines maybe check to see about donating them to a Youth program of some kind..Inter-city Teens at risk or something of that sort?? Just a thought, hate to see all that wonderful art go to to the recycling ben...

...No the out-side gang seams to be gone ...only one little black kitty around...We have new park managers and guess they have been trapping at houses where people have been complaining...They don't like them pooping in their yards. But on the other hand don't care about mice, rats, skunks (and lord knows what else), feces and fleas They are of a mind..that a little poison bait will take care of it, even tho it is against park rules to put out poison, not understanding that for everyone they kill, hundreds are still around.. and with their natural enemys gone..they will keep on coming...

..We just had a family ex-spelled from the park because the guy sat out side and with his 22 shooting Anything, squirrels, birds, cats..ect.. that got in his back yard Yeah, probably wasn't playing with a full deck, but the real scary part, is that he only lived two houses away from me

Hi Brenda, good to have you back..Try not to over do it by trying to do it all at one time...Hope Katie and your Mom are doing well!

Hay JayJay, way to go kiddo...but on the other hand, those new sewing machines are really sweet

Hi to Doug, Linda, Kay, Shirl and anyone I've forgot...Make it a good one!!

Azure

Last edited by aszurblue : 04-03-2012 at 12:32 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone!
I'm glad Tuesdays are my "day off," I REALLY need it today. I will be catching up on recorded TV shows, crocheting and sketching/painting on the book project.

Linda,
I will be soooo interested to hear how the cooking school works. I know you'll do very well

Doug,
There's been so much drastic weather swings this year all over the nation! The moisture is welcome everywhere I think, but a more gradual change would be nice. . .not this 80 one day and 40 the next

JayJay,
WooHoo for you!!! You sound just like me. . .I'll take apart pretty much anything to see if I can fix it. I had bought my DD a very nice Brother machine when she graduated from college and she never used it. A year ago she had a friend who wanted a machine and couldn't afford one, so DD and I decided to give her the Brother. This past fall, DD decided she really wanted a sewing machine again. . .someone gifted her with one and she waited until I was there to help her with it. She hadn't even taken it out of the case. Wow -- it is a New Home, with touch screen -- awesome machine!!!

Shirl,
Thanks for posting that site for Kindles. . .I found a new one recently and your post nudged me to remember to post it here.

Azure,
Wow -- it's a GOOOOD thing they kicked that guy out of the park!! That's very disturbing

ML,
When you finish your de cluttering, come on up to my house!! Wow -- that's a whole LOT of magazines!! I have no suggestions for them.

Wishing everyone a good and creative day
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Mary Lou- do you have a Half Price Books there? They buy magazines!

Jayjay, yea on the sewing machine! Unless you needed an excuse to buy a new one of course!

Azure- yipes on your creepy neighbor! Especially after hearing about the horrible school shooting in your state yesterday! I was afraid at first it might be Brenda's school...

Doug- WHOOOO!!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

I meant to say THANK YOU SHIRL for the link! I am now subscribed for free Kindle books! YEA!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestMoon
Doug- WHOOOO!!
Name:  babies-st.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  180.4 KB
Another great shot by a coworker (Joe Wingerd).

The third baby left the nest this morning so won't starve.

Doug
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Aww Doug, those little owls are so cute!

Harvest and Azure - yes, I was actually looking for an excuse!! But I rarely make anything these days, I'm usually only repairing or shortening things, so I don't really need a new machine. Especially not this month, as I have the MOT due on the car (we have to have a road-worthyness certificate each year, called the MOT to stay legal on the road) and I have a nasty feeling that there will be something major and expensive this year. So I'm glad I managed to fix the old sewing machine.

Brenda - a Newhome - they are the biz! WOW!

Well it's now 11.45am and I'm still sitting here in my dressing gown... time to get up and dressed. Art club this afternoon so I'd better get going! It's blowing gales here, interspersed with rain and sleety snow, uck!

Here's my darling machine! Notice my 'tools' alongside?
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Doug what a stunning photo! I love the downy little feathers peeping out! You would think the birds would not lay eggs up there until later in the spring when it is warmer!

Jayjay that machine does have its charm!

Good morning to everyone! Have been awake at 6 every morning this week, but not able to drag myself to the gym at that hour!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
A Local Legend
Northern Arizona

Hails from United States

'morning all

Had our appointment with the tax preparer yesterday - thank goodness there were no surprises...

Poor DH is not starting retirement well - he's caught a miserable cold and is lying on the couch He *had* an appt. for an echo stress test today, so had to reschedule that, but IS keeping the doctor appointment this afternoon. And cancelled his outing with his cousin for the ballgame tomorrow...

JayJay, I'll have to take a photo of my sewing machine - it was my Mom's - a Kenmore from about 1939!! Still have the booklet that came with it...

Doug - great photos - and happy the 3rd baby owl left the nest!

Azure, that's frightening!! We have some sick twisted people in this world... other than kicking out the weirdo, I wouldn't be too happy with the new managers putting out poison... The tenant who lives on the other side of the duplex we're moving into told us he's an ex-soldier diagnosed with PTSD and told DH he has a gun in his car... not too happy about that one...

Linda, I just checked - the only Half Price Books in CA are all in northern CA. I put the magazines on Craig's List, and if they don't sell I'll put them in the yard sale. After that, instead of recycling, maybe I'll donate them to the Art League.

B, wow, you're jumping right back into a busy schedule! , after I get finished de-cluttering here, I'll most definitely think twice before I keep more 'stuff'... I'm going to get rid of the bed in the guestroom so I can start stacking boxes in there... it's a good thing we have so much time, because the older I get, the harder it is to get motivated...

Shirl, hope things are improving for you!

I was pleasantly surprised this morning - I have about 6 pms for the books I listed in the Swap Shop! Gonna get busy replying as soon as I get some breakfast...

Time to get a move on - waving to all... have a most creative day!

Mary Lou - Fountain Valley, CA
My Reference Photos
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM
WC! Guide
Palmdale, CA

Hails from United States

Good morning everyone!
DH and I have Sam's Club on our list today -- the only thing good about that errand is when it's over and everything is put away We also are going to Kohls to get Austin's Easter clothing, THAT will be a fun errand.
Speaking of Easter. . .here's a pic of my grandgirls in their new outfits I bought in MI. They are sleeveless dresses with matching coats (I only got one shot of the dresses without the coats and it didn't turn out so well )

Doug,
Awesome shot of those owlets!! How fun it must be to watch them fledge.

JayJay,
My sewing machine is a 1984 Newhome and I have no desire to upgrade. I'm like you, the only sewing I do any longer is mending and alterations. The last time I used it to really sew anything was when I made my suit and five bridesmaid dresses for my DD's wedding 7 years ago. I used to sew a LOT, but it's not the savings it used to be.

ML,
DS is taking the day off on Fri, so he and I are taking Austin to the Huntington. Austin has been asking to go there for since before I went to MI. You and I need to compare calendars and get our date set!!
So sorry your DH is under the weather. . .hopefully it will be a short-lived virus.
I looked at your books on the swap forum, but I have ALL the ones you are getting rid of I think donating the leftovers to the local league is a great idea!!

Wishing everyone a good and creative day
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado

Hails from United States

Good afternoon everyone. The sun is out and it is a gorgeous day.
I'll go hunt out the babies this afternoon and see if I can get some new pics.

Brenda, GDs are cute in their Easter finery.

ML, does DH have a retirement strategy? Most men don't have enough interests that could fill the day for any length of time.

I did start filling in my color mixing journal last night with the charts from when I took the class. Just doing it neater than I did then Takes time to fill in a row of 18 squares doing even step color changes between a pair of colors. I did do 10 rows of just pale wash to full color of each of the 10 colors we were allowed to use just for reference. Tonight I start the mixing and will do violets (from 2 shades of blue and 2 shades of red).

Linda, the owls lay there eggs about January. Cold only delays when they leave the nest. It is also interesting in that they can't fly well when they leave the nest and can be severely injured since the nests are up high (just under the roof of a two story office building). It takes about a week before they can fly up as high as the nest.

Busy day here at work so need to get back now that lunch is over.

Doug
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Mary Lou awww poor hubby! He must have exhausted himself! He must feel sick to miss the ball game!

Brenda what an adorable photo of your GDs! Katie looks a bit pale, but what a trooper!

Doug wow they could be injured so badly by dogs, etc! What a nice protected place you have for them there!