WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 02:19 PM

source for .05MM (or less) clear/amber PVC sheets for Stencils

Wonder if someone can help. I've been using 'found' materials to make my stencils - in my case, cereal box type cardboard, sealed with Golden Mediums satin gel medium. The paper eventually gets pretty floppy and hard to clean after a billion impressions.

I am thinking if I could get a-hold of some of that thin PVC type stuff that drafting stencils are made out, I could create stencils that would be easily cleaned and reused for a long time. On line I can find sources that will sell me tons of it by the roll (bleah). Has anyone seen anything like this by, say, the sheet in sizes like... 9" x 12" or so? That old yellow-amber stuff my dad had on his drafting table with the circles and shapes. It was stiff but floppy, thin enough to be a good stencil but sturdy enough to be washable.

I'll keep looking but if anyone has seen anything like or where?
thanks
Mark
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: source for .05MM (or less) clear/amber PVC sheets for Stencils

I know the stuff you are talking about Mark
we used those templates way back in architectural drafting when I was in high school
not sure if these are still around as drafting has gone hi-tech with computers and CAD software nowadays...you might have to try EBAY or see if there might be some companys in your community that have drafting supplies and may have still some of the old tech stuff laying about in the back rooms.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Have you considered using Mylar, drafting film or acetate? I have used these for stencils as the sheets are quite thin, very flexible and are washable to reuse.
I am assuming you want something with precut shapes though correct?
if this isn't an issue here is something I found Blick selling
http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-stencil-film/

also something else that might be applicable
http://www.dickblick.com/products/sc...art-mask-ease/

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 03-19-2012 at 05:29 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridog
I know the stuff you are talking about Mark
we used those templates way back in architectural drafting when I was in high school

I am assuming you want something with precut shapes though correct?
if this isn't an issue here is something I found Blick selling
http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-stencil-film/

Brian:

Actually I was thinking of NON cut sheets so I could cut my own shapes. Mylar would work, but the 'feel' of that slightly thicker (but still not TOO thick) stuff appeals to me. Something that has the thickness of cereal box cardboard but easy to wash. I actually wash my cardboard stencils (they are coated with gel medium) but after awhile they get a little limp.

The sheets on Dick BLick *may* actually be pretty close to what I"m looking for. I wish I could get it in my hands before buying... *sighs*
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

you might be able to get Blick to send you a sample piece if you ask
Jim Noble is the contact person for product info. at Blick
1-800-828-4548

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
France

Hails from France

When we had the misfortune of breaking a limb or foot trampling or other hand .. we had radiographs and often they are kept at home .. why? Then when I need I use for the stencils is great and very strong .. hey! hey! and economic ..!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clode
When we had the misfortune of breaking a limb or foot trampling or other hand .. we had radiographs and often they are kept at home .. why? Then when I need I use for the stencils is great and very strong .. hey! hey! and economic ..!!

Hah!
well I'm going to head out and break a leg and collect some X-Ray films (har har)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by clode
Goodness... What a fabulous idea! I knew I had kept those around for some purpose. Thanks, Clode.

I was going to suggest transparency film for inkjet printers that you can pick up at Office Max. The down side is they come in boxes of 75 (at least here in Puerto Rico) and they are standard 8.5x11 paper size.

Diane
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Swords, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

I have friend who was a radiographer and I know they always have xrays that are over or under developed and discarded... or they used to have anyway - it may all be digital now. No harm in calling the local hospital, they may have boxes of old plates. We used them as the 'windows' when building architectural models, way back before that became a digital art too.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Eagle Nest, NM

Hails from United States

Might overhead transparency film be good enough? It is pretty inexpensive these days as the demand is low.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjjm
Might overhead transparency film be good enough? It is pretty inexpensive these days as the demand is low.

I guess what I'm looking for is something about as thick as those drafting stencils/templates - thin almost like cereal cardboard but not floppy like transparencies. The idea being that I could easily wash the (water based) inks off between uses. Transparencies would work but would probably not last as long, tearing easily or getting creases. BUT if that is the cheapest, most available, then I'm all over that.

In the Gelatin monoprint process having a clean 'top' of the stencil is key. My cardboard pieces get nasty over time and washing them is tricky.

mark
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Eagle Nest, NM

Hails from United States

OK, I get it. There are flexible cutting boards that seem to be about as thick as my drafting stencils. They are very flexible and inexpensiveMy stencils are hard, though, and seem thicker than 0.5mm.

Here is a link to just one example: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=13615004 I have some in my kitchen that sound thin enough. They are very durable.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
OK, I get it. There are flexible cutting boards that seem to be about as thick as my drafting stencils. They are very flexible and inexpensiveMy stencils are hard, though, and seem thicker than 0.5mm.

Here is a link to just one example: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=13615004 I have some in my kitchen that sound thin enough. They are very durable.

bingo!
that may be the ticket. Thin enough to cut with scissors or exacto knife into shapes, sturdy enough to be washed repeatedly, but also thin enough that they don't 'displace' the paper when it is pressed down on it. I've tried some slightly thicker, rigid plastic and it sort of 'tents' the paper and the impression is bleah.
thanks. Bed Bath is not a place I frequent but I'll have to check them out this weekend.
Markj
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Eagle Nest, NM

Hails from United States

Great! I think amazon has some you can use. Most kitchen stores do, but they cost more than BB&B. You might try a Dollar store or Target, too. I think I got mine at Target or Wal-mart.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Great! I think amazon has some you can use. Most kitchen stores do, but they cost more than BB&B. You might try a Dollar store or Target, too. I think I got mine at Target or Wal-mart.

I'm all over the Dollar Store!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I'm all over the Dollar Store!