WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States
Viridian Green

I'm having a hard time finding Viridian here in Brasil. I have limited access to W&N and Maimeri Classico, the latter of which doesn't seem to make viridian. Any idea what Maimeri's closest color is to viridian?

Also, anyone know any thing about Van Gogh paints or Rowney? I've heard good things about Van Gogh, but I'm not familiar with them. I've never heard of Rowney.

Also finding it difficult to find Raw Sienna, but at least that exists in some capacity here; I just need to find it.

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Sydney, Australia

Re: Viridian Green

I was lucky enough to scoop up some Rowney Artist's paint for 75% off last December. I highly recommend them. They have a great consistency and I swore never to use the student version (Georgian) or any other student grade paint after I used these. I rate them higher than WN but that's just me.
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Alexandria, Australia

Hails from Australia

I've had some Van Gogh paints and found them ok but a touch oily for my liking (could be they spent too long on the shelf before I bought them). They seem to be more popular in the US than here in Australia, so better comment might come from there.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 AM

Hails from United States

You may want to consider Pthalo Green. W&N manufacture it under 'Winsor Green'.

From Dick Blick's website(dickblick.com):
Quote:
Phthalo Green is considered a very good alternative to Viridian because it is intense and mixes well and can be used to emphasize mineral colors in various tints. However, its tinting strength is very high, so it can overpower other colors. This pigment most closely resembles the discontinued and toxic Verdigris.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast
Framingham (Boston) MA

Hails from United States

Re: phthalocyanine green -- there are a couple of shades

Closest to viridian (and sold with that name or "viridian hue" by several manufacturers) is phthalo green, blue shade. In the W&N Artisan line, it's simply "phthalo green blue shade."

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States

Thanks folks. I figured phthalo green was the alternative, but wasn't sure. Also wasn't sure if phthalo green was in fact the same as phthalocyanine. It seemed obvious that it should be, but wanted to be sure.

I gather from Sandman's comment that maybe Viridian isn't made by anyone anymore. Is this true? Not speaking of watercolors, etc, but oil.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Viridian seems to be a rather expensive pigment and possibly for that reason is not included in many student grade paints.

Perhaps your shop in Brasil isn't getting the full line of W&N, because they do have Viridian in both their student line (Winton) and the artist grade. They also have a Viridian Hue - which is Phthalo Green pigment.

Maimeri Classico does not have a Viridian as you mentioned, but does have a Phthalo Green.

Van Gogh student grade oils has a Viridian Hue consisting of Phthalo Green and Brown Ochre.

Georgian also has a Viridian Hue that is Phthalo Green.

Probably every or nearly every artist grade line has a true Viridian, which is pigment PG18. One way to get the pigment information, is to go to Dick Blick's website. If you click on the item no. of any individual tube color, you get pigment information and a color swatch.

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/oilpainting/

Hope this helps.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I've never used Rowney paints.. I have used Van Gogh in the past and didn't mind them at all.. although I've read that Van Gogh are a student grade and Rembrant is the artist grade.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Enthusiast
Long Beach Ca

Hails from United States

Don: Thanks for that link, really helpful
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

BLICK is offereing 40% off WN - one of the best artist brands you could ever buy.....
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Alexandria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Sennelier still sell Viridian in their artist range. Blick is not always the cheapest supplier especially after postage is added, look around if you are going to buy by post (if you search Google you will find the major sellers until you get to page three or so, after that you need to look for best price).
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

In the brands I've used, I find the pthalo green (BS) is a bit greener than the true viridian. Brands differ but phthalo is so much stronger and cheaper than virdian it would be well worth a bit of side by side mixing to approximate viridian.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 AM
Alexandria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Phthalo Green is quite different when mixed with white, Viridian (at least in the case of the Sennelier product) gives a turquoise when mixed with white and is very strong in tint. Phthalo Green on the other hand moves to a paler green but I dont find it has quite the tinting power of Viridian. As always different manufacturers get quite different results so this only stands for the colours I'm using.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Sydney, Australia

Art Spectrum do a series 1 version of Viridian labelled 'Spectrum Viridian'. If you have a look at the swatches on the AS website it's probably the closest substitute for true viridian. I'll be trying it out next week when I run out of the overpriced pigment.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Curitiba, Brasil

Hails from United States

Good to know about Van Gogh paints. Thanks!

And that´s a good link, thanks Don. It doesn´t help me much here in Brazil with regards with ordering, but it helps to make some decisions.