WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I live in a beautiful village by the sea in the south of Portugal called Milfontes (1000 fountains)

Hails from Portugal
Two roses (please move to structured)

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Two roses (please move to structured)
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 70cm x 50cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was inspired by a reference photo from this site.
Thank you stephie20.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=52316

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I appreciate any comments and critiques (constructive, of course).
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I live in a beautiful village by the sea in the south of Portugal called Milfontes (1000 fountains)

Hails from Portugal
Re: Two roses (please move to structured)

Please say something! When i ask for constuctive critiques i just mean that i would really love to know what and where it's wrong so i can learn something. This is my first still life and i'm very interested in your opinions on composition, lights, shadows, etc...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

ok, you may have to wait. People may be in other time zones, not on the computer or this forum at this very moment.
I thin the flower petals are lovely, satin looking and interesting variety of shapes. I think your stylized leaves are good, as well as your red pot. But the composition is very plain. I mean you have two flowers, leaves and a red vase, all exactly in the middle of the picture. Nothing off center, nothing cropped off, nothing leading us out, or in, to the picture. I think it would be more interesting cropped.
just an example:

http://www.artallison.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Hails from Portugal

Thank you for your comment Allison. I hope you didn't find me inconvenient, it was not my intention. It's just that i'm posting here all the paintings i'll be showing next month and i'm really desperate for some feedback. About your comment, i do understand what you're saying and that is why this one is bothering me so much. My first exhibition is going to be all about flowers, leaves and trees and this is the only one where i included a pot. Maybe if i had just made the table with one corner showing it would have improved it...?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

Nice job on this painting, however the leaves look lined up. I would suggest darking some and highlighting some to show some shadowed behind the others. This will add depth to your painting, you did this pretty well with the petals. Keep painting.

Each person is a thread in the fabric of all mankind. Because of this, it makes a beautiful tapestry.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hi ana, things are very slow around here!

I think your painting is very well done. I would like to see the flower petals appear less outlined, edges fading in and out. Maybe some darker shadows. The top flower, in particular, seems a bit flat. I agree that the leaves could use more depth.

I find the vase to be too small in proportion to the flowers and its color bothers me, being so bright a fire engine red, with the background coloring. Although I do like reds with terra cotta colors. I think some bright highlights on it might be nice.

hth
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

As other have commented, the roses looks good (could do with some edge touches as pointed out). Leaves look to regimented (you could just drop leaf 1 and 3 left bottom starting counting from left).

The vase, table and the flowers presence in the room does not work for me. If the vase really looks like that, it's color would have to be reflected into the roses, and on to the table. The table's color must also be reflected into the vase.

The vase sits unnaturally positioned on the table, almost at the very edge. It appears to be wrong in perspective / bent - perhaps caused by the shape of the shadow on its right side.

I think one improvement would be to more clearly state the direction of light - it looks a bit flat (as if painted from a head-on flash picture photo). Compare it to the photo that inspired you, see how it has a very strong sense of light and shadows. It is very hard to imagine the effect of light on something as complex as a rose - so if you did this all from imagination - kudos.

Hope this helps you.