WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Wiltshire. U.K.

Re: Jullian Collection French Easel Serious Quality Issues.

NancyMP. Looking at the second picture showing the 'hook and eye' setup. I see that you have used 'countersink head' (tapered) screws to fix it to the easel. They are used to fit into countersunk holes to leave a flush finish. I suggest you change them, and any that you are going to add with another 'hook and eye' fitting, for screws with a 'flat' underside to the head. Self-tapping screws have such a head, sometimes referred to as 'pan-head'. They will give you a greater contact surface to surface area between the parts and be more secure.

autolisp
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChesleyJohnson
I've got Jullian and Mabel easels, and I think the Mabefs are better-built and with superior materials. I avoid the faux French easels that you can get for under $100; they tend to fall apart within the year. I've got a lot of easels!

Under $100? I bought this easel in 2008 for about $42 bucks and it still is under $50 now. I will say with any French easel, you must be mindful of tightening all the screws and wing nuts. They do fall off easy if you don't. The legs on this one seem very sturdy.

http://www.mrpearl11.com/french-ease...es-studio.html

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
LAWSONVILLE, NC

Hails from United States

I recently replaced the knurled nuts on my cheap "Italian" easel (Looks French to me! ) with wing nuts and lock washers. I also keep slip-jaw pliers in the box to really tighten them down.

My current problem is a wood screw that has chewed itself a larger hole. I tried a matchstick to fill it, but the screw came out again. And that's with the easel just sitting in my living room. I'm considering whether to do two matchsticks + glue, or go for nuts & bolts.

--Rich
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Wiltshire. U.K.

RiJoRi. and anyone else with this problem. Have you thought of using a 'Tee' nut, sometimes called a 'prong nut'. They are threaded nuts that fit on the reverse/inside and do not require two hands to tighten. The 'nut' is actually a flat washer with integral threaded section and three or four prongs (teeth) that are pressed into the wooden surface, giving a flat if not flush surface. The bolt is then inserted from the opposite side to clamp your 'leg' or anything else in place. Furniture manufacturers use them all the time. They come in a range of thread sizes/diameters and are available on eBay for pennies each. All you have to do is drill the hole to fit the threaded section through. They should do the trick. I use them all the time for woodworking projects.

autolisp
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
center city Philadlephia, PA

Hails from United States

I have replaced the wheel nuts on the arms of the lid with wing nuts, which I find easier to tighten and untighten.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

I'm out there 4-5 days a week painting, and I put these easels through their paces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail
Under $100? I bought this easel in 2008 for about $42 bucks and it still is under $50 now. I will say with any French easel, you must be mindful of tightening all the screws and wing nuts. They do fall off easy if you don't. The legs on this one seem very sturdy.

http://www.mrpearl11.com/french-ease...es-studio.html
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
center city Philadlephia, PA

Hails from United States

which easel/s ? how old is it/are they ?

Last edited by wedding painter : 03-05-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: duplicated
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

I thought I'd look for a thread about c****y Jullian French easels!
I thought I was getting a bargain importing a half Jullian easel (and umbrella) at a third of local prices from Dick Blicks, but within weeks of getting it screws were falling out and it was falling apart after using it very few times I have since bought an inexpensive full size local one, but finally got round to 'fixing' this one today with nuts and bolts and little brass plates... here it is before filling up the splits with glue... maybe I will try using it again!

I've just noticed looking at the photo that I may not be able to get the drawer open to rest the palette on... it could be an inconvenience... or else back to the drawing board

Mac
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Dana Design

LOL, Mac! Yep, that drawer is going nowhere.

My Julian full size easel also fell apart and as I have no patience for nuts and bolts, it sits in my painting shed gathering dust.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Hi Mac, the easiest solution is to get some “T” nuts, they would fit nearly flush on the inside allowing the draw to pass. You need to clamp those splits closed for most glues to work unless you use epoxy. Also that top rail looks to be out of place and needs gluing.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States

No matter the manufacture (and it does matter) of your "French Easel", I concluded many moons ago that there must have been some other implication to the French as part of it.... .. When one get's too stressed-out over the mechanics and attitude of same, they make great kindling on colder nights! I was at a SoCal art club meeting last week and a wonderful, tank-like FE came up as a raffle prize, even including the name/signature of a noted painter of yester-year. What happened? NOBODY wanted it, finally, someone offered to take it and immediately "gifted" another with it..
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Hails from Australia

Dana at least it is usable now, the screws don't catch when I try to close it... and also the little clamps line now to lock it (had trouble with them right from the start!)

Dave I'll have a look for "T"nuts... never heard of them before (not being a real woodworker) sounds just the thing, and it would only need 2 of them.

Mac
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
and it would only need 2 of them.
They probably only come in packs of Six Mac!
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Hails from Australia

just thought I'd add, that I realized on getting back to my studio that when the lid is raised the box slides out no problem, so as far as I'm concerned the easel is fixed and back in action again!

Mac