WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Is it possible to get a hue close to "Mars" Burnt Sienna (PY101)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Folks, why do you mix an orange burnt sienna color with a lot of paints (blue, magenta, green)?
First, we need 1 good transparent orange and 1 good transparent black. I guess, Perinone Orange PO43 + Gas Black (Lamp Black). Mix them first and then try to correct resulting hue with other translucent paints if necessary!

Yeah, I talked about Perylene Orange and Mars Black, but Perinone Orange also seems like a suitable mix. The problem is that is very pricey compared to the original color, so the mix is not worth the price (assuming an orange pigment + black will work as expected). Mars colors are very, very cheap to produce and, as a result, to buy. The only problem here is that if I want an artist-grade color, the only brands in my country are Windsor & Newton and Amsterdam, which I have to buy through the internet. Corfix does have "Transparent Iron Oxide" in acrylics too ("Mars" Sienna?) But I have to see if it behaves like its oil counterpart and if it's matches W&N's finish.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Folks, why do you mix an orange burnt sienna color with a lot of paints (blue, magenta, green)?
First, we need 1 good transparent orange and 1 good transparent black. I guess, Perinone Orange PO43 + Gas Black (Lamp Black). Mix them first and then try to correct resulting hue with other translucent paints if necessary!

I have PO13 tube only (not lightfast and enough translucent) but it looks very close to my Burnt Sienna mixed with finest particle size carbon black.
Quote:

Yeah, I talked about Perylene Orange and Mars Black, but Perinone Orange also seems like a suitable mix. The problem is that is very pricey compared to the original color, so the mix is not worth the price (assuming an orange pigment + black will work as expected). Mars colors are very, very cheap to produce and, as a result, to buy. The only problem here is that if I want an artist-grade color, the only brands in my country are Windsor & Newton and Amsterdam Standard, which I have to buy through the internet. Corfix does have a "Transparent Iron Oxide" in acrylics too ("Mars" Sienna?) But I have to see if it behaves like its oil counterpart and if it's matches W&N's finish.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

i have winsor newton galeria burnt sienna pr101, but pr101 variations are so wide that in different brands they will have entirely different masstone, undertones, transparency, etc.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Corfix is well known Brazilian brand but I have newer seen color swatches or colour chart.

Mythrill, translucent iron oxides paints are not cheap here in our country and seems to be twice more expensive than Titanium white, Yellow ocher.. e.t.c.

Last edited by Gigalot : 02-20-2012 at 09:44 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Corfix is well known Brazilian brand but I have newer seen color swatches or colour chart.

Mythrill, translucent iron oxides paints are not cheap here in our country and seems to be twice more expensive than Titanium white, Yellow ocher.. e.t.c.

That's strange. From what country are you from? Iron oxides (PR101) tend to be cheap because they can be produced without using earth – all you need is iron and then oxidize it. Windsor & Newton itself places "Mars" Sienna in Group 1 – the cheapest. The same goes for Corfix Transparent Red Iron Oxide / "Mars" Sienna, which is group 1 (Oils).
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

I meant, translucent forms of Iron Oxide, both - PY42tr and PY101tr (in oil) are not cheap. You can see for example:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/ma...ro-oil-colors/
which is 1,5 times more expensive in transparent form than opaque

Maimery is popular brand here in Tbilisi.

Another popular brand http://www.koh-i-noor.cz/en/art-club...ve-barvy-praha
are about 1,8 times more expensive if translucent oxides.

However, common opaque PR101 like English Red, Caput-Mortuum, and also Mars Black Pbk11 are cheap!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I meant, translucent forms of Iron Oxide, both - PY42tr and PY101tr (in oil) are not cheap. You can see for example:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/ma...ro-oil-colors/
which is 1,5 times more expensive in transparent form than opaque

Maimery is popular brand here in Tbilisi.

Another popular brand http://www.koh-i-noor.cz/en/art-club...ve-barvy-praha
are about 1,8 times more expensive if translucent oxides.

However, common opaque PR101 like English Red, Caput-Mortuum, and also Mars Black Pbk11 are cheap!

Since you are an oil painter, have you considered buying iron oxide powder and mixing it yourself? Contrary to many paints, you can get high-quality iron oxides (PR101, in particular) even from chinese manufacturers.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

We talked about Chinese paints with Chinese painter here on WC. He said there are two trusted Brands in China: one is W&N and the second is Shanghai Siic Maries I have 6-7 tubes.
White and Iron oxides are perfect and less expensive. Other colours are non-yellowish, slightly less pigmented, a bit waxy (better to work with palette knife) and dries slow (~6-10 days). But I love slow drying paints!

Some pigments we can prepare at home and often use Vine black, powdered Red Iron Stone and transparent brown earth which I found on the hill near my house. Last pigment is my favorite!
I am natural colored earth fun.

Last edited by Gigalot : 02-21-2012 at 05:39 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
Australia Sydney

Hails from Australia

One can create a transparent black with Pthalo Green and Perm alizarin crimson or a quin red mix to a neutral color not too green or too red.
I use this transparent in watercolor also and oils.When mixed with other hues I don't create mud. Pr 101 can be a transparent or an opaque this pigment is used to create other hues.
querin
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by querin
One can create a transparent black with Pthalo Green and Perm alizarin crimson or a quin red mix to a neutral color not too green or too red.
I use this transparent in watercolor also and oils.When mixed with other hues I don't create mud. Pr 101 can be a transparent or an opaque this pigment is used to create other hues.
querin

Querin, the artificial counterpart of Mars Sienna (PR101) is usually transparent, and ranges from a brownish, high chroma color. The undertone, however, is a bright earth-orange. That's where it shines: I can create a powerful, earth-like orange by adding red to the orange dilutions, making a more powerful version of Raw Umber (PBr6) by mixing it with PR101, or depending on the proportions, something that resembles Burnt Umber. I worked around my problem using another brand of Transparent Red Iron Oxide (also PR101), which has an red masstone instead of brown, but also has orange, high chroma tints.

The opaque version... I just don't think it is as versatile. It might be a good color for portraits, but the transparent version also is. I have both versions, and I still have to explore the properties of the opaque version of opaque PR101 (mine is an earth-like red as well), so I'm not sure of what it can fully achieve.

Last edited by Mythrill : 03-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.