WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States
bad art

how do you kindly tell a person you don't like someone's work? either in a class situation (you're teaching) or in a gallery where there is a body of work that just makes you cringe? not work that simply isnt' your style but I mean really BAD art.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland
Re: bad art

Two words come to mind; nice and/or interesting...
To be honest you are probably better off just telling them you think it's poor work. It will be better in the long run.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Did they ask for your opinion?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Immortalized
Ohio

Hails from United Kingdom

I am with Robin, did they ask for your opinion? Why do you need to share that opinion? or are you hoping that by sharing why the art is bad to you it will provide some value to the person hearing it?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

If they ask your opinion try to offer constructive criticism. Find something to help them improve their work.

Failing that, if you want to be polite or nice to them just say that it is not your cup of tea.

"I don't like it." is easier to hear than "Your work is bad art."

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

After reading about art for a while, I've realized that a lot of so called advances in art were caused by artists who were considered "very bad" artists, and work that was considered "not artistic" or "really bad." I tend to stick with cowardly cliches myself, that are technically well done but yet have no soul. Nice art that is "pretty" but means nothing, and so on. Recognizing my own cowardly, trite ways, I would like to move on to more deforming, gouging out eyeballs, using cryptic methods, and junky technique to get off the "pretty" and "nice" bus.

You just get yelled at if you tell anyone anything they don't want to hear. I have tried to be honest in the past, but my honesty has never made me many friends. People want "yes men," not honest people.

In a gallery or learning situation I think it is better to not give any "Judgement" and say, "your work has a lot of Van Gough's color choices," or "Pollock's energy" or, "reminds me of a Paul Klee." Or you could tell them it reminds you of something. Always make a criticism in a way that refers to another artist. You may hate the picture but say "I like the muted tone, it reminds me of a Wyeth," or "The composition reminds me of a Kandinsky." This means absolutely nothing, and is pandering and pawing as far as I see, but if it is between that and saying someone is a horrible artist, then chose the "comparative" approach. It will earn you less death threats and nasty stares.

Do you always need to tell the truth, or tell every one everything that is on your mind? Goodness no!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
WC! Guide
I am as excited as a chameleon in a bag of M&M's

Hails from Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
Do you always need to tell the truth, or tell every one everything that is on your mind? Goodness no!

In a class situation I'd say yes. That is what they are paying you for, your opinion as the teacher.

Art by Greg Long . My Blog -- Business questions? Want ideas? Why not come join us in the Art Business Forum
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Scary to think an art teacher doesn't have any idea how to crit.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

The word we used when I took an art class in high school was "expressive". As in "that is a very expressive piece". What exactly it was expressive of was always left unspecified.

In a class situation I would expect more honesty about quality. If the work is hung in a gallery I really would just expect some polite social noises, but no really serious critique.

Even in a gallery though, if I really don't like something I will probably say so.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Immortalized
Ohio

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
Scary to think an art teacher doesn't have any idea how to crit.

eek, I agree.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

I have an easier time when teaching, mainly due to the kindness of those who've taught me. and at that time, I am trying to help them, and ask them what they think, what about it makes them happy about their work and then try to give advice on how to improve on what they want to improve on.

this situation is an artist who is in charge of hanging works and aquiring works for a gallery. she is in love with work that i see as very poorly done...the drawing is horrible, the colors are muddy and the materials cheap. I am not saying the only good art is total realism, in fact, I jsut bought a painting that is somewhat abstact. love it! but its very well done, not sloppy. (not to be confused with being overly tight! nope, its loose as could be!)

I am happy the person doing it enjoys it, but I would place a big bet that it will never sell in the gallery. and I do not wish to offend anyone, for any art they like!! its not my job, but I just know this person is going to ask me about this other's work, and eek, I dread it. I like the 'expressive' term, as this IS true, it is that.

this is a thread that would've been better off in person, as I certainly mean no harm to anyone at all, nor am I implying all I like is the only thing 'good'. I don't have to like a certain piece to at least be able to enjoy that its GOOD art. I just have a feeling this is coming out all wrong sounding, here in type. sorry.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html

Last edited by chewie : 02-16-2012 at 09:39 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Ask her what she likes about it. Maybe there's something there you are missing? All you have to say is "it's not to MY taste".
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM

My work hangs in a gallery where there are a couple of artists who have work I don't like. However they are very good. I don't like their subject matter, style, colour choice etc., but they are very good.
There are also a couple of people represented who's work I don't like and I feel it's just awful.The compositions aren't good, poor use of materials and application of such, cheaply framed,etc.
The owner and I frequently talk about the work hanging in the gallery. Usually the work that I consider "bad" is work she has hung because she has been badgered into it. It's a small town and it's her business.
I always give someone honest feedback when they ask for it. Determining if that is what they are really asking for can be tricky.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Louisville, Kentucky

I try to keep my opinion about the quality of artwork to myself unless someone asks.

If someone asks, than it depends on the situation and how strong my opinion is.

If I have a definite negative opinion about a certain aspect of the art, I'll say so. If I'm talking to someone else who isn't emotionally invested in the artwork, then I'll speak freely, but I still try to be diplomatic. If it's the artist I'm talking to, then I speak much more carefully. I would much rather have someone else be honest but diplomatic with me in their opinions of my work -- or anything else important in life -- than to spout white lies.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Just ask the person if they are open for some suggestions. Either that person will be receptive to the idea or they won't. It's that plain and simple.