WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Coxsackie, NY

Hails from United States
Can Anyone Recommend A Printer?

I'd like to purchase a printer that will print nicely on a variety of papers from thick (such as handmade and watercolor) to thin (such as vellum). I'm also looking for it to print on a variety of sizes from 4x6 to 11x14. I'm not sure what a realistic price range is, I was hoping to keep it under $300. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Coxsackie, NY

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Can Anyone Recommend A Printer?

So, just in case anyone else was looking for a printer. I ended up purchasing a Canon Pixma ix6520 wide format (up to 13x19) and so far I'm really thrilled with it. Easy to set up and easy to use ... ink use seems really reasonable so far and the cost to purchase additional ink isn't exorbitant. Got if for $149 and shipping was free.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Re: Can Anyone Recommend A Printer?

Thanks for the tip! I'm in desperate need of a good printer that is also in the $300 range. Do you find your colors to be true on the Canon printer? Also, you said that you print on a variety of materials... how does it work on different papers? All I hear about is Epson, but I can't afford it right now.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Coxsackie, NY

Hails from United States

So far I've been really pleased with the color ... the price on the ink (and the ink use) is more reasonable than what I've seen for Epson. Medium wise so far I've been using pretty standard papers and clear window cling and it's printed really well. I haven't tried anything too crazy yet. I have a shop in Coxsackie and we're busy getting signage done & setting up for Christmas, so I probably won't get too artsy with the paper until January. I'll let you know how it goes.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Smile Re: Can Anyone Recommend A Printer?

Hi 7thStone, just joined a few days ago.
Just read your post.
I'm also very interested in the Canon ix6520 printer.
Amazon gives high marks for this.

I'm using an old mac G4 .... MDD dual 1.4 GHz .... and OS 10.4.11.
Do you know if this printer will work with this set-up?
I read somewhere that it will if I have a USB 2.0 card installed .... will just be slower!

Go any ideas on this?
Anybody else please answer ....
This is the only question stopping me from purchasing one.

thanks, lynny
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Coxsackie, NY

Hails from United States

Hi Lynny,

I'm not very familiar with Macs, but the systems specs for the printer state that it will work with Mac OS® X v10.4.11 to v10.6.x

Here's the service & support link for Canon
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...viceAndSupport

Under "Got Questions" they have contact info for getting in touch with tech support by email or phone. I hope this helps; I'm really loving my printer.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM

I have read that and much more.
Have been trying to get this information over the last couple of days.
I did read from a retailer yesterday, that it works with mac OS 10.3.9.
I shot off an email to them .... asking if that was a "type-0".
Hope not, because that means "yes" it will work with a "Power Mac G4" ... which is what I have.

Will give Canon a call also.

I have been running 4 of these macs (for years) and plan on using them for the near future.
Can't afford to up-grade .... too much software would have to be replaced.

So, maybe I'll get some "good news" from someone tomorrow when they open.

Thanks for the quick reply!

lynny

Last edited by lyndon18 : 11-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Coxsackie, NY

Hails from United States
Question Re: Can Anyone Recommend A Printer?

Hi Lynny,
did anyone get back to you today with helpful info?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Sorry, I didn't get back to you until now.
I did find out from canon.com
Yes, it will work with my mac G4.

Waiting on a package from amazon.com
Should be here Friday.
I ordered 13x19 premium Glossy paper also.
After I learn what it's all about, I'll see If I can upload a file of what I'll be painting .... hopefully.

Thanks for your posts.

L
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM

UPS just delivered my printer.
Will be back after I set it up and print some colors.

L
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM

hello 7th stone, trying to find on canons web site where to register my printer .... no such luck.
Called canon today, recording said a agent will be with you.
I waited for about ten minutes and no one got on the phone.
No a very good business practice.
Did you get yours registrated ?
Where and how?

thanks, lynny
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

7thStone

"I was hoping to keep it under $300. Does anyone have any suggestions?".

I've always used Epsons. I have 2 - an expensive 3000 series and a 2000p. The 2000p is more than 10 years old and still going strong. In its day it was expensive but with an outstanding spec. I see one on eBay for $50. I recommend it.

Joe.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Argyll, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

I have two comments to make about printers.

1) Most printing is b&w for letters etc. If you use your multi-cartridge inkjet for this you will be paying through the nose, because whenever any one cartridge runs out and is replaced it uses up a bit of ink from ALL the cartridges in the setup routine (epson is particularly bad for this, but not exclusively). Therefore, it is worthwhile getting a laser printer (such as a Brother desktop printer) for your normal printing runs. Much quicker too.

2) For printing out photos you still need an inkjet, but the printers are sold for little or no profit in order to sell you expensive ink. Install a CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) instead, and the price of ink becomes negligible.

I have done both, but the second would deal with the problem of black running out, too. You just buy ink in bottles and keep supply topped up.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 AM

I am needing a printer for my notecards. I do pencil and watercolor and mostly paint animals. I use thin notecard paper in vellum and linen. I really love the linen look. I've been using my xerox which I've had for nearly 4 years now. But the ink is running out on all 4 cartridges, and they are expensive! Was thinking of getting a newer printer where the ink is not so high with only a black and a color cartridge, but with still a quality look like the xerox gives me. My budget for it preferrably is 150 and under. Been looking at the canon pixma's. Some reviews are high some, not so much. lol
Saying the ink dries out and having to buy frequently. So thought I'd come to those who use it for same purpose as I do. I'd appreciate any replies.Still going to use my xerox, but buying the cartridges one at a time as I can afford it. lol Just a little high, especially right after Christmas.:P Thanks again for your help! Carolyn
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Baltimore, Maryland

Hails from United States

I can definitely say stay away from the Pixma if you want good quality on non-inkjet paper. My wife and daughter always want to print greeting cards on different types of paper and they always come out horrible on our pixma at home. If we use inkjet paper, the results are ok, but not as good as you would get with an 8 color Epson.

If you want good quality images for cards, make sure you are using a paper that has an inkjet coating with an inkjet printer. If the paper does not have a coating, your color will be muddy and dull regardless of the printer. Professional solvent inks are needed to print on regular papers.

I use Hahnemuhle watercolor paper for my art printing business and the coating is probably one of the best out there. Legion is also a good. You will have to google these brands and buy online but they are much better than anything you will get at your local computer store... They usually also have profiles you can download to use with your printer. If you don't know how to use the profiles.. have someone else print your cards, it will save you a lot of headaches.