Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Stretch before or after

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Dick

I read an interesting blog recently where the artist claimed to stretch the paper when the painting is complete. I still haven’t tried it because I don’t have a board to staple to.

I have been painting without taping or stretching with the belief that I can stretch later if I care to.

Dick Hutchings
        Daniel Smith Essential 6 colors and Arches 140#

As I use 1/4 sheet or less and use 200lb Saunders Waterford Rough I don’t stretch.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

rabbitone

With 1/4 sheet Arches I don’t stretch. With a ½ sheet I stretch before and mount it on my board to dry.

Eliminate timidity. Failure is only experience to get us to the next level.

I stretch the paper while I’m painting it. I wet it with clear water during the first washes, at the areas that I haven’t painted yet and at the end I simply iron it.
            If the paper is heavy weight and I have to work with details I don’t stretch it at all.
            If I want to work wet in wet on a heavy paper I wet the underside ( I spray it with water) then I lay it on my painting board where it sticks because it is wet and then I spray the front side and I proceed with my painting.
            The paper gets stretched this way by itself.

Bulbul

I don’t stretch either before or after at all.

Johndk

Using 300 gsm (140lb) no stretching. I prefer not to stretch, because this process upsets the sizing properties.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

frodron

If you look at Steven Cronin or Dave Usher videos you will see a method of stretching the paper as required whilst painting.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

MarekB

I do not stretch – favorite size half sheet of 140/300gr, when wet, sticks well to any plastic/plexi board.. when if buckles just lift the wet sheet, then slap it back on! Instant flat!

Dick

If you look at Steven Cronin or Dave Usher videos you will see a method of stretching the paper as required whilst painting.

I see that Steve uses binding clips to stretch as he goes. Haven’t watched Dave yet. Thanks, I’ll check Daves vids later.

Dick Hutchings

Dick

I see a few of you just rely on the wet paper sticking to a plexi-glass board. I don’t have a board yet but I’ll try this when I get one.

Dick Hutchings

frodron

Hi, Dick,
                                        Dave Usher uses exactly the same method as does another artist named Alan Owen.
                                        They all seem to use it for painting what I believe is called “Big Brush Watercolour” which I first came across being used by an artist named Ron Ranson.
                                        This type of painting uses plenty of water, initially, hence the need to stretch the paper.

Cherish yesterday,dream tomorrow,live today

Triduana

I usually work on quarter sheet or A3 cold press or rough (140lb) and I always stretch it first by wetting it and taping it to a board. If I work smaller than that it’s usually because I’m doing a quick sketch or experiment and I don’t stretch my paper. I don’t tend to stretch HP paper as I don’t use as much water with that.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

baeserj

I’ve tried stretching a few different ways and could never get them to work for me. problems came up when trying to removing the tape. Since then I just use masking tape on a board and go to it. another way I paint is to use 300# paper.lately most of my paintings are 1/4 sheets

Ron B.
                                                [FONT=Verdana]"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grow up." Pablo Picasso

Auj

Has anyone tried that “Perfect Paper Stretcher” that I saw on Ken Bromley?

Ellen E

I don’t stretch the paper. I”m really new to watercolor painting. I use a Strathmore block and just rely on that. It buckles, though, so I think maybe next time I buy a block, I’ll try a better grade of paper.’

I also like to use a Pentalic sketchbook for smaller things. I like Pentalic because the quality of the paper is good and it’s got the same tooth on the front of the page and the back of the page. I’ve found that in painting on both sides of the Strathmore paper, the back of the page is smoother than the front.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.